Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Reusing spokes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 04:52 PM
adampaiva

Bikes: Ritchey Road Logic, Pink Panther

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reusing spokes?

I bought a used wheelset which happens to be really nice but tubular and it would be oh so much more convenient if they were clincher. The spokes are also bladed and I really like the way they look. Are there any issues with reusing the spokes and nipples when I rebuild with clincher rims? Also, any recommendations for removing the tubular tires without ruining them? Anyone want a Conti sprinter tubie and Mavic tubie rims?
Old 12-13-06, 04:55 PM
DoshKel
RIP Shiznaz.

Bikes: 1983 Bianchi Eco Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring them down slowly when you unlace the wheel. Make sure they are the right size for your other build as well.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with them if they haven't been ridden at all.
Old 12-13-06, 05:02 PM
Suburbia
headed for mtb country

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'd avoid it. because it is a used wheel the spokes on there have already been stressed. reusing them in a different build will stress them in most likely a different way, and they will supposedly be much weaker. while i've never seen proof of this, every builder i've worked with advocates against reusing old spokes, and i never do it for customers either. try and find some new bladed spokes. there are plenty available.
Old 12-13-06, 05:02 PM
mihlbach

Liked 128 Times in 68 Posts
Go for it....about a year ago I had the rim of my rear wheel on my road bike replaced and the wheelbuilder recycled my (bladed) spokes. I've ridden several thousand miles on that wheel since with no problems.
Old 12-13-06, 05:06 PM
Fixxxie
Strange As Angels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done it a bunch of times without problems. As long as they haven't been chewed up by chain or rocks or something they should be ok.
Old 12-13-06, 05:07 PM
mihlbach

Liked 128 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Suburbia
i'd avoid it. because it is a used wheel the spokes on there have already been stressed. reusing them in a different build will stress them in most likely a different way, and they will supposedly be much weaker. while i've never seen proof of this, every builder i've worked with advocates against reusing old spokes, and i never do it for customers either. try and find some new bladed spokes. there are plenty available.
I could be wrong, but I don't see how the spokes will be stressed differently with a different rim...the spokes are under tension regarless of what rim you are using. Moreover, I don't think rebuilding the wheel with a new rim will weaken the spokes. When you rebuild a wheel with a new rim, all you are essentially doing to the spoke itself is detensioning it and retensioning it. This happens thousands of times over and over when you ride the bike.
Old 12-13-06, 05:10 PM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/reusing-spokes.html
Old 12-13-06, 05:21 PM
Analog
Bike fiend.

Bikes: Giant STP SS, Trek 400 (Fixed), 1970's Orion, Huffy Flatbed BMX, Vintage Huffy Kids Cruzer, Vintage Sears Cruiser, Trek Prototype Frame (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just make sure the rims have the same E.R.D.
From what I hear, the wrong way to reuse spokes is to lace them to a different hub, because the part of a spoke that fails is the elbow, and the spokes will have already conformed to the first hub. But if you just lace up a new rim to the old hub, you should be fine.
Old 12-13-06, 06:12 PM
Learn_not2burn
Biggity-bam

Bikes: Pista Concept, Fetish beater, Fuji road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, you can reuse spokes.
Old 12-13-06, 07:04 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
+1

->

Old 12-13-06, 07:44 PM
coelcanth
hunter, gatherer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when you are removing the tubulars, just roll them off carefully so as not to tear the base tape..
i think that's pretty much all that could go wrong

sometimes it helps to sortof cut the glue with a tire lever
Old 12-13-06, 08:04 PM
Landgolier
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Totally fine, just keep in mind that when you use oddball spokes you didn't buy yourself you can have a ***** of a time finding replacements. I'd also make sure I had some new nipples on hand in case one or two don't make it.
Old 12-13-06, 08:36 PM
jacobpriest
shadybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holla at me about the tubulars if they are 32 hole....
Old 12-14-06, 01:08 AM
vobopl
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I could be wrong, but I don't see how the spokes will be stressed differently with a different rim...the spokes are under tension regarless of what rim you are using. Moreover, I don't think rebuilding the wheel with a new rim will weaken the spokes. When you rebuild a wheel with a new rim, all you are essentially doing to the spoke itself is detensioning it and retensioning it. This happens thousands of times over and over when you ride the bike.
They are differences, especially with aero rims, also different cross patteren=differed bends and kinks in the spokes.
Having said that, and having a weakness for shamal rims I have swapped spokes alot before arriving at my current sets: a road one with 16h machined rear and 12h front laced to HPW hubs and a FG one with Mack hub laced to 16h track rim (used to be a front) and a Record track front hub laced to 16h machined road rim which was used in the rear in its previous life. No problems yet.
Old 12-14-06, 01:45 PM
adampaiva

Bikes: Ritchey Road Logic, Pink Panther

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sheldon knows alll...should have known. so in removing the tubular tires, i just lever them off. I don't have to do anything to break down the glue?