Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Carrying a dang porta-potty

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Carrying a dang porta-potty

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 02:20 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not the most photogenic form of life , but it's very important to the life of the desert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tcryptobiotic.jpg (13.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-21-06, 03:21 PM
Rocket Dawg
Train hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht
It's not the most photogenic form of life , but it's very important to the life of the desert.

Turds don't blend in with that?

Chuck

Last edited by Rocket Dawg; 05-21-06 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 03:25 PM
Rocket Dawg
Train hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Either way , it's not logic or experience(at least you haven't shown any here).

Let me know when you've really done some real wilderness travel and then we can talk about experience. I'm going to spend 2 weeks on a solo bike trip in the Maze... ending up at Hite Marina well south of the park. When I get back I'll let you know how it went.

Some talk... and some do.

See ya.

Chuck
Old 05-21-06, 03:49 PM
Hank Rearden
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trevor
i wanna see some cryptobiotic soils at their finest!
Don't bust the crust.

Side note:

Recently crypto has been found to not be as sensitive as once believed. When it's necessary to remove it to lay in a trail folks have been storing it in buckets until the wet season starts. When it's redistributed it thrives once again.

Still no reason to create new line through it though...
Old 05-21-06, 04:06 PM
Rocket Dawg
Train hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
Still no reason to create new line through it though...

Hank I completely respect the crypto-biotic crust of The Canyonlands. Somehow someone on this thread has put together that human waste and destruction of the crust are one in the same.

This is simply not true.

The disposal of human waste in The Maze has more to do with the fact that it builds up over time due to the conditions. It becomes unsightly and must be managed. Hence the requirement for porta-potties and the reason why I asked about them to begin with.

Again this has nothing to do with the crust of the desert.

There's no sense in going off trail and harming the crust that is undisturbed. I never said otherwise.

(Cool photo by the way Hank. This is going to be fun.)

Take care!

Chuck
Old 05-21-06, 06:19 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you guys are slinging a lot of poo around here. I crack me up!!!!
Old 05-21-06, 06:25 PM
Hank Rearden
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
No sh|t.
Old 05-21-06, 07:21 PM
Rocket Dawg
Train hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66

If you got this far into the thread you must feel wiped.

Chuck
Old 05-21-06, 07:39 PM
watchman

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Vortex - Shimano Ultegra, Jamis Dakar XC- Shimano XT, Diamond Back Axis TT- rigid with drop bars and bar end shifters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an answer to your original question. Get a piece (2-3 ft) of PVC tubing about 4 inches in diameter, cap one end and put on screw on top on the other end. Take a dump in plastic bags, add some lime if you have it, tie bag up and deposit in tube, screw lid on tight. Easy to carry, sealed well, unbreakable for the most part. When done with trip, easy to dispose of.
Old 05-21-06, 08:02 PM
Rocket Dawg
Train hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by watchman
Here is an answer to your original question. Get a piece (2-3 ft) of PVC tubing about 4 inches in diameter, cap one end and put on screw on top on the other end. Take a dump in plastic bags, add some lime if you have it, tie bag up and deposit in tube, screw lid on tight. Easy to carry, sealed well, unbreakable for the most part. When done with trip, easy to dispose of.

Now THAT is the kind of answer I was looking for! That may very well be the way I go about it.

Many thanks.

Chuck
Old 05-21-06, 08:11 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hank

Originally Posted by Rocket Dawg
The disposal of human waste in The Maze has more to do with the fact that it builds up over time due to the conditions. It becomes unsightly and must be managed. Hence the requirement for porta-potties and the reason why I asked about them to begin with.

Again this has nothing to do with the crust of the desert.

There's no sense in going off trail and harming the crust that is undisturbed. I never said otherwise.

(Cool photo by the way Hank. This is going to be fun.)

Take care!

Chuck
I told you what I have seen used by cyclists in The Maze . I have rafted , camped ,and hiked in the area .I truly hope you have a great(and safe) time in Canyonlands . Be very cautious with your drinking water , it doesn't take much bad water to get Giardia(I found out the hard way). Water got splashed into my mouth while rafting Cataract Canyon . About a week later , I was one very sick camper . Maybe after you do your trip there , we'll have something to talk about . What I was trying to point out was a reason for the porta-potty . Most users of the backcountry would not want to drop a duece onto an existing trail , and would venture off the path/campsite to a more private area(trampling the cryptobiotic soil in the process). BTW, I listed a few of my backcountry experiences , those are but a sample of my trips . Many of my excursions are 3-5 day , snowshoe/tele-skiing trips starting at 10,000 ft and getting near the peaks of several of the 14er's in Colorado .

Last edited by BoSoxYacht; 05-21-06 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 08:15 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now THAT is the kind of answer I was looking for! That may very well be the way I go about it.

Many thanks.

Chuck
That is a very good idea , but not what I saw being used there
Old 05-21-06, 08:20 PM
Rocket Dawg
Train hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I told you what I have seen used by cyclists in The Maze . I have rafted , camped ,and hiked in the area .

I do respect your experience there. This is one trip I am not taking lightly as any significant error can cost me my life. I'm well aware of the risks however I do listen carefully to the advice given by those who have been there before me.

I like a spirited debate from time-to-time. I do agree with what you were saying about the crust. You can be sure I will be careful around it and I do plan to follow the park rules the best I can. I will pack out what I pack in.

Thanks for the input you have given.

Chuck
Old 05-21-06, 08:35 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like a spirited debate from time-to-time. I do agree with what you were saying about the crust. You can be sure I will be careful around it and I do plan to follow the park rules the best I can. I will pack out what I pack in.

Thanks for the input you have given.

Chuck
Thanks Dawg , I also enjoy a good debate. What bike are you using for this trip ? When do you plan on doing the trip ? If you are there during October , you should check out the Moab bike festival (www.moabbikefest.com) .

Last edited by BoSoxYacht; 05-21-06 at 10:22 PM.