Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 07:56 AM
M A V

Bikes: Many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 21 Posts
1995 Klein Adroit

Old 05-25-24, 05:27 PM
tombc

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 30 Posts
new ride for me
Old 05-26-24, 05:01 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 269 Posts
A titanium Kona is just about as good as it gets...
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 05-26-24, 10:47 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 2,654 Times in 1,110 Posts
The first mountain bike I have ever purchased . . . and it's not for me. 1995 (I think) Trek 850 for my nephew as his college bike at UC Davis (with terrain about as flat as it gets - the only "climbs" within 20+ miles are freeway overpasses). It's in great shape, with the only issue being that it won't shift up to the big chainring, which I think is just an adjustment issue. Even if I can't make that shift work, the middle 'ring will suit him just fine. He is not a bike guy, but this is the best way to get around at Davis. I wanted a bike for him that was old-fashioned enough that it would not be the first choice of thieves but good enough that, if he got an urge to try going a few extra miles, the bike would not hold him back. I fit on it nicely and he is very close to my size, so it should be a good fit for him. I think this will fit the bill nicely, and at a reasonable price.

Old 05-27-24, 12:02 AM
shdwfx

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
The first mountain bike I have ever purchased . . . and it's not for me. 1995 (I think) Trek 850 for my nephew as his college bike at UC Davis (with terrain about as flat as it gets - the only "climbs" within 20+ miles are freeway overpasses). It's in great shape, with the only issue being that it won't shift up to the big chainring, which I think is just an adjustment issue. Even if I can't make that shift work, the middle 'ring will suit him just fine. He is not a bike guy, but this is the best way to get around at Davis. I wanted a bike for him that was old-fashioned enough that it would not be the first choice of thieves but good enough that, if he got an urge to try going a few extra miles, the bike would not hold him back. I fit on it nicely and he is very close to my size, so it should be a good fit for him. I think this will fit the bill nicely, and at a reasonable price.
You're definitely right about UC Davis. Very bike friendly but unfortunately very friendly to thieves as well. My daughter is a sophomore there and we got her a Wal-Mart special for getting around (think it was like $80). It was fine her first year but got stolen parked on campus her second year. I think the Kryptonite lock was half the price of the bike but that didn't seem to discourage thieves as there were plenty of nicer bikes around. Good luck to your nephew.
Old 05-27-24, 06:40 AM
69tr6r

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by victorm

Better pic😎
I drooled over those Diamondbacks when they were new. Beautiful bike!

Last edited by 69tr6r; 05-27-24 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Likes For 69tr6r:
Old 05-27-24, 08:48 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,758 Times in 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer

I've got a combo ulock and cable to donate if there is a need.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-28-24, 10:32 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 2,654 Times in 1,110 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I've got a combo ulock and cable to donate if there is a need.
Thank you. PM sent.
Old 05-28-24, 12:41 PM
orbeamike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 42 Posts
OG Off road touring bike, one of only a handful ever made
Old 05-28-24, 01:18 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 91 Posts
‘87 Peugeot Canyon Express

I normally have wide slicks on this one and use it for family rides. My 12 year old son and I have been mountain biking together so I thought I’d throw on a pair of knobby tires and give it a go. First problem the Roller Cams limit tire width a fair amount but living in an arid climate mud clearance is a non issue. I was able to fit a 2.1” in the front but only a 1.9” in the rear, even then it rubbed on the rear brake a little bit under certain conditions. Second while perfect for bike paths the 28/38/48 rings are a little high though not a big deal when riding with a kid. If my local trials weren’t dominated by steep climbs I can see myself riding this off-road but I much prefer my nineties bikes for pedaling uphill. I added the flat bar and bar ends as the stock riser bar was just too wide and upright for my tastes. My current plan is to ad a drop bar and a cargo rack I also have a Le Pree 3 pulley rear mech and large flange Suzue hubs that seem perfect for this bike. The 90s LX works very well but my rule is that friction shifting requires something less boring than a Shimano indexing rear derailleur.

With Le Pree Deraileur.

Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 05-29-24 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Autocorrect had changed Suzue to Suzuki….
Old 05-29-24, 04:20 PM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
1985 Schwinn Mirada Shimano Nexus conversion. I was looking for something cheap with horizontal dropouts so I could try this. These early 80s MTBs are very strange. It's good to ride sitting, but standing to climb a hill the bars are in the wrong place. I guess it has to do with the short reach. The steering is a bit twitchy which can be fun though. Maybe I'll try some of those clamp on bar end handles.

My janky cable run - Suntour chainstay cable stop that I cut the tabs off, bent, and wrapped a hose clamp around. Half link.

I'm no welder but the welds on this frame look... not very good
Likes For DIY masochist:
Old 05-30-24, 12:56 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by DIY masochist
1985 Schwinn Mirada Shimano Nexus conversion. I was looking for something cheap with horizontal dropouts so I could try this. These early 80s MTBs are very strange. It's good to ride sitting, but standing to climb a hill the bars are in the wrong place. I guess it has to do with the short reach. The steering is a bit twitchy which can be fun though. Maybe I'll try some of those clamp on bar end handles.

My janky cable run - Suntour chainstay cable stop that I cut the tabs off, bent, and wrapped a hose clamp around. Half link.

I'm no welder but the welds on this frame look... not very good
Looks like a fun project. I can’t see how long your stem is but maybe a quill adapter and experimenting with longer stems and/or wider bars could make it less twitchy and easier to ride while standing? I have tried that on my ATB/mountain bikes of that vintage and it seems to help.

Love the welds! I have a bike where it looks like they tacked the tubes into the lugs with rivets for welding and then just left the rivets in and painted over them. Maybe there should be frame welding hall of shame. 😂
Likes For daywood:
Old 05-30-24, 09:15 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by orbeamike
wow (almost) too nice to ride
Old 05-30-24, 07:31 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by M A V
1995 Klein Adroit

Wow! That paint, those wheels, that purple ano... those cranks!!!

Originally Posted by orbeamike
Be still my beating heart!
Old 06-02-24, 09:55 AM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 242 Posts

1990 Klein Rascal single speed conversion first ride.
Likes For victorm:
Old 06-02-24, 11:05 PM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 128 Posts
89 red shred

Old 06-03-24, 07:42 AM
enjoybikes

Bikes: Early 90's Pinarello Gavia, '84 Guerciotti, '91 GF Hoo Koo e Koo, '88 Giant Iguana, '09 Specialized XC

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Seems most folks around here want a commuter or something for the smooth paths we have locally. Also those 1.5s were in the spares bin and looked good. I sold it the same day as the photos to a fella who bought it to ride with his wife. She told me she also has a Schwinn so I think she helped make the sale. Cheers.
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
You’ve done a nice job on that Sierra!

I see the tires you have chosen are 1.50. Planning on keeping it as a road machine? Can’t believe these MTB Schwinns were spec’ed with 1.75 tires back then. My 84 High Sierra has 2.125 now and like how rides.

Always great to see another Schwinn MTB back on the trail!
Old 06-03-24, 09:03 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 1,118 Times in 655 Posts
Another Trek joins the herd.

i can safely say I paid more then I should but I have history with this 94 model 850. Plus it s great size for me. Trek labels it a 21” but actual size from BB to top of TT is 20”.

cheap parts, heavy big tires and worn out components are on on the chopping block.

In all its “as found” condition.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 06-03-24, 10:14 PM
ElGenerale

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
SDHawk
Wow, love the old Montanas. I had (and shared here a while back) an '87 Montana Team but sold it after admitting to myself that it was at minimum 1 size too small. If you're seeking a nice period-ish saddle for it, I've got this available:
Likes For ElGenerale:
Old 06-04-24, 06:37 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Another Trek joins the herd.

i can safely say I paid more then I should but I have history with this 94 model 850. Plus it s great size for me. Trek labels it a 21” but actual size from BB to top of TT is 20”.

cheap parts, heavy big tires and worn out components are on on the chopping block.

In all its “as found” condition.
I *think* they sized those by the distance between the BB and the top of the seat tube.
Old 06-04-24, 08:46 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 1,118 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by daywood
I *think* they sized those by the distance between the BB and the top of the seat tube.
Right you are, I’ve always called it the ghost inch.
Bike is completely disassembled with the frame going through a clean and polish spa. Also having to hone the seat tube to get the 26.6 to slide in nicely.
Old 06-04-24, 11:46 AM
Maxey

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 104 Posts
Here's a '91 Stumpjumper Team I picked up a few weeks ago. As far as I can tell it's completely original from the grips to the pedals to the saddle and everything else; the only exception is the tires I believe, though the rear may be original. It's one size too small for me which I knew going in; I bought it to harvest the parts for a '91 Bianchi Sika frameset in my size. Now after cleaning it up and touching up the several handfuls of chips in the paint I don't know if I have the heart to break up such a nice original.

Old 06-04-24, 12:03 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 130 Posts
[QUOTE=Maxey;23259401]Here's a '91 Stumpjumper Team I picked up a few weeks ago. As far as I can tell it's completely original from the grips to the pedals to the saddle and everything else; the only exception is the tires I believe, though the rear may be original. It's one size too small for me which I knew going in; I bought it to harvest the parts for a '91 Bianchi Sika frameset in my size. Now after cleaning it up and touching up the several handfuls of chips in the paint I don't know if I have the heart to break up such a nice original.

/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a beauty. I vote for keeping it together! In fact, it's my size so I vote for sending it to me (jk). I'm in San Diego, just fyi haha
Likes For SDHawk:
Old 06-04-24, 12:27 PM
Maxey

Bikes: Some old ones and some new ones

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 104 Posts
/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a beauty. I vote for keeping it together! In fact, it's my size so I vote for sending it to me (jk). I'm in San Diego, just fyi haha[/QUOTE]

If you were just next door I'd consider it for sure. I'm just too busy to be dismantling, packing and shipping bikes these days.
Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-04-24, 01:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1563 Post(s)
Liked 1,588 Times in 946 Posts
Please don't break up that beauty. If it was 17" I'd happily take the frameset off your hands; good thing for me it isn't. Good luck deciding what to do with it.

Originally Posted by Maxey
Here's a '91 Stumpjumper Team I picked up a few weeks ago. As far as I can tell it's completely original from the grips to the pedals to the saddle and everything else; the only exception is the tires I believe, though the rear may be original. It's one size too small for me which I knew going in; I bought it to harvest the parts for a '91 Bianchi Sika frameset in my size. Now after cleaning it up and touching up the several handfuls of chips in the paint I don't know if I have the heart to break up such a nice original.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.