Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ideas on 7 day-ride?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ideas on 7 day-ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 01:19 PM
JPW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ideas on 7 day-ride?

The Bike Club I ride with is looking for ideas on a 7 day- ride in early Sept. 07. We would like to do 50-75 miles a day, staying in hotels and a starting point with in one days drive of Crystal Lake Il. which is northwest of Chicago. We would consider a touring company or doing it ourselves with cue sheets and maps. Any input from people with experience or ideas is appreciated. Thanks. John Waterloo
Old 10-16-06, 08:34 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Liked 158 Times in 101 Posts
Glacier National Park is just beautiful in early September. Plus the crowds are significantly diminished after Labor Day. Amtrak goes from Chicago to East Glacier (a summer stop) with baggage service at East Glacier. You could plan to spend the first and last nights at Glacier Park Lodge - right next to the train station - or you could stay in a cheapo hostel or in between. There are lodges and cabins scattered throughout the park and in gateway communities.

Lve Chi - Sat 2:30 p (Columbus, WI 5:00 p)
Arr E Glac - Sun 6:45 p

There a countless ways to ride in the park.
You should definitely do Going to the Sun Road
Either a loop including US 2 or both ways.

Lve E Glac - Sat 10:00 a
Arr Chi - Sun 4:00p (Columbus, WI 12:45 p)

You can leave your cars at the Columbus station - plus they have baggage there, too.
Amtrak requires boxing on the Empire Builder; however, a group may be able to make special arrangements.

You can also fly into Great Falls.

If you and other members of your group haven't been to Glacier, I urge you to consider - even if it is a little far. The first week in Sept, is a perfect time to cycle what many believe to be the United State's most beautiful national park - plus Going to the Sun Road is considered by many to be the best ride in the U.S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20060907C_Going_to_the_Sun.jpg (89.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-16-06, 08:36 PM
vosyer
WATERFORD22

Bikes: Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Juan Islands and Victoria BC then back to Seattle - awesome 7 day ride
Old 10-16-06, 09:08 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Liked 158 Times in 101 Posts
Closer to Chicago - Closer to Chicago.
Glacier is already pushing it.
Old 10-16-06, 09:49 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
You might do a ride up in Wisconsin, up the Lake Mich. shoreline north, then over to Superior, then back down. It's beautiful country.
Old 10-17-06, 04:43 AM
cbike_47909

Try the Blue Ridge Parkway or Natchez Trace. Either should fit your day criteria.
The Blue Ridge is a good challenge in a week but doable. Our group of nine did this in 02 and still talk about the memories and beauty. https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ https://www.nps.gov/blri/
The Natchez is much less aggressive but really nice. The TN section is my favorite with plenty of rolling hills. https://www.nps.gov/natr/
Both of these are National Parks with I believe 45-50 MPH speed limits and no commercial trucks. The amount of traffic is low except in the fall color season.
Access to lodging and food is off the parkways but not an issue with preplanning.
Another opportunity would be Southern Indiana. Most all of the counties South of Indianapolis are scenic, remote and rolling. I assure you that it's not all cornfields and straight roads down there!
Cycling map book "Back Roads Of Indiana" is a great resource to navagate the remote areas of Indiana. It shows most all paved roads in the state with suggested routes and points of intertest.
Indiana Charlie
https://www.lafayette-in.com/bikeindiana.html

Old 10-17-06, 07:40 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think Wisconsin is the way to go. There are great maps and great roads.. You could actually start your ride there in Crystal Lake, go through Bull Valley on your way north. Kettle Moraine would be great riding that time of year. Log on to Wis DOT site and you can download maps of every county color coded for bicycling. Seven days at 50 to 75 mpd and you should be able to swing a big loop. This past summer I used mapquest as a starting point for point to point, then used the bike maps to plan the route off the highways and on the county and town roads along it. (I rode down to Woodstock from River Falls, great ride!)
Old 10-17-06, 07:49 AM
ganni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sicily. We are planning a 7 - 8 days at sicily in april-may 07. try going around it, its very nice
Old 10-18-06, 06:40 AM
JPW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THANKS to everyone who replied to our question on a 7-day ride. After reading just a few I have “ride my bike fever”. John --- McHenry County Bike Club
Old 10-18-06, 08:57 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Door County, up to chain of lakes region in northern wis, and return? (Eagle river WI)
Door County a bit, then take the lake michigan ferry across to Michigan, ride up to Traverse city area, and return?
Copper country and over to Duluth, the north shore of minnesota a ways, and back? first week in september is a little early, but you might catch the start of the color change up in the copper country...

How about over to Ontario and the Mitchipicoten Peninsula and around thereabouts? its preety.....

if you wind up in northern lower michigan or the eastern UP, don't forget an overnight to Mackinac Island- one of the few places in america where CARS ARE NOT ALLOWED. it's very, very 19th century feeling......