Notices
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Best British steel frames?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:20 AM
nonhunner

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Best British steel frames?

What are your favourite? Which ones would you say are underrated? Or over rated!?
Old 05-06-24, 10:08 AM
Aubergine 
Francophile

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Liked 678 Times in 331 Posts

Lots of nice ones . . . .
Old 05-06-24, 11:01 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Liked 2,928 Times in 1,228 Posts
My personal favorite is Ron Cooper. A friend had one when I was teen and I drooled over it. I now have one, and it is a great ride. Plus, Coopers feature the sort of understated elegance that is quintessentially British. It would be hard to overrate Ron Cooper.

My first big purchase from my first job out of high school was a red and white Bob Jackson. I put a lot of fun miles on it before it was stolen out of my garage almost 15+ years later. Jackson's thus have a special place in my heart, although some from the early 70s (including mine) had some quality control issues with the bottom bracket shell threading (I had to have my bottom bracket literally glued into place to keep it from disassembling on the road).

These choices are strictly personal to me. Others will have their (very deserving) favorites.
Old 05-26-24, 06:50 AM
GreaterDevice

Bikes: Never enough, always too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a light pink sparkly Dave Russel road bike - it's a brilliant bike, commuted and rode it for years but times change and down shifters and skinny skinny tires have been replaced by tubeless and bike luggage for me!