Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Clif Bars Getting Smaller?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Clif Bars Getting Smaller?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 12:21 AM
Mayonnaise
Arschgaudi

Bikes: Merckx Team SC, Masi (fixed), Merckx Cyclo-Cross

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sorry if this was a chase after a wild goose, but 4 times in the last month I bought a Clif Bar and thought it looked and felt smaller.

I eat a lot of them and they just felt different to me.

And they give me gas too, but since I'll be in Junior High the rest of my life I find this funny and enjoyable.
Old 08-12-24, 05:49 PM
ricomon35
Commut'N Fool

Bikes: Kona Kikapu Deluxe, Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been buying/consuming Clif Bars since the early days of being able to find them only in Bike/Sports shops and your local Trader Joes.
Back then they were sold only loose, boxed sales took off fairly quickly, and soon I found them at WinCo, then Fred Meyer stores (Oregon/Washington). Mid 2000's?

Back then 12 count boxes were always tightly packed, and the bars were NOT able to slide around inside like they do now, in the new 5 and 10 count boxes.
The bars are definitely smaller, as there's a big gap of about 1 inch along the long side and about 1/4 inch on the short side. (see attached pic)

So, yeah, the new gen bars are smaller, have less vitamins and minerals in them and ALOT of added sugars. Info on this fact can be found all over the internet with a simple Google search.

There's also a class action lawsuit in process with payout dividends for buyers within a certain timeframe. Payout is dependent on bar count purchased (more bars=higher payout) and only to customers that have receipts.

Now, it's time to find an alternative bar, that tastes as wonderful as the Clif Bars used to !

P.S. > I tried to post a pic of the current Cliff Bar box I have showing the big space gaps, but this being my 1st post, I don't have pic and link privileges yet.

Rico

Likes For ricomon35:
Old 08-12-24, 06:34 PM
shelbyfv
Banned

Liked 6,513 Times in 3,291 Posts
Thanks for the update. With 18 additional years of shrinkage I expect they may now be bite sized.
Old 08-12-24, 08:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Liked 6,608 Times in 3,342 Posts
Originally Posted by ricomon35
I've been buying/consuming Clif Bars since the early days of being able to find them only in Bike/Sports shops and your local Trader Joes.
Back then they were sold only loose, boxed sales took off fairly quickly, and soon I found them at WinCo, then Fred Meyer stores (Oregon/Washington). Mid 2000's?

Back then 12 count boxes were always tightly packed, and the bars were NOT able to slide around inside like they do now, in the new 5 and 10 count boxes.
The bars are definitely smaller, as there's a big gap of about 1 inch along the long side and about 1/4 inch on the short side. (see attached pic)

So, yeah, the new gen bars are smaller, have less vitamins and minerals in them and ALOT of added sugars. Info on this fact can be found all over the internet with a simple Google search.

There's also a class action lawsuit in process with payout dividends for buyers within a certain timeframe. Payout is dependent on bar count purchased (more bars=higher payout) and only to customers that have receipts.

Now, it's time to find an alternative bar, that tastes as wonderful as the Clif Bars used to !

P.S. > I tried to post a pic of the current Cliff Bar box I have showing the big space gaps, but this being my 1st post, I don't have pic and link privileges yet.

Rico
Try Skrtch Labs bars available on Amazon. Only healthy stuff and very tasty - but not nearly as big as a Cliff bar.

Old 08-13-24, 11:34 AM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,865 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayonnaise
Has anyone else noticed that Clif Bars are smaller than they were, say, a year ago?
Well, the originators of the ClIf Bar sold the company in 2022. You think that may have something to do with it?
There is a link to a response from a consumer to the new company that basically stated that their research showed customers would prefer a smaller bar vs. paying more. So yeah, they've gotten smaller. (But I'm not buying the so-called 'research' one bit.) Of course, I can't post the link. Do one of those fancy computer searches.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 08-13-24 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-13-24, 01:53 PM
indyfabz

Liked 17,423 Times in 8,136 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Thanks for the update. With 18 additional years of shrinkage I expect they may now be bite sized.
“I was in the pool!”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-13-24, 05:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,198 Times in 6,776 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
“I was in the pool!”
It could happen to anybody!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-13-24, 06:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,565 Times in 4,422 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It could happen to anybody!
It was cold!!
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-13-24, 06:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,565 Times in 4,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Well, the originators of the ClIf Bar sold the company in 2022. You think that may have something to do with it?
There is a link to a response from a consumer to the new company that basically stated that their research showed customers would prefer a smaller bar vs. paying more. So yeah, they've gotten smaller. (But I'm not buying the so-called 'research' one bit.) Of course, I can't post the link. Do one of those fancy computer searches.
But the year the OP noticed shrinkage was 2006. That’s way before 2022 by my math, about 16 years.

Old 08-13-24, 07:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,972 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by ricomon35
IPayout is dependent on bar count purchased (more bars=higher payout) and only to customers that have receipts.
This is why I always keep my Clif bar receipts.

Your post really puts the necro in necropost.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-14-24, 05:10 AM
Bald Paul

Liked 1,865 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
But the year the OP noticed shrinkage was 2006. That’s way before 2022 by my math, about 16 years.

Got to remember to start looking at when the thread started.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 08-14-24, 06:22 AM
Steel Charlie

Liked 742 Times in 386 Posts
They can disappear for all I care. Reducing portion size is a pervasive move in packaged food products.
Life in Modern Times
Old 08-14-24, 06:37 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,423 Times in 8,136 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
They can disappear for all I care. Reducing portion size is a pervasive move in packaged food products.
Life in Modern Times
I call it the Pop•Tart Syndrome. In the not-to-distant future, a Pop•Tart will measure 1”x2” and cost $5.
Old 08-14-24, 10:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,198 Times in 6,776 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I call it the Pop•Tart Syndrome. In the not-to-distant future, a Pop•Tart will measure 1”x2” and cost $5.
As long as the strawberry ones still catch fire in the toaster, it will be worth it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-17-24, 10:43 AM
choddo

Liked 564 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Life in Modern Times
There’s a combination of shinkflation and some hocus pocus pretending to be less unhealthy going on with a lot of them.

By the way people (of 2006 and 2024) there is no such word as “alot”.
Old 08-18-24, 05:12 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Liked 601 Times in 453 Posts
Yes. Same thing for chocolate bars.

With inflation, manufacturers have the choice to reduce the portion and keep the same price or increase the price and keep the same portion. The former is usually the preferred option.
Old 08-18-24, 08:08 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Trek Marlin 6, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 819 Times in 415 Posts
Got to remember to start looking at when the thread started.
How come Batman has his mouth open but the speach bubble points to Robbin?
Old 08-18-24, 09:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,611 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Yes. Same thing for chocolate bars.
And toilet paper
https://mises.org/mises-wire/toilet-...ler-blame-fed#
Old 08-27-24, 10:28 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Liked 377 Times in 223 Posts
I carry Clif bars in my every day carry bag. Decent energy when I really need it but don't taste good enough to just eat as a snack
​​​​​​
Old 08-27-24, 10:43 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,708 Times in 1,458 Posts

move over clif bar - let honey stinger take over
Old 08-27-24, 10:44 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Liked 2,708 Times in 1,458 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
How come Batman has his mouth open but the speach bubble points to Robbin?
apparently Robin was a great ventriloquist

who knew
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-27-24, 12:01 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,115 Times in 1,922 Posts
I miss the ones that have coffee beans ground up in them. Also the espresso double shot gels. Not sure they make the gels at all anymore. I do a lot of early morning racing on Zwift and I like to get some caffeine to wake me up at the same time as I'm getting a little something so I don't race fasted.

Old 08-31-24, 05:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,972 Times in 2,079 Posts
From Aug 19th (I took the pic, but forgot to post it):

It turns out they weigh the same. I double-checked.
Old 08-31-24, 07:53 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 732 Times in 519 Posts
the originators of the ClIf Bar sold the company
It's neoliberalism innit. Everything has to suck so the shareholders can get their dividends. Private equity firms buy all the successful stuff they can find, and put the squeeze on until everything that created the success is gone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enshi
ttification
​​​Stupid bowdlerisation

Last edited by Kimmo; 08-31-24 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-31-24, 08:35 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,115 Times in 1,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
From Aug 19th (I took the pic, but forgot to post it):

It turns out they weigh the same. I double-checked.
The box I got last year that I'm just finishing working through they are only 2 ounces (bought a hole bunch on sale). Might be a different flavor being a different size though as I got pumpkin spice (not my favorite flavor), just after the fall ended at a deep discount direct from Cliff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.