Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-24, 12:37 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, Eastern Alpaka 29er

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I too am/was/am a grinder. I think it comes from having been a MTBer before getting into road biking. I have been working on increasing my cadence for the last few years. It used to be around 65 and now I'm more comfortable around 75-80. But like StrawBunyun, I like the feel of taller gears, especially on flats. And you're right, even a 52/11 isn't nearly tall enough when on an even slightly downward slope or a tailwind. Lots of riders believe the old wive's tale that grinding will destroy your knee joints. At 76 my joints are just fine and I've been grinding up mountain trails for many years.
my knees actually seem to hurt worse on the days i try to spin, and I know my lungs do.... When I grind I feel it all in my quads, not my knees.
Likes For Strawbunyan:
Old 05-26-24, 01:01 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 462 Posts
I'm a big fan of glucosamine supplements for joints. I started using the stuff when I focused solely on lifting. Now with cycling added to my fitness routine I find it just as beneficial. BTW I'm in my mid-40s.

Also I'm used to pushing myself going OOS for short sprints. Now I want to experiment spinning at max threshold and see how long I can hold power that way. I can go 1 minute at max power OOS, if I could 2 minutes spinning at max power, that would be awesome!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 05-26-24, 01:33 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 682 Posts
I mostly ran over winter and now noticing I need to work on cycling strength, so I’m doing some remedial riding. I ride mainly single speed, so for the moment there is some grinding while I work up to the strength to spin up the same hills.

Also I’m planning to get the drop bar bike fixed up with a new rear wheel and tire and will probably indulge myself with a five speed cluster on that one, so there can be more spinning on hills and grinding on the flats.

Otto
Likes For ofajen: