Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

HELP me decide -- TREK FX SPORT 5.0 or SIRRUS X 5.0

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 07:59 PM
repsolracer22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So ive narrowed down my search to 2 bicycles basically.

TREK FX SPORT 5 (not to be confused with FX or Dual Sport)

and

Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

-- Im 40, in good shape and want to get a nice bike for fitness and exploring. Currently, my riding is 100% street, but investing in one of these bikes has me interested in expanding a bit into hard packed gravel stuff too. So Id like the new bike to be able to handle that as well. I like these bikes and just want to see if anyone knows anything more about either of them that I'm not considering.

Both bikes are carbon frame & fork. Both are about $2000.

The Specialized Sirrus 5.0 X has a really cool new style frame design. I love how it looks. Only been out for a year, so not a lot of reviews on how they hold up, or if there's great comfort or too much bouncing, etc. Also has the head tube suspension (future shock).

The Trek is $200 cheaper, has a nice GRX drivetrain. Not sure if the drivetrain on the Sirrus is better or not (sirrus uses SRAM).
Old 05-25-24, 08:37 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by repsolracer22
So ive narrowed down my search to 2 bicycles basically.

TREK FX SPORT 5 (not to be confused with FX or Dual Sport)

and

Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

I have the older model Sirrus X 5.0 and am happy with it, but... I personally didn't find a lot of benefit in the Future Shock. Maybe it helps more on skinny tire bikes like the Roubaix which transmit more vibration from the road to your hands. On my bike with 43mm tires at 30 psi it just doesn't seem to do much except add some weight, complexity and proprietary parts to the front end. I'm also not sold on the new 'pentagons and rhombi are better than traingles" geometryof the newer model X 5.0. Kudos to Specialized for trying new ideas, but I don't feel like being a guinea pig.

That said I'm also not thrilled with the way Trek got rid of standard 100/142 thru axles and went backwards to a 100/135 QR wheel system on the current model FX's. So for both the Sirrus X 5.0 and Trek FX Sport I prefer the previous model to the current iteration.

All of my caveats probably won't affect you if you just want to take the bike out and casually ride around. Both will work fine for that. Just be aware of their foibles.
Old 05-26-24, 04:22 AM
repsolracer22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
I have the older model Sirrus X 5.0 and am happy with it, but... I personally didn't find a lot of benefit in the Future Shock. Maybe it helps more on skinny tire bikes like the Roubaix which transmit more vibration from the road to your hands. On my bike with 43mm tires at 30 psi it just doesn't seem to do much except add some weight, complexity and proprietary parts to the front end. I'm also not sold on the new 'pentagons and rhombi are better than traingles" geometryof the newer model X 5.0. Kudos to Specialized for trying new ideas, but I don't feel like being a guinea pig.

That said I'm also not thrilled with the way Trek got rid of standard 100/142 thru axles and went backwards to a 100/135 QR wheel system on the current model FX's. So for both the Sirrus X 5.0 and Trek FX Sport I prefer the previous model to the current iteration.

All of my caveats probably won't affect you if you just want to take the bike out and casually ride around. Both will work fine for that. Just be aware of their foibles.
yea thanks a lot for that info. I wondered about the future shock myself. Riding on the street mostly, I didn’t know if that shock would even matter. But there are some hard packed trails out there I’d like to ride, so figured it might be nice.

but the Guinea Pig thing for sure. There’s essentially no actual review videos out there of real world buyers to discuss that new frame. Just bicycle stores selling it. Id love for some real buyers out there that put it through its paces to actually comment on it.
Old 05-29-24, 03:55 PM
GGreenhorn

Bikes: Giant Escape 3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have a Specialized 2021 Sirrus X 5.0 Flat Bar Road Bike and a 2014 Giant Escape 3... Opposite ends of the Hybrid spectrum including cost.
I'm getting up there so my observations might differ from your needs. Also a bigger fellow, 6'-2" - 260lbs.
Both fit me well. I find the seat on the Giant more comfortable than the Specialized.
I have a ton more miles on the Giant than I do the Specialized.

Specialize is light and quick, no two ways about it. I'm not a biggest fan of the future shock if it is now as it was on the 2021. On pavement, nice going straight, throw it into a quick sharp turn and I think it gives a little there and I don't care for that. Throw the front wheel to 10 o'clock and it seems like there is a little forward mush or something. It is very nice on gravel. Also 1x12. I like a few more gears to pick from. Oh lastly this is not a bike you can put a rack on regardless what they say (maybe the seat post?). This is a two door sports car in a sense, it lacks versatility.

I love my 2014 Giant Escape 3. Nothing fancy, just does what it's asked. I have thousands of miles on this bike.
I like lots of gears and a low - low as I do a lot of hills. I'm not embarrassed by how low the gear, just as long as I get to the top of the hill.
I also like that it can have a rack (and a bag). Stopping at the store, stuffing in another layer just in case. Keeping keys, phone, wallet...
This is an SUV in a sense. Not the fastest, but versatile. Not slow as I once clocked just over 40mph on a big downhill by my house.

In terms of drive train, I have no complaints with the modest drive train on the Giant .

I bought the Specialized because I thought I needed to "move up". In hindsight that is accurate to a degree, but the Specialized is kind of a little too focused for me. I like the versatility of the Giant. Honestly I've wondered what I might do about the future shock... Stiffer Spring or standard Fork... live with it?. A bike somewhere in the middle might have been better.

On another note I just spent $200 on a tune up for the Giant. I'm no good with a wrench on a bike. I probably have spent 3x or 4x the cost of the bike on maintenance and repairs. Most of it was due to use, I did have a few issues with spokes and rear axle. I think that was due to my size, aggressive riding and entry level materials on the Giant. Love this bike though.

So personally I would suggest Specialized Sirrus X 4.0 based on the pros and cons of the two hybrids I have. Buff it out rack, bag, bottles, seat pack... and ride the heck out of it.

Between the other two, both beautiful bikes that I think would serve you well. Both a little fussier than a mid line Hybrid.
One is a little more forward in design and the other is a little more standard. Sharp edge of the knife (Trek) or tip of the knife (Specialized).
About the Specialized frame, jury still out for me. One minute I love it, the next I'm trying to wrap my head around it.
Might just come down to fit?

Last edited by GGreenhorn; 05-29-24 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-29-24, 08:06 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by GGreenhorn
Honestly I've wondered what I might do about the future shock... Stiffer Spring or standard Fork... live with it?. A bike somewhere in the middle might have been better.
If you don't like it you can just get rid of the Future Shock. Several folks now make a rigid rod that replaces the Future Shock cartridge. Eliminates the give in the front end and saves 150-200g weight. Prices range from $85 from the guy who developed it first, to $61 for simpler versions available on Ebay, to $13 for a copy of the Ebay version from AliExpress. Though I don't get a lot out of the Future Shock, I ride my Sirrus on enough rough dirt where every little bit of cushioning helps that I'm not rushing to get rid of it either. That said, I did pick up one of the cheap Chinese copies and may try removing the Future Shock after another riding season.
Likes For wayold:
Old 05-29-24, 09:43 PM
GGreenhorn

Bikes: Giant Escape 3

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
wayold Thanks for that. I watched the install video and not a big production. Appreciate the links might have to give it a try,
Old 05-31-24, 12:29 PM
badger1

Liked 1,240 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by wayold
If you don't like it you can just get rid of the Future Shock. Several folks now make a rigid rod that replaces the Future Shock cartridge. Eliminates the give in the front end and saves 150-200g weight. Prices range from $85 from the guy who developed it first, to $61 for simpler versions available on Ebay, to $13 for a copy of the Ebay version from AliExpress. Though I don't get a lot out of the Future Shock, I ride my Sirrus on enough rough dirt where every little bit of cushioning helps that I'm not rushing to get rid of it either. That said, I did pick up one of the cheap Chinese copies and may try removing the Future Shock after another riding season.
Very good suggestion about the FS replacement. In my case (Sirrus X Comp Carbon [now called the 5.0]) I've found the FS extremely effective and unnoticeable in practice. It helps, though, that mine (the original 1.0 version) was defective and replaced under warranty with the full-on hydraulically damped/adjustable version. There is a distinct difference.