Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone pay this kind of $$ for this stuff?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does anyone pay this kind of $$ for this stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 01:48 PM
mikemets5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assos

I don't regret a single Assos purchase...its that good.
Old 09-23-06, 01:48 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Caveman
The Assos is cool and if you want it, get it. None of my business, but it rings hollow when you try to justify that it's worth $250 because it's that much better than anything else. I'll concede it's the best you can buy. It's cool, looks great, works well and lasts a long time. It still isn't $150 better than any decent Gore-Tex bike jacket. I doubt that many on here proclaiming the virtues of Assos would pony up $570 for a jacket that had Nashbar plastered across the back if by some quirk of the gods it actually was the best money could buy. The aversion to a particular brand or the preference for another has more to do with purchasing decisions than most of us will admit. I'm as guilty as anybody. If I really thought an Assos windbreaker was worth $250 I'd buy it if I thought I needed it. I doubt if I'd do the same for a $250 Nashbar windbreaker of equal quality.

I'm not trying to tell you what to wear or buy. It's your money. Spend it however you want and enjoy yourself. Life's too short not to. The topic of this thread is whether or not top-of-the-line stuff is worth it. Some is, some isn't.

You have a good ride too.
if you want to focus on the clima jet, go ahead. i've already made it clear in this thread (i think it was this thread) that i find that particular piece of clothing expensive.

as far as their winter gear: you get what you pay for