Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1981 Trek 950 build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1981 Trek 950 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 09:43 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 2,000 Times in 1,187 Posts
Today was a good one for the build. I took the freewheel apart and started to restore the cogs. It should be ready to install after a few hours of paint drying. Smiles,

Repainting after rust removal.

Freewheel body ready for the cogs to be re-installed.
MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-24-24, 03:51 PM
Mad Honk 

I got a chance to put the FW back together today. With some good luck it will be out of the garage by the end of Memorial day. Smiles, MH

All cleaned up, new paint on the rings and spaced at ultra 6. Runs smooth with very little noise so I am not going to break the body down for a rebuild.

I had considered this dork disc, but as you can see the tabs will interfere with the turning of the freewheel when installed, so no DD on this build.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-26-24, 01:11 PM
Mad Honk 

A stormy morning here in Bloomington on Memorial Day, so some time to work on the restore of the Trek. I see where the same goes at the Trash Panda Werks this morning. So far no racing at Indy now at 3:00 and the bike is now in the stand. Wheels installed and the bike is taking some shape, and I am now back to checking the brake clearance I was working on four weeks ago. A few pictures:

Getting to test out the new stand and it looks to hold things well.

The wheels are on and the next thing will be a set of bars and stem to get a set up that I can ride.

The brake calipers are short reach, and appear to just barely enough room to get the pads on the rim. A previous owner had cut the tire guides off the pads, and I don't like the old Mathauser pads so a change will be in order.

The front seems to be another close fit, so I will lock the calipers down after a good cleaning, and try to get the pads to match the rims.
Smiles, MH
Old 05-26-24, 07:58 PM
Mad Honk 

Some days I think my habit of buying used parts is going to get me. But tonight was another case of correcting the parts I have purchased. I needed to use this VAR tool to get the front caliper to match the rim sides.

I have this tool and normally don't even think about having to use it. It isn't big maybe 12" long but is incredible at what it does.

It can be used to align both caliper arms and chain rings when they are not correct. The wider section fits the caliper arms and the smaller slot fits the chain rings.
You can see the tool has been around for while but all VAR tools seem to have a long life of service. The Campy caliper arms were a bit tough to move for correcting toe-in but the VAR tool made it easy without worry of breaking the arm. Smiles, MH
Old 06-01-24, 12:11 PM
Mad Honk 

A bit of a break from the day job, and I am ready to start the handlebar set up. I am down to one pair of SR brake levers in the stash and I did purchase three orphans for parts. So my dreams of a $4 build on the mucho-cheapo scale just went out the window. The three orphans were $60 and I will have two complete levers when done. And I am leaning toward some more length in the stem, so a 120 Cinelli will be put into service. I have set of used bars from a Pinarello buy three years ago, but they are 3t and only 39cm wide, so a new set of Giro D Italia bars go on as well. Smiles, MH

The three levers form Shop Dog Bikes. Not the broken one on the left side. Pretty crusty but I think they will work.

A nice longer stem, and some 3t bars that are only 39's, so another set will be used.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 06-01-24, 04:24 PM
Mad Honk 

Some cleaning and digging through the stash netted a pair of levers for the build. I needed to replace the bands with a fresh pair, and found two matching blades to get a matched pair. The result:

Complete after a rebuild and a new pair of covers from EuroAsia.
Next is the stem/bar set up with levers and a bunch of time wrapping tape. Smiles, MH
Old 06-15-24, 02:49 PM
Mad Honk 

Some days my work seems to just come to a grinding halt, and for a week I have been waylaid by the lack of some bar plugs. But this morning it hit me like one of Zeus's lightning bolts. I have friends with a vineyard and winery. So while the War Department was off getting a $50 parking ticket in a city lot, I went to the winery. Bar plug problems solved and now I can get back to work. A few pics:

Jim's family business shop located in downtown Bloomington, IN

Jim's daughter in law and our barista for 27 years. Some of the bottles behind the bar, and off to the left a room full of winemaking supplies for the home winemakers.

The room off to one side with artwork from the vineyard and ample supplies of wines.

And the stash of bar plugs that I got along with nice white wine.
Smiles, MH
Old 06-15-24, 07:41 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: 1965 dept store special, 1972 basket case, 1978 garden ornament, 1980 garbage heap, 1987 mutt, 1996 frankenstein

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 3,820 Times in 1,538 Posts
Excellent!

Do you still need a stem? I think I have a 120-130mm Cinelli that I will not be using.

Old 06-15-24, 10:30 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 177 Posts
Nice build! That is really interesting the way the 950 is etched on the steerer tube. My 950 is from the next year, and it appears to be machine stamped....

My '82 on the right, my buddy's '81 on left, had a 950 reunion in Steamboat a while back....