Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Richmond: "Look out, no brakes"

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Richmond: "Look out, no brakes"

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 10:48 PM
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It might "suffice" but you're trying to say that a shoe on the rear wheel works "JUST AS WELL" as a properly installed and used handbrake?
Bull****.

Last edited by hyperRevue; 03-29-06 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 11:00 PM
spud
i am sure that i hate you

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hyperRevue
It might "suffice" but you're trying to say that it a shoe on the rear wheel works "JUST AS WELL" as a properly installed and used handbrake?
Bull****.
+1
Of Proposition 187
Old 03-29-06, 11:15 PM
trial-sin
true till death

Bikes: an indy fab fixxed, a soulcraft s/s, and a host of others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbeatonNJ
I saw a kid the other day riding in jeans with both pant legs roller, a black zipup sweatshirt with a big bike punk patch riding a Huffy tenspeed, safety levers and all.
that's badass. i'd like to think that if all i had to ride was a huffy ten speed, i'd still be riding.
Old 03-29-06, 11:44 PM
rvabiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're wrong that its unsafe becuase something tragic hasn't happened to him yet? So because I've never been in a car accident yet, riding without a seatbelt must be just as safe as riding with one.
Old 03-29-06, 11:47 PM
hyperRevue
King Among Runaways

Bikes: 2004 Bianchi Pista, Cannondale Track, Soma Pake, Schwinn Breeze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exactly.
Old 03-30-06, 01:57 AM
slopvehicle
ass hatchet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a kid the other day riding in jeans with both pant legs roller, a black zipup sweatshirt with a big bike punk patch riding a Huffy tenspeed, safety levers and all. Its been said that its easier to look the part than do the riding.
What's so "looking the part" about this? Keeping his pant cuffs out of the chain, wearing a sweatshirt because it's springtime, and wearing a "bike punk" patch while riding a bike? What a poser.
Old 03-30-06, 02:13 AM
somebodies
Major Major

Bikes: Zebrakenko (nishiki knock-off) fixed. Its all broke though. Now, some other old, unidentified japanese frame, freshly spray-painted black(kinda hot). Puch, ss...or is that fffda7th's?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find this thread funny to some extent. I don't know how individuals posting ride, but it seems funny that its only cool to ride brakeless if...

don't get me wrong, brakeless freewheel seems nuts to me. I know (of) two people who do it. One is a crazy(literally) old art type dude, rattlecanned the hole bike pinkish-purple, flipped his drop bars(didn't chop, mind) and stripped brakes, levers, etc. I asked him about it, says he brakes with a gloved hand. Rock on, old weird art dude.
The other is this skater kid I work with. I remember awhile back him talkin of wanting a fixed gear. He's been riding some beat Viscount road bike, the brake cables simply disconnected. Most recently, he stripped the levers and bar tape. It looks like a fixed, you know, minus the derailer and freewheel and all. Asked him about it too. Said he doesn't stop, just turns sharply and whatnot. He's a funny and cool kid, hope he doesn't get hurt.
Old 03-30-06, 04:45 AM
BritneySpears
Mein Minirock rutscht...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by somebodies
Said he doesn't stop, just turns sharply and whatnot. He's a funny and cool kid, hope he doesn't get hurt.
That sounds like a brilliant idea.
Old 03-30-06, 06:18 AM
DonPenguino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, around here (Liverpool) I've been relegated to a pink and white 80's Raleigh, stamped and riveted chainring, suicide levers, and steel 700c's. Can't take the safety levers off because there's a washer on the end of the pivot, and then the pivot was mushroomed to hold it on. While the bike is horrid, it still rolls and can be quite fun as I don't have to worry about bashing into curbs trying to hop them.

Albeit, I'm seriously tired of hills + weight...
Old 03-30-06, 06:47 AM
WatchItBurn
you could be rad

Bikes: '80s fuji fixed gear conversion, '05 bianchi pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turd
speaking of RVA -- anyone going down to slaughterama this weekend?
i will be there.
Old 03-30-06, 07:55 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I saw a kid the other day riding in jeans with both pant legs roller, a black zipup sweatshirt with a big bike punk patch riding a Huffy tenspeed, safety levers and all. Its been said that its easier to look the part than do the riding.
easy now. one of my favorite bike people and most capable improvisational-mechanics i've ever known had a way of finding crappy bikes, fixing them till they worked, and running them into the ground. she rode her share of huffys in between other (some better, some worse) bikes, but everything she rode, she scavenged, and got working with her own two hands. that's way cooler than droping a handful of benjamins on some track bike. if you saw her riding one of her junkers, with her rolled up pants and her shoulderbag, would you say she's looking the part instead of doing the riding? you probably would, but she's not. so, you know, go easy on the stupid generalizations, because that's stupid.
Old 03-30-06, 08:59 AM
RVAbatman
Coolest Chick You Know

Bikes: trek 330 (ss), schwinn caliente, schwinn cruiser, a plethora of bike parts that could probably make another bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
go easy on the stupid generalizations, because that's stupid.
+1 . signature material.
Old 03-30-06, 09:19 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
zow, damn, that's two people in the past two days who've added my quotes to their signature. am i the new mark twain? maybe.
Old 03-30-06, 09:41 AM
RVAbatman
Coolest Chick You Know

Bikes: trek 330 (ss), schwinn caliente, schwinn cruiser, a plethora of bike parts that could probably make another bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what can i say? i was moved. lol.
Old 03-30-06, 09:53 AM
RedDeMartini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes things work that would mostly fail. That doesn't make it a good idea. However sometimes big things get accomplished that way. Like discovering America (for the 15th time) or cutting of your toe.
Columbus was doing a really dumb thing, he wouldn't have fallen off the earth but he would have been eaten by his starving crew long before they reached Japan if they hadn't stumbled into a landmass halfway along the trip.

Brilliant or lucky?

If he was such a genius maybe we would have followed that up with something smarter than torturing and eventually exterminating the Arawak Indians to find their (nonexistent) goldmines.

So, because it works doesn't make it a good idea.

Lets call this the columbus principle.

It might work but that doesn't make it smart, but it works. (endless loop)

(till you cut your fool toes off in the spinning front wheels).
Old 03-30-06, 11:38 AM
manboy
The King of Town

Bikes: Haro Backtrail 20" (MISSING), Fuji Berkeley fixie, Huffy cruisercommuterdeathmobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, I did do this on BMX. It was dumb. Fun, but dumb. It was also a lot easier on a slow little BMX than on a big fast road bike.

When's Slaughterama? Do I need to alter my weekend plans?
Old 03-30-06, 12:40 PM
rvabiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, slaughterama is Saturday.