Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

French Alps Report #1: La Marmotte featuring Alpe d'Huez and Col du Galibier

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 01:23 PM
steephill
The view is the reward

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last summer, I was lucky enough to spend seven weeks in Southern France. For one of those weeks, I joined four guys on the Marmotte ride and several other rides in Vercors and Provence regions. Here is my first report:

https://www.steephill.tv/2006/alpe-d-huez/

enjoy.
Old 09-27-06, 01:27 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
ah... i see you were caught behind the glandon descent crash. a buddy was there, and also stuck.

things like that, and the limited support, is one reason why i've never had a great urge to do marmotte.

thanks for the report.
Old 09-27-06, 01:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 385 Posts
Nice report. Very cool ride. I've ridden the climbs on the Marmotte ride, but not all at once. And I did Etape in 2005. The whole scene around Etape is really cool. Amazing all the spectators, and its run essentially like a stage of the TDF, close as I'll ever get. Like Fantasy camp for cyclists.

Love to do Marmotte, and also a Grandfondo around the Giro. So little time, so many rides.
Old 09-27-06, 01:47 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Love to do Marmotte, and also a Grandfondo around the Giro. So little time, so many rides.
do the maratona dles dolomiti. amazing & super friendly organization.
Old 09-27-06, 01:55 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 385 Posts
gees Botto, don't you think that's kinda lightweight? only 85 miles Actually, with 14,000 vertical, I'm sure it would be plenty tough. The link for others interested is: https://www.maratona.it/home.php
Old 09-27-06, 02:03 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
gees Botto, don't you think that's kinda lightweight? only 85 miles Actually, with 14,000 vertical, I'm sure it would be plenty tough. The link for others interested is: https://www.maratona.it/home.php
you're right, it's for ******* only 4190 meters of climbing, and speedbumps like Passo Giau.

It's sooo easy that Raimundas Rumas managed to finish it in only 4:23.

Old 09-27-06, 03:02 PM
steephill
The view is the reward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
ah... i see you were caught behind the glandon descent crash. a buddy was there, and also stuck.

things like that, and the limited support, is one reason why i've never had a great urge to do marmotte.

thanks for the report.
The support was pretty good, but a feed zone at the base of Col du Telegraphe would have been nice. It's a crazy event everything considered... worth doing at least once
Old 09-27-06, 03:06 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great report. Color me jealous.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 09-27-06, 03:07 PM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great report. Would love to ride the Alps sometime.
Old 09-27-06, 03:08 PM
botto 

Originally Posted by steephill
The support was pretty good, but a feed zone at the base of Col du Telegraphe would have been nice. It's a crazy event everything considered... worth doing at least once
i'm tempted, trust me.

as far as the comments on the support, i'm going by what friend's have told me: that the maratona's support is 100X better than the marmotte's (which in the past has been known to run out of water at feed stations, for example).
Old 09-27-06, 03:21 PM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in Vercors last month!!! Went with gastrobiking.com who were absolutely brilliant!!!

Here's some pics of some of the Marmotte route (galibier and alpe d'huez) and a bit of vercors, I'm the chinese fella:

Riding Pics
Scenery Pics

Agree what you were saying at the star of the report, there's lots of good riding in that area, particularly round Vercors. I think its easy to overlook some of these areas in the search for "big name cols".
Old 09-27-06, 03:34 PM
steephill
The view is the reward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mingsta
I was in Vercors last month!!! Went with gastrobiking.com who were absolutely brilliant!!!

Here's some pics of some of the Marmotte route (galibier and alpe d'huez) and a bit of vercors, I'm the chinese fella:

Riding Pics
Scenery Pics
Nic pics. I cycled the Vercors as well and have a report in the works for it as well but I don't remember cycling this road: https://gallery114241.fotopic.net/p33637936.html. Where exactly was that photo taken?

Last edited by steephill; 09-27-06 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 05:07 PM
mingsta
All the gear and no idea.

Bikes: 03 Klein Attitude Comp, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Condor Pista Track, Seven Alaris SG = perfection, all the bike I will ever need

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm afraid I couldn't name that bit, it was all new to me. It was one of the ascents up to the vercors plateau. What did you think of the French cuisine? Very tasty but distinctly lacking in carbs, seemingly being made up entirely of red meat and cheese!!! Had to address the balance by consuming copious quantities of gateau!!!
Old 09-27-06, 07:46 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you need a bike butler on your next trip, consider this my job application.....
Old 09-28-06, 11:26 AM
steephill
The view is the reward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mingsta
I'm afraid I couldn't name that bit, it was all new to me. It was one of the ascents up to the vercors plateau. What did you think of the French cuisine? Very tasty but distinctly lacking in carbs, seemingly being made up entirely of red meat and cheese!!! Had to address the balance by consuming copious quantities of gateau!!!
I found the French cuisine very rich. Bread occupies every meal so there is one good way to get some carbs; however, it's often tough just to find somewhere to eat! The hours and locations of grocery stores and restaurents make it difficult.
Old 10-09-06, 08:03 AM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by steephill
Nic pics. I cycled the Vercors as well and have a report in the works for it as well but I don't remember cycling this road: https://gallery114241.fotopic.net/p33637936.html. Where exactly was that photo taken?
Possibly Combe Laval (based on the orientation of the overhang, and also because the road through the Petits and Grands Goulets was closed this year)? I don't recognize this particular overhang though.