Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Old Campy c-record hubs - What to do?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 11:45 PM
stieg
No school like old school

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a set of Campy c-record hugs given to me in highschool (about 15 years ago) for graduation. I was riding a lot then, but now with 2.2 kids (one's in the oven) what should I do with them?

I was going to build them with tubulars when I got them, my old cycling mentor telling me (who also gave me the hubs) that I needed to have a set of tubulers. Now, 15 or so years downsteam, I have a set of old-but-sweet hubs with unbuilt Mavic GL 330s and spokes that I think are the correct size (the first spokes we bought were the wrong size. I have new spokes but have no idea if they are the correct size anymore -- it's been 15 years, remember?).

What should I do with them? Build them as tubulars? Build them as Fixies for my old chrome-stays Bianchi Mondial? Build them as 7-speeds for the Mondial? Ebay the whole package for someone else to build and spent on something more interesting?

What do you recommend I do with these old hubs? What would you do?
Old 12-11-06, 12:01 AM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jason lee seem's to be big on buying bike parts online. sell them to him and feel famous by association.
Old 12-11-06, 12:09 AM
trons
yo yo yo yo yo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you do happen to ebay them, and they are indeed nos, you will get a lot of money for them, that's for sure.
Old 12-11-06, 12:16 AM
stieg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are new. I don't have the boxes anymore, we took those off when we first went to build them and threw them away. When we found we had the wrong size spokes we couldn't finish the job.

Then I went off the college and the rest is history. Now I have the hubs and spokes in an old High School gymbag and I'm not sure what to do with them. I could sell them but they are sweat-ass hubs. I could keep them; but I don't really need them. I've got an old Mondial and a new Raleigh One Way. But there's nothing truly rational about it. I could rebuild them into new wheels (tubulars or otherwise) or sell them and spend the money on something else.
Old 12-11-06, 02:08 AM
vobopl
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sell them to me, I have rims which long for these.
Old 12-11-06, 02:15 AM
roadfix
hello

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
I thought you had C Record track hubs.
Old 12-11-06, 05:32 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stieg
they are sweat-ass hubs..

Genius. I don't want them because.....well you know. The smell.
Old 12-11-06, 12:08 PM
Ceya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Build them up or sell them to me. seriously. yes with Tubulars, I have Gel 280s and had GL 330s(Stolen with my Alma Pura )

I will get the whole thing.

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 12-11-06, 12:21 PM
ryand
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of Campy c-record hugs given to me in highschool...
Campy Hugs!? Thats ****ing crazy!!!
(end of jackassitude)

What should I do with them? Build them as tubulars? Build them as Fixies for my old chrome-stays Bianchi Mondial? Build them as 7-speeds for the Mondial? Ebay the whole package for someone else to build and spent on something more interesting?
If they aren't track hubs, don't build a suicide hub out of something so nice. If you don't have a geared bike you could use them for, sell them so somebody can enjoy them with the intended use.
Old 12-11-06, 03:27 PM
DC_Emily
Headed to the Library...

Bikes: 2003 cherry red Bianchi Giro, Quattro Assi Team 2000 Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with ryand on this. find out what they are and use them as intended. Tubulars could be a pain (and expensive) if you plan on using them on the road. If you're going to use them on the track, go for it.

I have low flange c-records laced to mavic open pro (recent gift). They're absolutely gorgeous.
Old 12-11-06, 03:44 PM
stieg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They aren't track hubs. Just low flange 32 hole C-Records.

I'm not sure I'm up for the potential hassels of tubulars. That's one of the reasons I never got around to building them. I only ride on the road and it never seemed like it was worth the trouble. The guy who bought me the hubs kept telling me that I needed to ride a good set of tubulars.

I might just sell the the whole set and let someone else build and enjoy them. OTOH They are nice hubs and have some sentimental value and would be great on my Bianchi.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-11-06, 03:51 PM
kemmer
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are new. I don't have the boxes anymore, we took those off when we first went to build them and threw them away. When we found we had the wrong size spokes we couldn't finish the job.

Then I went off the college and the rest is history.
Sounds like they're NOS without the box right? You'd probably still get good money for them and you could (if you wanted to) a nice track hub and have money left over.
Old 12-11-06, 03:56 PM
ryand
dutret has a posse

Bikes: IRO Angus 53, Marinoni Special 54, LMNO Custom Road Bike, Guerciotti TT, Late 60s Bottechia Road, Univega Via Montega beater/polo/rain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are nice hubs and have some sentimental value and would be great on my Bianchi.
I hope that Bianchi has gears.
Old 12-11-06, 04:55 PM
stieg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bianchi has a 7-speed freewheel with Ultregra and Sante hardware.
Old 12-12-06, 11:34 AM
DC_Emily
Headed to the Library...

Bikes: 2003 cherry red Bianchi Giro, Quattro Assi Team 2000 Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well dude, personal preference, but I think you should lace them to some open pros and rock 'em on the road. If not, pm me and I'll put them on my Bianchi road bike!!
Old 12-12-06, 11:48 AM
goldener
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is this is ss/fg?

classic/vintage would be a better bet..
Old 12-12-06, 11:48 AM
goldener
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DC_Emily
I have low flange c-records laced to mavic open pro (recent gift). They're absolutely gorgeous.
Track? do those even exist?
Old 12-12-06, 11:59 AM
Ceya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golden graham
Track? do those even exist?

Yes they do. They have existed since the late 80s when they came out but wasn't popular for track but low flange hubs was popular for the road.

High flange is no longer made by Campy, it is only low.

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 12-12-06, 12:01 PM
goldener
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone have a pic of lowflange c-record track hubs?
Old 12-12-06, 12:30 PM
jrowe

Bikes: De Rosa Corum, custom Kalavinka, Bianchi RC Pista, Cannondale MT Track, Workcycles Gr8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.campagnolo.com/pics/PISTA-Groupset.jpg
This is the current Pista groupset, but the hubs are identical to the previous generation track gruppo, which was called C-Record, just like the Road gruppo at the time. DC-Em's hubs are NOS C-Record, but they look identical to these.

Edit:And here's the C-Record catalog pages from 1991 showing low- and high-flange track hubs. And for those of you that doubted the existence of NJS Campy, read the text from the catalog

https://www.campyonly.com/images/cata...ecordpista.jpg

Jeff

Last edited by jrowe; 12-12-06 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 12:44 PM
vobopl
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golden graham
does anyone have a pic of lowflange c-record track hubs?
yes