Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Titanium Frame Cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-24, 05:58 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts
Titanium Frame Cost

I’m thinking of buying a titanium gravel bike frame.

The prices vary widely. For roughly similar (as far as I can tell) frames, Lynskey is about $1100, Litespeed 3x that, with Seven and No. 22 at 4x and 6x that, respectively.

I know one usually gets what they pay for, but that seems like an unusually large spread.

Can someone give me some insight into this?
Old 05-26-24, 06:46 PM
Kontact

Liked 1,851 Times in 1,197 Posts
A Litespeed Flint gravel frame is $2100 currently on sale for $1600. Where are you getting your numbers? What's "roughly the same"?

I like Lynskey, but I've noticed their frame weights tend to be on the high side.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-27-24, 08:10 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Originally Posted by Kontact
A Litespeed Flint gravel frame is $2100 currently on sale for $1600. Where are you getting your numbers? What's "roughly the same"?

I like Lynskey, but I've noticed their frame weights tend to be on the high side.
Numbers are from their websites. "Roughly the same" means "as similar as one can tell from a website created by marketing folks".
Old 05-27-24, 08:22 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Habenaro gravel is $1195 plus $50 shipping plus $200-$300 for a fork. They sell complete bikes as well.

Cyclocross Components - Habanero Cycles
Old 05-27-24, 09:06 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Numbers are from their websites. "Roughly the same" means "as similar as one can tell from a website created by marketing folks".
I got those numbers from Litespeed's website.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-27-24, 09:11 AM
PromptCritical 

I got those numbers from Litespeed's website.
Very helpful. Thank you.
Old 05-27-24, 09:19 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,599 Times in 1,890 Posts
One of the problems is that titanium is trickier to work with than steel, and if not done properly, welds have a tendency to fail. So part of the price spread may reflect the reputation of the builder. Also, getting a mass-produced frame from (eg) Taiwan will be considerably less expensive than a hand-built, perhaps custom one from the US.

Finally, if you are willing to take an older model, you might get a good deal. I picked up a Sage Titanium Barlow frame (and Enve fork) for my wife for about $2K a couple of years ago (at Jenson). The current version lists for $5K or so on their website.
Old 05-27-24, 10:44 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
One of the problems is that titanium is trickier to work with than steel, and if not done properly, welds have a tendency to fail. So part of the price spread may reflect the reputation of the builder. Also, getting a mass-produced frame from (eg) Taiwan will be considerably less expensive than a hand-built, perhaps custom one from the US.

Finally, if you are willing to take an older model, you might get a good deal. I picked up a Sage Titanium Barlow frame (and Enve fork) for my wife for about $2K a couple of years ago (at Jenson). The current version lists for $5K or so on their website.
Lynskey and Litespeed do not have a reputation for weld failures, and are two of the least expensive US titanium brands.

It doesn't cost less to weld titanium poorly in the short term, and is much more expensive in the long term to warranty broken frames.
Old 05-27-24, 01:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,746 Times in 4,306 Posts

Can someone give me some insight into this?
Cost varies widely because...
- some finishes take more time and materials than others.
- some cable routing designs take more time and materials than others.
- some frames/brands are cleaned up better than others.
- custom geometry is usually more than stock geometry.
- personalized touches cost more than bare stock.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-27-24, 01:48 PM
Kontact

Certain brands are luxury items and priced accordingly. And this works, because when a quality company like Lynskey offers a lower price consumers assume that something is wrong with the product and that a titanium frame should cost $3000. But a lot of the price difference is branding.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-27-24, 03:09 PM
PromptCritical 

Thanks. Any real differences between Lynskey and the luxury brands?
Old 05-27-24, 03:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,746 Times in 4,306 Posts
Yes.
- custom geometry vs stock geometey(can be custom, for more $).
- more finishes. More extensive finishes.
- cleaner looking finish of frame.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-27-24, 03:23 PM
Kontact

Sure. But not differences that amount to three to five times the material or labor costs.

I have personally seen examples of the very finest brands with serious flaws, so they are no immune to quality issues even with that sort of pricing.

I'm not trying to steer you to one brand or another. Whether it is features, design, aesthetics or prestige - you get what you pay for one way or the other.

It is little different than comparing a Taiwanese made Ishiwata lugged frameset for less than $200 new and a Columbus tubed Colnago. They are more alike than different, but the prices are grossly different. Which is "better"? Which would you rather own?

Personally, I would consider Lynskey and Litespeed on the lower end of the price, skip Chinese made stuff, and look at a solid brand like Seven on the higher end without going to the real pricey stuff. Just my opinion.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-27-24, 03:58 PM
PromptCritical 

Sure. But not differences that amount to three to five times the material or labor costs.

I have personally seen examples of the very finest brands with serious flaws, so they are no immune to quality issues even with that sort of pricing.

I'm not trying to steer you to one brand or another. Whether it is features, design, aesthetics or prestige - you get what you pay for one way or the other.

It is little different than comparing a Taiwanese made Ishiwata lugged frameset for less than $200 new and a Columbus tubed Colnago. They are more alike than different, but the prices are grossly different. Which is "better"? Which would you rather own?

Personally, I would consider Lynskey and Litespeed on the lower end of the price, skip Chinese made stuff, and look at a solid brand like Seven on the higher end without going to the real pricey stuff. Just my opinion.
Thanks. That's very helpful.
Old 05-27-24, 05:00 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Liked 572 Times in 325 Posts
I have three Lynskeys. One is a road bike, one is a hard tail mountain bike, and one is a MTB frame with a rigid fork and drop bars. None are abused. but they are not babied either. The hard tail has an Ohlins fork and gets ridden pretty hard. They are all about 8 years old.

I bought them because Ti doesn't corrode when exposed to road salt. I have been happy with all three. If I wanted another Ti bike I would buy another Lynskey.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 05-27-24, 05:08 PM
PromptCritical 

Thanks!
Old 05-28-24, 08:17 AM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I have three Lynskeys. One is a road bike, one is a hard tail mountain bike, and one is a MTB frame with a rigid fork and drop bars. None are abused. but they are not babied either. The hard tail has an Ohlins fork and gets ridden pretty hard. They are all about 8 years old.

I bought them because Ti doesn't corrode when exposed to road salt. I have been happy with all three. If I wanted another Ti bike I would buy another Lynskey.
I looked at the geometry on the Lynskey site last night, and it looks like I'm going to need a custom frame (long legs/short torso and arthritis). Bummer, as they are having a wicked sale right now.
Old 05-28-24, 08:52 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I looked at the geometry on the Lynskey site last night, and it looks like I'm going to need a custom frame (long legs/short torso and arthritis). Bummer, as they are having a wicked sale right now.
I'm the opposite. Maybe I should have a look. We only have 12 bikes in the garage at the moment.

I just looked. Their M-sized road frame is very close to the dimensions of my custom steel bike. Is the sale over, or on-going?

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-28-24 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-28-24, 09:06 AM
PromptCritical 

I'm the opposite. Maybe I should have a look. We only have 12 bikes in the garage at the moment.

I just looked. Their M-sized road frame is very close to the dimensions of my custom steel bike. Is the sale over, or on-going?
Well, 12 bikes is a good start....
Old 05-28-24, 10:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I'm going to need a custom frame.
I realize this is a bit of a haul from Sandy Eggo, but worth it: https://caletticycles.com
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-28-24, 11:10 PM
PromptCritical 

I realize this is a bit of a haul from Sandy Eggo, but worth it: https://caletticycles.com
Do you have one?
Old 05-28-24, 11:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Do you have one?
A steel one. It is by far the best bike I have owned.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-28-24, 11:35 PM
Duragrouch

Liked 602 Times in 487 Posts
Wow, you ain't kidding. $750 for an R300 road disc frame (+$500 for their carbon road disc fork). But shows only S size, and it's closeout of 2023 stock. But yeah, that's a good deal. Unfortunately I'm also a retro grouch for road style and like a level top tube, also to reduce the bending moment at the seat-tube/top-tube juncture, but am willing to accept road discs. But not a 4-arm crank spider, but I can still find with 5.
Old 05-29-24, 05:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Liked 5,940 Times in 2,994 Posts
What you are riding now is custom?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-01-24, 07:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,840 Times in 1,106 Posts
Geez. Few, if any, have the heritage and experience in making Ti frames to match Lynskey, and I’d suggest that having 40 years of Ti manufacturing history in Chattanooga is exactly why they can offer the best prices around. Even though they had a few years without a brand of their own, when the Lynskeys sold off Litespeed, Mark Lynskey stayed on to shepherd the new business, so really Lynskey has an unbroken travk record as the most preeminent name in American Ti bicycle manufacturing.

I give them— and that includes Litespeed under ABG ownership— a lot of credit as founders, innovators, and icons of the American cycling world. I ride a T-Lab X3 titanium rig out of Montreal, but I’d be proud to ride Lynskey.
Likes For chaadster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.