Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

LOOK!! This is why Basso,Ulrich Out Of Tour:Drugs!!

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

LOOK!! This is why Basso,Ulrich Out Of Tour:Drugs!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 08:52 AM
Feltup
Pain Cleanseth

Bikes: On*One Imbred (commuter), Specialized Rockcombo(commuter)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone dopes. The people that win are the ones that don't get caught. Sad but true. What would really suck is if you doped and still came in last place. Thats when you know you really need to find a new profession.
Old 06-30-06, 08:52 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlJStoneham
There are both sides to this, but I think it's highly unlikely that Lance was doping. i say this only because they tried their best to catch him doping. he was under a microscope. They showed up at his house whenever they thought they might be able to catch him offguard. If he doped, he's using alien drugs that don't even show up to the naked eye (looks like air or something, I guess ). No, I think Lance was just one of those rare freaks of nature, the next step on the evolutionary chain if you will. I won't 100% rule out the possibility of doping immediately after cancer to get back to shape (some of Lance's responses to point-blank "Have you ever doped" questions have been decidely Mark McGuire-ish), but I'm inclined to doubt any serious doping.
What rock have you been living under? You realize that Ivan Basso, Jan Uhlrich, and many others on the Operation Puerto list were tested out the ying yang and never came up positive for Performance Enhancing drugs (Uhlrich was supsended for a recreational drug). In fact David Millar never tested positive.
The argument that someone never tested postive, therefore its proven they didn't dope has a fundamentally flawed premise.
Old 06-30-06, 08:54 AM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GGDub
From the other side however, Lance smashed two riders in the last two tours who were probably doped. I have a hard time believing a clean Lance could ride a doped Basso and Ulrich into the ground...
Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a game hungover. Some people just are that dominant.

Whatever happened to childlike hope?
Old 06-30-06, 09:00 AM
sh_wn

Bikes: late 80s Raleigh Record, Raleigh M-40 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be a bit upset...

From cycling news: The ICU "assumes that the following riders, signed in to participate at the Tour de France 2006, are involved in the affair: Sergio Paulinho, Isidro Nozal, Allan Davis, Alberto Contador, Joseba Beloki, Francisco Mancebo, Ivan Basso, Jan Ullrich and Oscar Sevilla."

Assumes? I'd be a bit upset right now if I was any of these... If Basso is innocent of this, I would be headhunting for Riis....
Old 06-30-06, 09:00 AM
gurana
Tęte de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This is besides the point, but that velonews site is horendous. For a long time I've noticed that they're riddled with typos, and various other grammatical errors. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but to me it is kind of important. Far be it from me to criticize a website, or an individual, for spelling errors, or the improper use of "it's" v. "its", but this is supposed to be a news source. Right off the bat, it puts their information to question. If they can't even edit or proof their articles, what faith should I put into the content of what they publish?

Right away, this caught my eye, and it probably should've caught at least one person's eye before they put it out there:
Originally Posted by velonews
...If the 28-year-old [Francisco Mancebo] is thrown out by his team, it would mean that three of the top five finishers from last year's race would be absent.
If I'm not mistaken, that would actually make the total 4 out of 5...
Last years results:
1. Lance Armstrong (USA), Discovery Channel
2. Ivan Basso (I), CSC, 04:40
3. Jan Ullrich (G), T-Mobile, 06:21
4. Francisco Mancebo (Sp), Illes Balears, 09:59
5. Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz), T-Mobile, 11:01

A more pointed statement might have been, "the top four finishers from last year's TdF would be absent".
Old 06-30-06, 09:04 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
you are of course correct. i think they probably meant the podium finishers of last years tour (i.e. the top three). but yeah, i agree, they should write better. i imagine it's a huge panic to get these stories published as quickly as possible.
Old 06-30-06, 09:07 AM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This smells fishier than Bar en Croûte de Sel.
Old 06-30-06, 09:10 AM
jslopez
Zen Cyclist

Bikes: Orbea Orca Campified...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the sucky part even for the winner is that there will be an ? as the top tour contenders weren't there.
Old 06-30-06, 09:17 AM
jamiewilson3

Bikes: Parlee Z4, Storck C1.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is all this blood doping stuff I keep hearing about?
Old 06-30-06, 09:17 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I am not going to get into the whole did he or didn't he (lance) the issues
are muddy enough.
T-Mobile reportedly suspended Jan, Sevilla and Pevenage for lying about their
associations with Fuentes. They asked all their riders and staff to sign an affidavit
stating they had no associations, after the Gardia report came out those signed
affidavits were judge and jury, they purjered themselves (atmo).

As for innocent until proven guilty. we are not talking about the US criminal system
we are talking about a) Europe 2) Corporate Sponsorship and thirdly the court of public
opinion.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 06-30-06, 09:18 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EURO
No they didn't.
yeah they did - well sort of. I recall a story about how they suprised Lance and Sheryl at the door of Sheryl's apartment (I think in NYC?) one time and tested him.

There are things out there that just don't test. I recall an article in the past couple of months on some kind of growth hormone that some cyclist have been taking the past couple of years that is totally undetectable.

Guys - doping will always be in cycling. Its been there since day 1 all the way until now. Cyclist of all eras have always taken whatever they had on hand to give them as much of an edge as possible. Not saying all cyclists have been dirty, just that at all times there were some cyclists taking things to enhance their performance. In the early days it was cocain, amphetamines, ect... This bust will just stir up a dirty cloud for a while and then settle. I agree with El Diablo, the timing stinks. If it had been a few months earlier - ok. But a couple of days before the Tour is going to devastate this years race.
Old 06-30-06, 09:21 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah they did - well sort of. I recall a story about how they suprised Lance and Sheryl at the door of Sheryl's apartment (I think in NYC?) one time and tested him.
That's a standard out-of-race check. Everyone is subjected to them.
Old 06-30-06, 09:22 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
m not up on the full scandal and time frame of the alleged activities. Were any of the riders on Disco at the time they alleged to be associated with the ring?
Nope, this is just one doctor. The Disco guys doping doctor would be a different guy.
Old 06-30-06, 09:23 AM
sidhayes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why bother to watch? Why should the riders bother to ride, except to fulfull their contracts. Any placing, any victory, will be hollow, worthless.
Old 06-30-06, 09:23 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might be bad for the Tour this year, It's better in the long run that this gets cleaned up. Younger riders have to know that there isn't a different set of rules for the guys at the top.
Bah - see Festina in 98 and Simpson in 67. Nothing will change.
Old 06-30-06, 09:24 AM
SSC

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road Bike; Giant Trinity Alliance 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it's getting real ugly now.

This has made the front page as breaking news on espn.com:

https://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf200...ory?id=2505072
Old 06-30-06, 09:25 AM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyBob
This is terrible. I was so looking forward to the Ivan/Jan duel this year.
Maybe they can go Mano e Mano and OLN could show it between bullriding and hockey

In all seriousness, this is sad, if this is true these guys have lost the joy of a riding that most of the BF members display everyday! I am glad I get on a bike because I love it!
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 06-30-06, 09:26 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EURO
That's a standard out-of-race check. Everyone is subjected to them.
Sorry - must have misinterpreted your earlier post then. You seemed to be saying they never tested Lance at home?
Old 06-30-06, 09:28 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey toss me a plane ticket I'll fill in, they'll only find THC in my blood...
Old 06-30-06, 09:31 AM
catbus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance aside, I have the sneaky feeling that World Cycling Productions is having a big cryfest over this.
shakeNbake
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Holy shiat!!!

I just woke up!!

That popping sound you heard was a bottle of champagne in Landis' bus.
catbus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msheron
There goes the ratings don't you think?

Oh well, will keep up with it anyway to see what transpires!
I was thinking more in line with DVD sales.
Old 06-30-06, 09:35 AM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They seriously need to cancel the prologue and maybe the first couple stages so they can clear this up. They need some time to do some DNA tests and then suspend. I guess I'm just spoiled by due process.

I was so excited for the tour. I was even going to get up early to watch the prologue. I think now, I'll just sleep in. The tour is going to be horrible. On OLN, every two minutes they are going to be talking about doping and how Lance didn't dope and Discovery doesn't dope, etc...I'm sick of it already and the race has yet to start. The racing may be interesting but the coverage is going to be awful. Frankly, I don't think I'll be watching unless something major happens.

Anyone else think there is a possibility that the Tour will be cancelled entirely at some point? My guess, stage 7...
Old 06-30-06, 09:38 AM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TYB069
They seriously need to cancel the prologue and maybe the first couple stages so they can clear this up.
Nah, i disagree, i really can't wait to see the prologue. its still gonna be the "clean"(hopefully, though who knows) David Millar vs. Dave Zabriskie (who we all hope is clean too, i'm sure)

either way, i love TTs/prologues and this should be a good one.
Old 06-30-06, 09:40 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone think Floyd is dirty?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.