Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is the Radar Worth the extra $$$ ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is the Radar Worth the extra $$$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-24, 06:13 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Liked 136 Times in 73 Posts
I would be afraid I would become reliant on it and it would numb my senses. Similarly like my dependency on spellcheck I believe has diminished my spelling skills.

I believe your supposed to check a your rearview mirror in a car every 10 ish seconds, wouldn’t the same practice be applied to riding bikes?

im not opposed and my wife wants one so I’ll get her on and see how she likes it.
Old 06-05-24, 06:15 PM
asgelle

Liked 461 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Given the cycle time of traffic lights and the (relatively) slow speed of bicycles, a rear-facing camera doesn't give you a very reliable indication of traffic light status when you enter an intersection.
Except as for as I know, a vehicle has to clear the intersection before the light turns red so any video showing the bike in the intersection with a red light behind it would be proof of a violation.
Old 06-05-24, 06:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,204 Times in 1,250 Posts
I’m 2 weeks or so in a Varia 715. I got the camera version as I ride alone a lot and figured good to have a recording of that numbnut that rear ends me. In use, it’s very good at what it needs to do, tells you there are vehicles coming up behind you. It shows you how many vehicles, something I was not expecting and find very, very useful. It’s much better than a mirror, also shows you relative speed and in time you get to know the timing of the pass. I have been riding 35 years and while it’s almost a game changer, I could also continue without it. But, it is reliable and you do really know if it’s safe to move over to make a left turn. I am glad I made the investment. My riding buddies like it as well as they see the flash start when in Peloton mode, so they too get a warning, though they can hear the audible alerts, while I, being pretty deaf, cannot.
Old 06-05-24, 06:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,690 Times in 3,088 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Except as for as I know, a vehicle has to clear the intersection before the light turns red so any video showing the bike in the intersection with a red light behind it would be proof of a violation.
That is incorrect.
Old 06-05-24, 06:23 PM
asgelle

That is incorrect.
I don't have time to go through every state, but at least in Texas being in the intersection with a red light is a violation. https://kubosh.com/traffic-tickets/m...t%20in%20Texas.

"Is running a yellow light illegal in Texas?

"Running a yellow light is not strictly prohibited in Texas. Instead, a yellow light is just a warning that the light is about to change to red. There is no grace period when the light turns red, so a driver should heed the warning to stop for a yellow light in Texas."
Old 06-05-24, 06:36 PM
tomato coupe

I don't have time to go through every state, but at least in Texas being in the intersection with a red light is a violation. https://kubosh.com/traffic-tickets/m...t%20in%20Texas.

"Is running a yellow light illegal in Texas?

"Running a yellow light is not strictly prohibited in Texas. Instead, a yellow light is just a warning that the light is about to change to red. There is no grace period when the light turns red, so a driver should heed the warning to stop for a yellow light in Texas."
Still incorrect. From the same link:

What is considered running a red light in Texas?

Entering an intersection while the traffic light is displaying a steady red signal is considered running a red light in Texas. Turning right on red is generally legal unless it is prohibited. Turning left on red is even allowed in some cases if the streets are one-way and the turn is specifically authorized. It’s considered running a red light in Texas when you travel into the intersection with a steady red light and without an indication to proceed.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-05-24, 06:39 PM
asgelle

Still incorrect. From the same link:
You need help with logic. You quoted one example of running a red light. What you quote does not claim to be the only definition.

This might be illuminating, https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo...red-light.html

"Yellow signals. A yellow signal is a warning that the light will soon turn to red. But state laws differ with regard to what drivers must do when approaching a yellow light. In some states, drivers can still enter and pass through an intersection when facing a yellow signal. So long as the vehicle's front wheels pass the limit line on the nearest side of the intersection prior to the light turning red, the driver can continue through the intersection without violating the law. However, some states prohibit drivers from entering the intersection after the light has switched to yellow. In these states, the vehicle's front wheels must pass the near limit line prior to the light turning yellow. Otherwise, the driver can get a ticket for running the light."
Old 06-05-24, 06:48 PM
tomato coupe

You need help with logic. You quoted one example of running a red light. What you quote does not claim to be the only definition.

This might be illuminating, https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo...red-light.html

"Yellow signals. A yellow signal is a warning that the light will soon turn to red. But state laws differ with regard to what drivers must do when approaching a yellow light. In some states, drivers can still enter and pass through an intersection when facing a yellow signal. So long as the vehicle's front wheels pass the limit line on the nearest side of the intersection prior to the light turning red, the driver can continue through the intersection without violating the law. However, some states prohibit drivers from entering the intersection after the light has switched to yellow. In these states, the vehicle's front wheels must pass the near limit line prior to the light turning yellow. Otherwise, the driver can get a ticket for running the light."
My logic is just fine, thank you. Your quoted paragraph addresses the latest time at which a car can enter an intersection -- it does not directly address the question at hand, which is what happens if the light turns red while a vehicle is in the intersection. By omission, however, it is not a red light violation as long as the above entrance requirements are met.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 06-05-24 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-05-24, 08:01 PM
NVFlinch 

Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Although (as you correctly noted) there has been numerous threads on radars, you have still somehow failed to comprehend or recall that these are all rear-facing radars (which may or may not also be equipped with a camera). How does a rear-facing camera show that one has run a red light or a stop sign!?
Easy. No failure of comprehension on this end. To wit: Video shows you NOT stopping, and the backside of a stop sign. Ditto a red light and the line of traffic you just cruised past when they were stopped, and you will have to explain in court why it was not red when you ran it. Also, no one said the cameras were limited to rear mount only. Many have forward looking cameras on the bars or helmets. You do you though, film at 11:00..
Old 06-05-24, 08:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,552 Times in 1,873 Posts
The video cam one gets mixed reviews. Check DCRainmaker's website for details.
Old 06-05-24, 08:28 PM
njkayaker

Liked 1,432 Times in 996 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
But, do you trust it enough to cross the traffic lanes without actually looking?
No.

That isn’t the purpose of the radar. The purpose is more for “don’t move” (to the left).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-05-24, 09:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,107 Times in 3,116 Posts
Get the radar, and like the others have said, but mute the warning tone until you get out of the busy streets. I find it invaluable to tell me who many vehicles are behind and when it’s clear - then I will verify with my eyes. The one time I forgot to pack it for a remote ride, I felt naked or like riding in a car without a seatbelt. Once you get one, you will wonder how you got along without it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-05-24, 09:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Liked 1,574 Times in 1,089 Posts
Umm, by showing me moving through an intersection with a clear red light behind me?

(similarly, and isn't this obvious, showing me moving through an intersection without stopping when the unique outline of a stop sign is present.)
Originally Posted by NVFlinch
Easy. No failure of comprehension on this end. To wit: Video shows you NOT stopping, and the backside of a stop sign. Ditto a red light and the line of traffic you just cruised past when they were stopped, and you will have to explain in court why it was not red when you ran it. Also, no one said the cameras were limited to rear mount only. Many have forward looking cameras on the bars or helmets. You do you though, film at 11:00..
My apologies. I had not realized that the RCT-715 allows a continuous recording mode until perusing the manual in detail. That said, this thread is about radars; I read cameras in that context.
Old 06-06-24, 02:49 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,348 Times in 783 Posts
I ride in generally rural areas and I am totally sold on my Garmin Varia.
Old 06-06-24, 05:36 AM
MikeDeason

Liked 79 Times in 47 Posts
I can see it in rural. Very busy everywhere here and where it’s not, there’s no cars.
Old 06-06-24, 09:04 AM
NVFlinch 

Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I always verify with my own eyes before moving, but if the display is showing a stream of cars, I know that I have to wait. I've had it show me things that weren't cars, but it's never not identified a car.
This reminds me of the "False Negative" aspect: that is, the radar NOT showing a car when there is one. Several times I've noticed a car behind me keeping pace with my speed, and the radar does not show it. This is noted in the Garmin literature, and is not a defect. The radar only works when objects have a closing speed difference. That said, I've never had a false positive - failure to detect a moving car.

Like Eric sez, always confirm with the eyes.
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 06-06-24, 09:13 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDeason
I can see it in rural. Very busy everywhere here and where it’s not, there’s no cars.
Great, your mind is made up! The vast majority of users find value in their radar units. You may be the rare exception who does not see the merit. If you have purchased one, the resale value is very strong, and if not, nothing is lost.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 06-06-24, 09:35 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,467 Times in 3,997 Posts
If you have concluded that it won't be helpful for you, don't get one. So far, in the many threads about the topic, I don't recall anyone commenting that they tried using radar and found it unhelpful.

I ride primarily in the suburban sprawl of Los Angeles, which sometimes includes riding on streets with heavy traffic. I find radar to be very useful to increase my awareness of what's happening behind me in ways that exceed the abilities of my other senses.

Last edited by Eric F; 06-06-24 at 09:41 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 06-06-24, 09:37 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by NVFlinch
This reminds me of the "False Negative" aspect: that is, the radar NOT showing a car when there is one. Several times I've noticed a car behind me keeping pace with my speed, and the radar does not show it. This is noted in the Garmin literature, and is not a defect. The radar only works when objects have a closing speed difference. That said, I've never had a false positive - failure to detect a moving car.

Like Eric sez, always confirm with the eyes.
Hmmm...I haven't noticed that one yet, but I guess that makes sense, based on how radar works.
Old 06-06-24, 09:43 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,552 Times in 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Hmmm...I haven't noticed that one yet, but I guess that makes sense, based on how radar works.
I can confirm that this is true.

If someone is following you at your speed, for example, politely waiting to pass legally, the signal will disappear.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-06-24, 09:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I can confirm that this is true.

If someone is following you at your speed, for example, politely waiting to pass legally, the signal will disappear.
Good to know.
Old 06-06-24, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,107 Times in 3,116 Posts
I was overtaking a rider who has Varia. Could tell by the distinctive bright flash pattern - note:never look directly at the LED when flashing. I have made that mistake a couple of times. Anyway, when I did overtake the guy, he said, “I thought you were a car”. That is a testament to how sensitive the radar is.

But it does sound like the OP had his mind made-up before posting. Makes me wonder why? Plenty of compelling arguments ‘for’ but they are obviously disregarded.

Old 06-06-24, 10:17 AM
MikeDeason

Have not concluded anything just trying to determine if it will be worth the extra assumed battery drain. Cars are like maggots on a carcass here
Old 06-06-24, 10:21 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Have not concluded anything just trying to determine if it will be worth the extra assumed battery drain. Cars are like maggots on a carcass here
If increased battery drain is your concern, you're looking for excuses. These are rechargeable devices.
Old 06-06-24, 10:33 AM
MikeDeason

Yea but I need charge it more often. More work. Is there gain? Not convinced in urban setting if it will just get ignored. Bike shop may let me try one when I go in for longer stem if they have it still

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.