Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 04:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Do you feel the same way as you do about VA Tech.'s bicycle helmet testing about, for example:

1. The Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS-HLDI)?
2. Underwriter's Lab (UL Solutions)?
3. The Michelin Guide (MICHELIN Restaurants – The MICHELIN Guide)?
4. Moody's Ratings (Ratings.Moodys.com/ratings-news)?
5. Energy Star ratings (Homepage | ENERGY STAR)?

And if you answer yes to all of the above, are there any certification or ratings entity that is not selling something?
Not that I think their test methodologies are always really that great, but Consumer Reports disallows any use of its ratings in marketing.
Old 05-25-24, 04:59 PM
Koyote

Liked 11,461 Times in 4,891 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Are you sure there's no licensing fee to use their logos and star ratings?
You’ve demonstrated how bs works: suggest something with no evidence and hope some gullible fools will believe it.

If you’re going to make an assertion, the onus is on you to demonstrate its veracity. Until then, there is nothing to suggest that the first paragraph at this site - particularly the last sentence in that paragraph - is false.
Old 05-25-24, 05:45 PM
PeteHski

Liked 5,250 Times in 3,240 Posts
I have no idea how their research is funded, but they don’t appear biased toward any particular helmet manufacturer, which is all I would be concerned about as a consumer.
Old 05-25-24, 06:12 PM
PeteHski

If we get into the test protocols, and how these originally came out when MIPS was being introduced, there are simply in my mind, more questions than answers.
MIPS' selling point, is primarily I believe based on reducing concussion incidence from rotational impacts, with the MIPS liner providing some rotation give that can prevent that. However, then why have a test protocol that eliminates all of the pre-existing mitigators of rotational impact when testing a helmet, such as:
1. Humans (most) have hair.. this moves
2. Humans have necks, the heads on top of them bend and rotate
3. Humans have a scalp/skin -- which slides a bit over the cranium underneath
4. Humans often wear helmet liners or thermal caps for sun protection and/or insulation in cold weather.

Rather, the test protocol is strapping a helmet strongly to a somewhat tacky, hard, and bald immovable head form. Given that Va Tech at least for other sports, seems to actually test those helmets with bendable neck forms, this seems very strange. With VaTech's test methodology, it does support MIPS, as it MIPS does introduce a slip plane to a test object that has none of the normally naturally-occurring ones that aleady exist.
Okay, so you have basically made up your mind that their test protocols are deliberately biased to favour MIPS and therefore you don’t believe any of their helmet ratings and it must all be a marketing scam. That’s fine, but I’m not that cynical.

The way I use their ratings is to simply filter out all the lower rated helmets. There are now so many 5 star rated helmets to choose from at different price points that I think it makes no sense to look at any of the lower rated ones - unless you have a better source of independent crash testing which conflicts with these ratings.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-25-24, 10:11 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Okay, so you have basically made up your mind that their test protocols are deliberately biased to favour MIPS and therefore you don’t believe any of their helmet ratings and it must all be a marketing scam. That’s fine, but I’m not that cynical.

The way I use their ratings is to simply filter out all the lower rated helmets. There are now so many 5 star rated helmets to choose from at different price points that I think it makes no sense to look at any of the lower rated ones - unless you have a better source of independent crash testing which conflicts with these ratings.
I actually don't think anything is deliberate to favor MIPS, but when MIPS came out, the test methodology wasn't updated in order to isolate and prove out the incremental benefit that MIPS claimed. On the other hand, the existing methodology they kept using is going to naturally favor MIPS. Put another way, the MIPS helmets' design is more likely to succeed in the test setups that existed. Maybe comparable, but reminds me a bit of how a number of years ago, tires got wider than their nominally specified widths, and low and behold, those tires would win the rolling resistance reviews.

Sure, I'd probably buy into the idea that on a relative basis, certainly you should pick a 5-star vs a 3-star and not be any worse off. I do note that they seemed to have upped their review volumes. They now label what you see as 2024 edition (can't find historical editions it seems?), and already have 233 models tested only 5 months into the year. That is impressive. Not sure when they dropped actually indicating the date of each test; I'd prefer to be able to see that.
Old 05-25-24, 10:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,124 Times in 3,128 Posts
I always consult Virginia Tech’s ratings, just like I check out Rolling Resistance for tires. I like data to influence decisions especially when it comes to my physical and mental well-being.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-26-24, 06:30 AM
Koyote

, but when MIPS came out, the test methodology wasn't updated in order to isolate and prove out the incremental benefit that MIPS claimed. .
That is how methodology works: you don’t alter it to accommodate different test subjects. You come up with the best test methodology, and then stick to it… And as you acknowledge, in the methodology, MIPS helmets perform better.

Maybe comparable, but reminds me a bit of how a number of years ago, tires got wider than their nominally specified widths, and low and behold, those tires would win the rolling resistance reviews.
RIMS got wider, which made tires plump up beyond their nominal widths. And in many cases, that is indeed faster.
Old 05-26-24, 08:33 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Koyote
That is how methodology works: you don’t alter it to accommodate different test subjects. You come up with the best test methodology, and then stick to it… And as you acknowledge, in the methodology, MIPS helmets perform better.
I don't see how or why methodology couldn't be improved. Especially as it now seems that VaTech presents yearly editions of their reviews. They could switchover to better testing that better emulates real human head/neck forms. Yes, you remove possibility of seeing apples-apples comparisons of current products vs yesteryear's, but so be it. I do find it odd, if they still have the data, that I can't look at their scored result of a helmet I bought 2-3 years ago. Maybe they have an archive section I haven't located yet?
Old 05-26-24, 11:46 AM
Koyote

I don't see how or why methodology couldn't be improved.
Well, I’m sure that you know much more about this sort of research and testing than all of those people with PhD degrees who do it professionally.
Old 05-29-24, 10:34 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Liked 1,728 Times in 1,110 Posts
OK... Late getting back to this thread... I think we need a distinction between Road/Hybred/Mountain bike helmet and e-bike helmet. Some of the e-bikes I have seen around here are scooting around at near 30 MPH. 30 MPH needs a different type helmet then a bicycle helmet.
Old 05-29-24, 10:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,021 Times in 3,455 Posts
I'm not sure why a e-bike needs a different helmet for >30mph. Wouldn't that mean those of us on regular bikes going faster than 30mph need a different helmet?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-30-24, 06:18 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by zandoval
OK... Late getting back to this thread... I think we need a distinction between Road/Hybred/Mountain bike helmet and e-bike helmet. Some of the e-bikes I have seen around here are scooting around at near 30 MPH. 30 MPH needs a different type helmet then a bicycle helmet.
This is the Road Cycling subforum, so we probably don’t need to worry about other types of helmet here.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-30-24, 06:27 AM
PeteHski

I don't see how or why methodology couldn't be improved. Especially as it now seems that VaTech presents yearly editions of their reviews. They could switchover to better testing that better emulates real human head/neck forms. Yes, you remove possibility of seeing apples-apples comparisons of current products vs yesteryear's, but so be it. I do find it odd, if they still have the data, that I can't look at their scored result of a helmet I bought 2-3 years ago. Maybe they have an archive section I haven't located yet?
Their test methodology may well evolve and improve. But since it is probably the best independent information currently available freely I’m just going to stick to their 5-star rated helmets which also meet my other personal preferences ie fit, weight, ventilation and appearance. FWIW I currently have a Lazer G1 MIPS. Ultra-light, great ventilation, 5-star rating, good fit system and doesn’t look like a mushroom. Price was quite reasonable too on sale.
Old 05-30-24, 06:36 AM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
Late to the thread but the university is a non profit institution. It is not the same as an organization that has been created or developed and charges a fee to use their logo. Even if VA Tech charges, those fees (just call it profit) go back into the research and not into the pockets of their researchers.
Likes For howaboutme:
Old 05-30-24, 07:38 AM
Koyote

I do find it odd, if they still have the data, that I can't look at their scored result of a helmet I bought 2-3 years ago. Maybe they have an archive section I haven't located yet?
Coming back to add this: I easily found the score for my five-year old helmet...So we'll add this to the list of things about which you are just wrong.

Bear in mind that they don't test every single helmet -- so your helmet may not be listed because it wasn't tested.
Old 05-30-24, 02:18 PM
Camilo

Liked 1,293 Times in 824 Posts
Buy a helmet that you like the fit and looks (color, shape) of. Everything else is far on the margins (IMHO, non-expert).
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-30-24, 04:04 PM
kinnessa60

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I guess expensive one got an improved airflow which increased vents and enhanced ventilation to help you stay cool during extended rides. Also reduced strain like the lighter weight to minimize neck strain and fatigue, particularly during longer journeys. And an upgraded comfort which provide an enhanced padding and customizable fit systems for a more enjoyable riding experience. But in any cases better to have at least a helmet. One time close friend of mine did not have in his riding session. And that time he crashed and got a brain injury. Lord bless Ontario that they have a lot of injury lawyers like that one we found at https://www.bergellaw.com/catastroph...-legal-rights/. So all the expenses were covered by gov and now he is is like a brand new coin.

Last edited by kinnessa60; 05-31-24 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-30-24, 04:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Coming back to add this: I easily found the score for my five-year old helmet...So we'll add this to the list of things about which you are just wrong.

Bear in mind that they don't test every single helmet -- so your helmet may not be listed because it wasn't tested.
Got a link to the other years' editions? I was here which is titled 2024 edition, where I'd assume to find a link to 2023, 2022, etc editions or their archive.
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicyc...t-ratings.html

I realize they don't test all helmets or brands. They rely on corporate donations (monetary or product). While the reviews aren't biased by intent, I do wonder if what they review is based on who sends them product to review?
Old 05-30-24, 04:33 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by howaboutme
Late to the thread but the university is a non profit institution. It is not the same as an organization that has been created or developed and charges a fee to use their logo. Even if VA Tech charges, those fees (just call it profit) go back into the research and not into the pockets of their researchers.
Isn't that a slippery slope? Research costs money (eg. salaries). those fees are perhaps are therefore returned into funding operations. Yes, they're a non-profit, but there's still incentive to continue operations.
Old 05-30-24, 04:36 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Their test methodology may well evolve and improve. But since it is probably the best independent information currently available freely I’m just going to stick to their 5-star rated helmets which also meet my other personal preferences ie fit, weight, ventilation and appearance. FWIW I currently have a Lazer G1 MIPS. Ultra-light, great ventilation, 5-star rating, good fit system and doesn’t look like a mushroom. Price was quite reasonable too on sale.
It should evolve and improve. Actually, interesting question IMO as to the timing of their bicycle testing platform and reviews launch preceded, was concurrent to, or came after MIPs helmets entry into the market?
Old 05-30-24, 04:37 PM
Koyote

Got a link to the other years' editions?
I just typed in my helmet’s brand and model name in the search box, and it showed up – even though it’s been replaced by about three updated versions since I bought it.

They rely on corporate donations (monetary or product).
Provide evidence or stop making such assertions. As it is, you are just making stuff up and posting it to the Internet.
Old 05-30-24, 04:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I just typed in my helmet’s brand and model name in the search box, and it showed up – even though it’s been replaced by about three updated versions since I bought it.

Provide evidence or stop making such assertions. As it is, you are just making stuff up and posting it to the Internet.
I can find my helmet model with the search, but there's nothing to tell me which year's model it is (eg. Bell Z20 MIPS). So if they call their reviews the "2024 Edition", I assume it's what they're selling this year.

There's the below. Somewhere buried in other donation instructions, I think i originally found them on the U's website elsewhere, it mentioned ability to accept product donations as well. I'm not going to search again right now though.
Old 05-30-24, 05:11 PM
Koyote

I can find my helmet model with the search, but there's nothing to tell me which year's model it is (eg. Bell Z20 MIPS). So if they call their reviews the "2024 Edition", I assume it's what they're selling this year.

There's the below. Somewhere buried in other donation instructions, I think i originally found them on the U's website elsewhere, it mentioned ability to accept product donations as well. I'm not going to search again right now though.
In other words, (1) they do indeed list your helmet, (2) you have absolutely no evidence that they take money from the helmet industry.
Old 05-30-24, 05:11 PM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts
Isn't that a slippery slope? Research costs money (eg. salaries). those fees are perhaps are therefore returned into funding operations. Yes, they're a non-profit, but there's still incentive to continue operations.
Clearly this thread is a representation of your overall beliefs, which I respect. Because of that, there's no hope for this discussion.
Old 05-30-24, 05:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by howaboutme
Clearly this thread is a representation of your overall beliefs, which I respect. Because of that, there's no hope for this discussion.
I guess you can call them beliefs, but honestly I just consider what I've said the result of a bit of research, common sense, and a wee bit of critical thought. These calls to back up what I'm saying, which I attempt to do, are met for some reason with just more and more challenges. Not sure exactly why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.