Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Missoula to Pueblo

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Seattle to Missoula to Pueblo

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 07:15 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Liked 2,000 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This maps includes the route I followed in 2019 to get the start of the CdA Trail, which I took to Wallace, ID before turning north. I got the impression from talking to a local that the route along the St. Joe to Avery, ID can be busy on the weekends. (The campground I stayed at about 9 miles outside of Avery on a Monday had tons of hang tags left over from the weekend crowds.)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29428535

Also, I opted for I-90 down from Lookout Pass to Mullan (Yes. It's legal. And all Interstate Highway mileage in MT is open to bikes. ) because it was getting somewhat late and I was tired of gravel. The other option is to take the NorPac Trail down from the pass.

In general, I would leave Missoula on a Sunday. There are two unavoidable stretches of I-90 you have to ride on. Traffic will lightly be lightest on a Sunday. Those section were not bad at all the two times I rode them. (2017 and 2019)
awesome map route.
Old 05-25-24, 09:08 PM
pigmonkey

Bikes: Rodriguez Rainier, Rodriguez Makeshift High Roller

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks! I'm planning to fly into Spokane and do a clockwise loop, so there's some overlap with other parts of your route I can copy.

I haven't snapped this to all the exact routes yet, but the rough idea is https://cycle.travel/map/journey/583185.

Old 05-25-24, 09:11 PM
pigmonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
there is some construction on I90 West of Frenchtown where it would suck riding on a bike as not much shoulder over the bridge and lots of traffic. the tourist season is on us and traffic is heavy all the time even on Sunday now. I ride from Frenchtown to Alberton and back several times a week. the gravel sections are smooth and good chance of seeing animals. If it were me I would take Mullan road from Missoula to Frenchtown simply because the I90/Hwy93 is not a bike friendly place unless you know some of the side roads and if you don't know about them they would be confusing. Mullan does not have much of a shoulder but traffic is light and most people will give you some room as the only people who use it live out there. This was a few days ago between 6 mile and 9 mile and a couple days earlier a big herd crossed right in front of us at a full run it was impressive watching them jump a fence all running together at full speed. I have not been on the gravel part of the St Joe out of St regis for a couple of years but last time they had just finished running a road grater over it and it would have been terrible on a bike. not sure if there is a way to find out the status of when they grate it.
Good to know. Thanks. It looks like cycle.travel is routing me on Mullan road anyways.
Old 06-04-24, 11:28 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts
pigmonkey If it were me leaving Sandpoint I would go north on 95 and then east on 2. Having ridden that whole loop Sandpoint to Bonner's Ferry to Noxon and back to Sandpoint I found the ride from Bonner's Ferry to Troy the most beautiful part of that loop. I would hope others that have ridden the Chafe 150 could chime in and agree/ disagree with me.
95 north of Sandpoint has plenty wide shoulders. and is fairly flat, considering the area topography. While your route along the eastern shore of the lake has a lake on one side and a mountain on the other. Traffic volumes on each will be about the same.

If indie beer is your thing and you are planning to overnight in Sandpoint there are great options there.
Old 06-04-24, 12:53 PM
pigmonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
pigmonkey If it were me leaving Sandpoint I would go north on 95 and then east on 2. Having ridden that whole loop Sandpoint to Bonner's Ferry to Noxon and back to Sandpoint I found the ride from Bonner's Ferry to Troy the most beautiful part of that loop. I would hope others that have ridden the Chafe 150 could chime in and agree/ disagree with me.
95 north of Sandpoint has plenty wide shoulders. and is fairly flat, considering the area topography. While your route along the eastern shore of the lake has a lake on one side and a mountain on the other. Traffic volumes on each will be about the same.

If indie beer is your thing and you are planning to overnight in Sandpoint there are great options there.
When I originally started thinking about this loop I figured I would go through Bonner's Ferry. Then when I started actually looking at maps I saw that the Northern Tier stuck to the Clark Fork in this section. I figured the ACA must have a reason for that, and that it made sense to default to their route where applicable. But maybe their reasoning is to cut down on excess miles for the whole coast-to-coast ride. I'm doing this loop just to enjoy the pretty country for a bit, so I'll revert to the original thought and go through Bonner's Ferry. Thanks!

Though if I am deviating from the Northern Tier here, it also raises the question of if I should head south from Bonner's Ferry and go through Troy and Libby, or stay north and follow the Yaak River east straight to Eureka. The latter option sounds fun.
Old 06-05-24, 06:38 AM
indyfabz

Liked 16,195 Times in 7,603 Posts
Originally Posted by pigmonkey
When I originally started thinking about this loop I figured I would go through Bonner's Ferry. Then when I started actually looking at maps I saw that the Northern Tier stuck to the Clark Fork in this section. I figured the ACA must have a reason for that, and that it made sense to default to their route where applicable. But maybe their reasoning is to cut down on excess miles for the whole coast-to-coast ride. I'm doing this loop just to enjoy the pretty country for a bit, so I'll revert to the original thought and go through Bonner's Ferry. Thanks!

Though if I am deviating from the Northern Tier here, it also raises the question of if I should head south from Bonner's Ferry and go through Troy and Libby, or stay north and follow the Yaak River east straight to Eureka. The latter option sounds fun.
A couple of things:

1.Going to Frenchtown, there is a rideable rec path/sidewalk on the other side of the river from Mullan Rd.

2. The Yaak River Valley is a great ride. Pete Creek Campground, a few miles south of the center of Yaak, is a nice place to stay. The falls you pass on the way there are cool and make a nice place to stop for lunch.

3. Noxon, mentioned above, has camping in the town park. It was $10 in 2019. There are shelters in case it rains. Pit toilet, water and electricity. It’s right along the river. Decent market for a small town, but it was only open until 5 or 6. The bar is open later and I believe has food. The town residents were really nice.

4. US 93 from Eureka to Whitefish is not fun.

5. The private campground a few miles west of the center of Troy has great cabins.

6. If you head to Libby on U.S. 2, you absolutely must stop at the gorge/falls. Put you trust in humanity, take you valuable and make the walk down. Personally I like the falls better, but the gorge is nice, too.

Showers in Noxon:

Yaak River Falls

Yaak River Falls

Bridge over the falls

Kootenai Gorge

Kootenai Falls. A filming location in "The Revenant"

Kootenai Falls

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-05-24 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For indyfabz: