Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Egg Beaters and shoes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Egg Beaters and shoes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 04:34 PM
Alrocket
sport fanatic

Bikes: Trek 4300, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Egg Beaters and shoes

I've recently upgraded from cheap Wellgos (WPD823 - around 30-40e 2yrs ago) to the entry level Egg Beaters. I swapped shoes at the same time, which in hindsight wasn't the best idea - it'd be better to change 1 thing, tweak, change the next.

Anyway I had my "christening" crash, a slow fall sideways to the pavement the first day I used 'em - nothing new there with changing pedals I guess. But I had a real crash today - turning at speed, jumping kerb, mud under front wheel, no rear brakes - deserving of a Darwin. Gloves worth every penny (again).

A bruised ego and elbow and a little concern about using the Egg Beaters out on the single trail on Saturday. I would have come down a little lighter if I had been able to unclip today, and I'm pretty sure I could have unclipped the Wellgos in time.

My first question is, do Egg Beaters get easier to disengage from as they become more used?

--

Secondly, I have some cheap Decathlon shoes ("Rockriders"). I find them very uncomfortable with these pedals due to small platform of the pedal. I feel like I should be moving the cleats forward but they're as far up as they can go. Is this likely to be the crappy sole of my cheap shoes? If it's only the shoes then I can fix this by getting a pair of decent shoes like my old Specialized's.

New shoes: https://static.flickr.com/90/242525618_bf0bbca52c.jpg
Old shoes: https://static.flickr.com/97/242525506_b030d35461.jpg
Old 09-13-06, 05:05 PM
baxtefer
Cornucopia of Awesomeness

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. yes. replace the cleats when it gets *too* easy.
2. if the soles of your current shoes aren't stiff then you'll feel the tiny pedal more. stiffer soles = weight distribulted over a larger area.
Old 09-13-06, 05:26 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They get easier within days of learning them. I learned in the first ride that the egg beater cleat screws included were too short and didnt hold into my answer shoes. That was my fall, I used the screws incl with the shoes then since they were longer. What happened was they loosened and when i turned my shoe, the cleat stayed and the shoe swiveled due to a screw coming out.

Look at the cleat directions, there is two ways to install the cleats, try both ways to see which way you engage from the pedal earlier.
Old 09-13-06, 05:45 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EricDJ
They get easier within days of learning them. I learned in the first ride that the egg beater cleat screws included were too short and didnt hold into my answer shoes. .
- i've rec'vd two different sets of four hex cleats, short and long, w/all my eggbeaters...

+1 on stiffer soles (although i use sixsixone '05 Launches for 20 milers with no problems)...

- love my eggbeaters! i've found the new Smarty's to be great (as low as <$40), with a benefit of no-maintenance - we'll have to see how long they last... others i use are candys and regulars in stainless...
Old 09-13-06, 06:21 PM
Alrocket
sport fanatic

Bikes: Trek 4300, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have them installed so they disengage earlier (2 circles on right shoe) - 15 deg release angle. It's possible that my Wellgos had degraded to a 10-12 deg release which I've accustomed to. Just need plenty of practice with these if that's the case!

Sounds like sole stiffness is a likely candidate here. It's not the sole stiffness lengthways along the shoe that's concerning me, specifically it's the 0.75" x 2" weight bearing rectangle where the pedal contacts the shoe, the cheaper shoes don't seem to be doing a good job of spreading it over the ball of the foot.

linux_author: nice job on the Crossroads - inspiring. I particularly like that you did it bit by bit. I've been thinking of upgrading my Trek 4300 MTB (to something like Poprad, Crosscheck or Kaffenback). But I spent hours looking at fitting drops and road gearing to my MTB after seeing your thread earlier, reminded me of the possibilities in everything - thanks.
Old 09-13-06, 08:22 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
- i've rec'vd two different sets of four hex cleats, short and long, w/all my eggbeaters...

+1 on stiffer soles (although i use sixsixone '05 Launches for 20 milers with no problems)...

- love my eggbeaters! i've found the new Smarty's to be great (as low as <$40), with a benefit of no-maintenance - we'll have to see how long they last... others i use are candys and regulars in stainless...
They had the eggbeater box in the shoe box with the shoes. They probably did come with the pedals then and just fell out into the shoe box.
Old 09-14-06, 05:26 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are doing any mud the eggbeaters cannot be beat even in volcanic clay that completely debilitates your bike! They do get easier to disengage after a few days and a little wear.