Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or....Are Motorcycle Riders accepting us in?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 07:40 PM
sandy_pangle
A/K/A "Alpha Male"

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200 (Upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have noticed more and more Motorcyclist who wave at me on while riding my bicycle lately than I ever have. I get the same wave they give when they meet fellow motorcyclists. Do you think they may be identifying with us as fellow "Cager Dodgers" or do you think Lycra turns them on.
Old 05-06-06, 08:20 PM
merlin70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't seen any change myself, I've never had a motorcyclist wave. I always thought there should be at least some common ground between the two types of users given the dangers of cars to both groups. But in my experience, motocyclist don't think much of bicycles if they think of them at all. And I should note I have 9 years motorcycle experience and 16 road bike.
Old 05-06-06, 10:12 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here in California where there are a lot of recreational bicyclists and motorcyclists using the same mountain roads, I think the two groups do share a lot of tolerance and courtesy for each other. This has been going on for decades, I don't think there is any recent change.

I regularly see motorcyclists wave, especially when you stay to the right and let them pass you on a narrow road.
Old 05-06-06, 10:31 PM
phatphong
amateur cycologist

Bikes: serotta fierte, trek 5500, lemond maillote jaune, jamis eclipse, Giant NRS 1, Giant AC1, Rocky Mountain Element Race, Bianchi Cross, Rapidix fixed gear, Cannondale CAAD5, Raleigh M80, Raleigh M50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in the california foothills, and most wave or acknowlege somehow. I also suspect it's up to you--if you don't extend the greeting/courtesy, then you should expect the same.
Old 05-06-06, 10:53 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In NYC, I always have this corny skit I pull with motorcyclists. When we're at the light together, I stop next to them and say, what do you have, 150 horses in that thing? I've got about a half.

I think as gas prices go up and drivers get more belligerent, we're all fighting the same battles, especially in NYC, namely in terms of visibility and adequate room on the road. Anything on 2 wheels is cool with me.
Old 05-06-06, 11:09 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
I've had both types wave, but more sport bikes wave than HD owners.

Nothing corny. Usually just a quick point.

You do know, right, that HD owners NEVER wave at Sport Bikes, and vice versa. It's weird.
But Gold Wing owners wave at everyone.
Old 05-06-06, 11:10 PM
uga8589
swamp biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my long ride today. I past several groups of motorcycles and everybody was very friendly. Last week, I rode my bike to work one day and I always keep it in my office; anyway, I was having a meeting with an employee and he makes the comment that he was going to get me into something we an engine not just two wheels. I looked at him and said, "I AM THE ENGINE."

I think that would make a great T-Shirt.

2006 Bianchi L'una
Old 05-06-06, 11:10 PM
uga8589
swamp biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my long ride today. I past several groups of motorcycles and everybody was very friendly. Last week, I rode my bike to work one day and I always keep it in my office; anyway, I was having a meeting with an employee and he makes the comment that he was going to get me into something we an engine not just two wheels. I looked at him and said, "I AM THE ENGINE."

2006 Bianchi L'una
Old 05-06-06, 11:12 PM
uga8589
swamp biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2006 Bianchi L'una
Old 05-06-06, 11:37 PM
DannoXYZ 

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Harley guys like to sneak up behind real close and gun their engines as they fly by... bastards...
Old 05-06-06, 11:52 PM
Raketmensch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandy_pangle
I have noticed more and more Motorcyclist who wave at me on while riding my bicycle lately than I ever have.
I have too. Interesting.
Old 05-07-06, 12:00 AM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a motorcyclist before a bicyclist. I always waved and cyclists, we share a bond, and that bond is 2 wheels.
Old 05-07-06, 03:06 AM
dta95b7r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harley riders don't wave to anyone cept other harley riders. I don't understand what their deal is, probably since most of them are down for the biker image from a time long ago. I wave at everyone when i'm out on my bike, but I don't bother on my bicycle (cept to other bicycles) never get the wave back heh
Old 05-07-06, 03:52 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Liked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
You do know, right, that HD owners NEVER wave at Sport Bikes, and vice versa. It's weird.
Being a Harely owner I can attest to that. Personally I wave to everyone. When I am wearing my helmet, almost always, even Harley owners don't wave.

Tim
Old 05-07-06, 04:02 AM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dta95b7r
) never get the wave back heh
Do you make eye contact?
Old 05-07-06, 04:07 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I sort of think motorcyclists and cyclists are both sort of alternative kinds of people. at least many of us. I think for that reason most of us share some similiar values. My encounters with motorcyclists I recall were friendly.
Old 05-07-06, 05:07 AM
domestique
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: 05 Cannondale Six 13 (Record 2008 with DT rr 1.1 rims, WI H2 Hubs and CX-ray spokes), OLMO Antares (Micx of 06 Record and Chorus), 1988 Tunturri, 1980's Fuji, 1970's Crescent (Sweeden)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never get a wave from motorcycles, and I rarely wave to them.... I do wave to cagers, especially if they let me in, or gave me the right away.

As for HD guys, I don't think they wave becasue they are just freaked out that my legs as a guy looks better then their sagging old biker chicks!

On a separate note, lately I have had a lot of cagers pulling in front of me! I don't think they realize how fast a bike can go, and a couple times I've had to lock my bike tire to avoid going face first into someone's back window!
Old 05-07-06, 05:29 AM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My experience with motorcyclists when I'm on my bike is usually either neutral or negative. I have had several buzz me with *very* little room to spare while I was ascending a mountain road, close to the right "to let them pass" (not that it would matter because they seem to squeeze through the smallest gaps anyway). One guy actually hit me; fortunately not hard enough to cause me to fall. The rest of them are just annoyingly loud and/or going a lot faster than I'd be comfortable doing. I see no "kinship".
Old 05-07-06, 06:04 AM
carlson5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Harley guys like to sneak up behind real close and gun their engines as they fly by... bastards...
Yeah, I had a couple peckers on HDs do this to me last summer. It scared the crap out of me and I actually wobbled a bit, they probably thought it was funny.
Old 05-07-06, 06:21 AM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sandy_pangle
I have noticed more and more Motorcyclist who wave at me on while riding my bicycle lately than I ever have. I get the same wave they give when they meet fellow motorcyclists. Do you think they may be identifying with us as fellow "Cager Dodgers" or do you think Lycra turns them on.
Dude, they are not accepting anything. There is no connection trust me. I have never had one wave at me like motorcyclist do to one another. I rode motorcycles for years and never observed a bicyclist wave at me nor did I wave at them. Not that I was being or thinking I was better, theres just no connection between the two.

Being a motorcyclist you were indoctrined into waving at one another. Don't get hurt feelings if you wave and they don't back. I can say this, I don't think any motorcyclist feels like bikers obstruct the roads.
Old 05-07-06, 06:32 AM
watchman

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get waved at by motorcyclists all the time as I do toward bicyclists when i'm riding my motorcycle. There is a common ground between the two, it is being on two wheels and not in a cage or being hit by one (car for those who don't know the term).
Old 05-07-06, 06:38 AM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had more Harley guys wave than anything else actually. It's usually the really old ones...the younger riders seem to be bigger fans of the 'sneak up and gun it' routine
Old 05-07-06, 06:42 AM
msheron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by watchman
I get waved at by motorcyclists all the time as I do toward bicyclists when i'm riding my motorcycle. There is a common ground between the two, it is being on two wheels and not in a cage or being hit by one (car for those who don't know the term).
I personally don't see it other than in their mind, "At least that guy rides two wheels!"

Watchman................I live in Weaverville, you ever want to ride just e-mail me. We always look to find riders to ride with from my group.
Old 05-07-06, 06:43 AM
msheron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus
I've had more Harley guys wave than anything else actually. It's usually the really old ones...the younger riders seem to be bigger fans of the 'sneak up and gun it' routine
Snuff..............I use to live in Hope Mills several years ago. Haven't heard that term, "Fayettenam" in a long time!
Old 05-07-06, 06:45 AM
dsb137

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand the friction, but up here in the N.Ga mountains the bikers and the cyclists seem to be at odds...

https://www.georgiasportbike.com/foru...ad.php?t=29234

I ride both btw. and have for years...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.