Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2024 Getting My Peugeot Ready to Ride

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

2024 Getting My Peugeot Ready to Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 09:57 PM
Liquidfusion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Thanks for the pics. It's still a bit hard to see what all is there, but let's make a start.
First off, a bike in that condition needs to be stripped so that the bearings (wheel hubs, bottom bracket, headset) can be checked. They will at the least need to be cleaned and regreased, and possibly replaced.
Will do this Summer 2024 Jun Jul

The wheels appear to be aluminum. If so, they should be cleaned and trued. If steel, they should be replaced. I'd replace tubes and tires as well.
Replacing wheels - have a 700C wheel for the rear. Need to get a 700c wheel for the front. Anyone have any extras they don't need? Or low cost good quality you can recommend?

The seat post and handlebar stem should be pulled out. The stem should be checked for cracks. If all is ok they can be regreased and reinstalled.
How do I do this? Have you done this and talked about it here? - I can read your posts Any good videos to watch? What tools do I need?

The handlebar should be replaced with something more usable on the streets. NOTE: The handlebar stem may require a bar that is 25 mm in diameter.
Going with this handlebar as it is a Bullhorn and used by the person who gave me the bike. Need to retape the handlebar brakes, Videos?

The brakes look like MAFAC Racers, which are good brakes. You should replace the pads with Salmon Kool Stop pads.
Good

The chain should be replaced. Take a good pic of the Freewheel so we can check the wear on the teeth. The crank teeth look acceptable to me.
What chains do you like? How do you grease your chain? Going with the new 700C wheel + new Freewheel - brand new teeth

The shift levers appear to be replacements and are out of place on the frame. You should decide where you want the shifters to be -- either on the down tube, the handlebar stem, or the ends of the handlebars -- and then we can discuss your options.
Any videos to watch on this? Downtube seems right - what do you like?

The shift and brake cables and housing all need to be replaced.
Yes

Regarding your derailleurs, it appears that you already have decent Suntour parts on the bike. They should be removed, cleaned, and reinstalled if they are in decent shape.
OK
Old 05-25-24, 10:55 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hi What tool do I need to remove the cotterless crank off the bottom bracket?

Old 05-26-24, 12:10 AM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
SunTour Pro Compe Flywheel (NOS) on rear Campagnolo wheel
Release Tool - came with Sun Tour Flywheel

Old 05-26-24, 02:47 AM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Watching Videos on Rebuilding Peugeot U08

Ultimate Master Craftsman U08 Restoration - Vintage Peugeot Bicycle Restoration & Ride

How to remove vintage cranks. Shimano, Sugino, Suntour, T.A., Stronglight and more!
1) Remove bolt + Separate Washer - if not removed - washer can strip crank threads with puller tool -
2) Install inner part by hand - must be correctly in threads or will strip the threads
3) Use adj wrench to tighten snug - not turn at normal pressure
4) Screw in middle puller shaft
5) Leverage hold crank arm while pulling the puller tool arm forcing the center shaft through against the BB Spindle
6) Pushing the crank off the spindle

21:02 - Bearings - grade 25 American - cheap ones will crack and destroy the races

How To Overhaul Vintage Peugeot Bike Headset

5:10 - Stem
Local Bike shop - matched cage bearding from the top
Stem Bottom Cup - 24 Loose Bearings (2 bearing gap) 5/32
Marine Grease with a Dualco Mini Grease Gun

Last edited by Liquidfusion; 05-26-24 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-26-24, 04:18 AM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You can lock both bike wheels to the frame to a steel pole. In a place like NYC - high crime - do you remove the saddle (Allen wrench and it comes off) when locking up your bike in the street?
Old 05-26-24, 01:11 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 203 Posts
Lots of questions! But it seems you're finding most of the answers you need. Here are a couple more. With regard to a front wheel, you should check local Craigslist for a standard 700c wheel with an aluminum rim. Look for one that more or less matches the width of the Campagnolo rim, and look for a box (double wall) construction. You'll want to check it to be sure it is true. And you'll need to do a couple things to fit a modern wheel in the Peugeot forks. The modern hub is a bit wider than the old French standard, so you'll need to muscle it into place by spreading the fork legs. Also, the axle is a bit bigger in diameter than the old French axle, so you'll need to file open the dropout. Not hard, but takes a half hour or so. The pic shows the double wall of a rim:

Next, the chain. Any decent 8 speed chain will work. I like SRAM. (8 speed chains have the right width for 5-7 speed freewheels and cassettes, not just 8 speeds.)

Finally, the downtube shifters. When stock the bike had a square brazed-on stop on the right side of the down tube. The shifters came with a band that wrapped around that stop and held the left hand stop. It was made this way to allow Peugeot to sell bikes with 5 speeds using hthe same frame. Does your bike still have the brazed on stop? If so, you'll first want to find a Simplex shifter band, with or without levers. This pic shows what originally came on the bike:

But you will see that the levers are made with delrin, a plastic. They frequently broke. So you might be better off getting the band by itself and putting on different levers. NOTE: the braze on stop and the band use bolts that are not standard metric, so make sure the band and or the levers come with the proper bolts.
Old 05-26-24, 02:14 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
SunTour Cyclone Gear Shifters

Old 05-26-24, 02:17 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Front Wheel
Normandy Hub - Quick Release
What about cleaning the wheel and adding a new tire? - Saves buying a new front wheel
This front wheel already on the bike can then go with either the rear wheel with a new tire or the compagnola wheel 700c with a new tire

Old 05-26-24, 02:34 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5939 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,158 Posts
If that's an alloy rim, I'd try to save that wheel (overhaul hub, true the wheel). The best part for a bike is usually the one you have in hand.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-26-24, 02:43 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Summer 2024 Project
Estimated Cost for Repair / Rebuild

235.00 = Tools
175.00 = Parts
120.00 = Lock
90.00 = Helmet

Tires + Brake Pads are the parts to add that must be new - or in very good shape.

Thoughts on Tools - The right tools are needed to do BB / Crank Removal / Headset work - to endure French Threads are not stripped accidentally. One example: be sure to have a washer come out with the bolt holding the crank to the spindle, otherwise, when pulling the crank, threads can be stripped. People here know about French bikes. Cost Tools = 235.00 = an investment in continued ability to do bike maintenance with this U08.

Plan to take apart, clean, rebuild with new marine grease and ball bearings - both the bottom bracket as well as the headset on the front fork

Last edited by Liquidfusion; 05-26-24 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-26-24, 02:53 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
When I clean the frame - Dawn detergent - what do I do about rust? Thanks
Old 05-26-24, 02:58 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
If that's an alloy rim, I'd try to save that wheel (overhaul hub, true the wheel). The best part for a bike is usually the one you have in hand.
Thank you great Advice!!! Front wheel taken care of.

Rear Wheel : Do I keep the rear wheel and put on a new tire or use the 700C with a new tire?
Old 05-26-24, 03:11 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5939 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,158 Posts
Evaporust is good for rust issues. I'd reuse the original wheels (front and rear) as long as they are alloy and are reasonably true. I'd try to buy as few parts as possible and if I needed parts, I'd scrounge around for something second hand.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-26-24, 03:14 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Next, the chain. Any decent 8 speed chain will work. I like SRAM. (8 speed chains have the right width for 5-7 speed freewheels and cassettes, not just 8 speeds.)
Need to count the links in the chain I have. Read get 116 links and lose a few. What SRAM chain do you recommend? Thanks!
Old 05-26-24, 03:58 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquidfusion
Need to count the links in the chain I have. Read get 116 links and lose a few. What SRAM chain do you recommend? Thanks!
The least expensive one works just fine!

Re the wheels. If you keep the originals and they are aluminum, clean the brake tracks well with fine steel wool to get them clean and smooth. It will really help with braking.
Old 05-26-24, 04:32 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This bike was kept dirty and rough looking (by its former owner) to avoid theft in NYC. Add to that, it's been standing in a dusty NYC hallway for 20 years.
Used Joe Blow air pump - Tires are holding air!!! Will get new tires / brake pads before I ride on this bike.

Last edited by Liquidfusion; 05-26-24 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-26-24, 04:37 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is est cost to get bike up and running without BB / Headset work now

Summer 2024 - UPDATED - Bare Bones - Gets Bike on the Road

Last edited by Liquidfusion; 05-26-24 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-26-24, 06:08 PM
Liquidfusion

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
When I have a more stable budget - I will do a Bottom Bracket / Headset rebuild - with new Marine grease and New Ball bearings

Summer / Fall - 2024 - Est Cost

Last edited by Liquidfusion; 05-26-24 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-29-24, 10:45 PM
ls400p

Bikes: 3 Peugeot bikes(A08, UE18, ?); 1 Nishiki Kodiak; 1 Fuji Allegro mixte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice! My father got me a Peugeot in Germany around 1973 or so. Had it repainted in Japan and rode it up to 2021 when it was stolen in the States by the movers.
I can't put photos out until I've made 10 posts apparently...