Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Where do you start your tours?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Where do you start your tours?
I start my tour from home
50.00%
I use some other method of transportation to get to the start of my tours
50.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 02:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 601 Times in 332 Posts

I'm curious ...

Where do you start most of your tours? Do you start your tours from home? Or do you fly, drive, take a train or bus, or use some other method of transportion to get to the start of your tours? In other words, are your tours usually local, or are they far enough away to require alternate transportation to get there.
Old 01-03-07, 02:32 PM
rnagaoka

Bikes: 1984 Raleigh Kodiak Touring, 1992 Scott MTB, 2004 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Machka,

I know you travel a lot to start your tours...but for me, I enjoy starting or ending at my house. Hard to describe, but rolling up to my doorstep after a long tour gives me a great feeling of accomplishment. Since I'm a "tree-hugger" kind of a guy , I like to brag that I only used my bike or Amtrak for the entire trip. Plus, I hate the hassle of flying with a bike.

Living in L.A. makes it easy, since we have the coast, mountains and desert close by. (...of course, I still dream of touring Asia and Europe.)
Old 01-03-07, 02:47 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I hate travelling by any means that I am not doing the 'driving' and I especially hate packing up and shipping or checking my bikes, so all of my tours have started from home...and they usually end there too, sooner or later. I guess if I am ever going to tour outside of the US or Canada I might have to rethink my position.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-03-07, 02:48 PM
lighthorse@eart
Florida to Oregon in 2007

Bikes: LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the question that I am pondering for my next ride. I prefer to fly out and ride home. Somehow it feels good to know that every pedal is closer to home. And that is the way that I did the southern tier.

Next year I am going to do the west half of the transam and then a route from Missouri to home in Florida. The more I look at the route, time involved, and the seasons, I am now considering beginning from Florida and heading northwest. I will be able to begin earlier in the year and ride the hottest sections earlier in the season. What I don't like about this option is the fact that at some point I will have to purchase an airline ticket which commits me to a specific day to be on the west coast to fly home. I much prefer to not be tied down to a fixed schedule like that.
Anyway, those are the considerations that I am looking at right now.
Old 01-03-07, 04:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,537 Times in 2,522 Posts
I use one-way rental cars to get me to the start of a tour and to get home. It's less expensive and less of a hassle than flying and I've ridden all over near home so I'm not interested in starting from my front door. National Car Rental is the easiest and cheapest to use for the rental, by the way. If you are willing to drive like a complete idiot (not fast, just long ) you can even get home from very far away in one day which saves lots of money And, yes, you can drive from Portland OR to Denver in less than 24 hours...about 15 minutes less...but it's still less than 24 hours.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-03-07, 04:48 PM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lighthorse@eart
Somehow it feels good to know that every pedal is closer to home.
Interesting, I'm the opposite, I like riding into the unkown.

Originally Posted by lighthorse@eart
What I don't like about this option is the fact that at some point I will have to purchase an airline ticket which commits me to a specific day to be on the west coast to fly home. I much prefer to not be tied down to a fixed schedule like that.
Agree - but you don't have to purchase a ticket until the last minute. For the few hundred dollars you save for an advance ticket, you can buy yourself a lot of flexibility. There are a lot of one-week advance tix that aren't that expensive.

I like winging it. On my XC trip, I didn't have a return ticket, and ended up getting offered a ride back home.

Also, check websites like craisglist for rideshares, and i think there are car delivery services too (where you deliver someone else's car).

It's pretty easy to be flexible as long as you are not going super far away / international.

I have done one trip leaving out my front door, but usually travel to the start - air mostly, bus a couple of times (yuck), car once. For the returns, I have flown, gotten a one-way rental car, gotten a ride, and cycled home.

I miss touring!
Old 01-03-07, 06:56 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I mostly start somewhere else--but there is a special thrill in wheeling out of the driveway and off into the unknown.
Old 01-03-07, 07:00 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
I mostly start somewhere else--but there is a special thrill in wheeling out of the driveway and off into the unknown.
Not to mention the ease of turning around a half dozen times in the first 20 minutes to get something you forgot.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 01-03-07, 07:00 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I've done some tours out-my-front-door and back; but i usually fly and ride back. I fly to the west coast and ride back east; have the wind and sun at my back during the meanest part of the day. I started my world tour by flying to Alaska.

roughstuff
Old 01-03-07, 07:06 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Liked 2,923 Times in 1,225 Posts
I've ridden from my front door and flown back, I've flown both ways (hard to ride in France any other way when you live in California ), been driven to the start and ridden home (by a very circuitous route), and been driven to the start and from the end. As a practical matter, hwo I get to and from the tour route is secondary to where I want to go.
Old 01-03-07, 08:10 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Bikes: Trek 920 Fashioned into a Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What distance do you have to pass for your ride to be classified as a tour? 200 miles, 300 miles? 2 days, 3 days, a week?
Old 01-03-07, 08:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by DavidARayJaxNC
What distance do you have to pass for your ride to be classified as a tour? 200 miles, 300 miles? 2 days, 3 days, a week?
Overnight.

In otherwords ...

Day 1: ride whatever distance you want to ride
Night 1: stay overnight somewhere away from home (in a hotel, campground, whatever)
Day 2: ride whatever distance you want to ride (home, on to another hotel/campground/whatever)

Congratulations ... you've now done a tour!
Old 01-03-07, 08:21 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Bikes: Trek 920 Fashioned into a Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its just that most people around here talk about week long rides. No body brags about the 2 day trip they took.
Old 01-03-07, 08:26 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by DavidARayJaxNC
Its just that most people around here talk about week long rides. No body brags about the 2 day trip they took.
Nobody??? Have a look:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=231518
Old 01-03-07, 08:58 PM
cyklehike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've started most of my tours from home, but its getting a kinda old because I usually head east out the same highway and I've cycled the first 200 miles over a dozen times now. I don't mind the ride as much as the more times I ride it the more paranoid I get about the traffic and the first highway can be a little hairy. But I'll continue to do it because I like to roll out my driveway and finish at the porch, anticipating the cold beer I left in the fridge .

But, I have driven to start sites and left my truck--works good on loops. I might try cyco's rent a car one way deal--smart.
Old 01-04-07, 05:23 AM
JoeLonghair

Bikes: Thorn Club Thorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always start from home, even if it is to ride to the airport or train station, the journey starts at home and also ends there.
Old 01-04-07, 06:12 AM
jurjan

Bikes: Idworx Easy Rohler (2012) / Velotraum Speedster Single Speed (2019) / Batavus Stabilo (1995, now decommisioned)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
for tours i would like to start from home, but...
if i only ever started my tours from home i would never get very far i'm afraid.
plus you would be doing the same old roads for the umpteenth time
(especially since i'm using those roads for weekend trips etc. as well).
Old 01-04-07, 10:08 AM
dbuzi123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my pacific coast trip I got a ride up to San Fran, then rode home. It was nice riding home because you didn't have to worry about making a plane or anything. We were feeling a little tired and split up a longish day into two days and it was no problem at all. The flexibility was nice to have.

There are only so many places you can ride to around here though so I'm sure future tours will start and end away from home.
Old 01-04-07, 10:40 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Overnight.

In otherwords ...

Day 1: ride whatever distance you want to ride
Night 1: stay overnight somewhere away from home (in a hotel, campground, whatever)
Day 2: ride whatever distance you want to ride (home, on to another hotel/campground/whatever)

Congratulations ... you've now done a tour!
I'm not sure I agree with the overnight requirement. I've always liked Ken Kifer's definition:
https://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/touring.htm

"A tour is a trip from one place to another, and touring also implies travel as a form of exploration. Touring cyclists, then, are people who wish to explore the world around them via bicycle. However, just as a tour does not have to explore remote areas to be enjoyable, the trip does not have to last more than a few hours to qualify. Usually, touring consists of riding out in the countryside for the purpose of enjoying Nature."

"A ride of a few miles on a quiet rural road in the evening or on the weekend can be considered a touring trip, if the focus is on enjoying the outdoors and the sights along the way."
Old 01-04-07, 11:40 AM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
For OUR purposes, a tour is an overnighter at least. Otherwise we'd have the roadie and MTB lot all over us in droves claiming they are touring cyclists!
Old 01-04-07, 12:21 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Liked 2,923 Times in 1,225 Posts
Naaaah, "touring" is a dirty word to most of those poor, benighted folks.
Old 01-04-07, 12:27 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Commuting - going to work.
Touring - cruising along with no particular place to go...

Touring implies for me that the trip itself is the point, not how fast or how far you went.
Old 01-04-07, 09:53 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Let me ask a question about the poll before I vote.

If I ride to the airport, or to the train station to meet my connection to wherever it is I'm going, does that count as starting from home?

This is basically how most of my tours start.

That is all.
Old 01-05-07, 05:54 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
Commuting - going to work.
Touring - cruising along with no particular place to go...

Touring implies for me that the trip itself is the point, not how fast or how far you went.
I agree with most of the definitions...
But to me:
Commuting - riding to and from work
Utility-grocery store, running errands, etc.
Ramble- get on the bike and just ride with no particular destination in mind, or perhaps a general destination but willing to get side tracked
Touring-at least one overnight

As far as starting tours...yes. I have started tours from my front door, I have flown 2500 miles to start a tour, I have had people drive and drop me off to start tours, I have taken a bus (never again) to start tours, I have rented one way cars to start tours, I have driven parked the car and done a circle tour. To me the best ones were the start at home ones and having some one drop me off.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-05-07, 08:10 AM
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to the Cycle Touring Club they tour anywhere from 35 miles, Sunday rides and midweek. and they have been around for 125 years.
Cycle Touring to me is a state of mind, like wahoonc's ramble, I call touring.

from wiki
Bicycle touring is a type of travel or leisure activity which involves touring, exploration or sightseeing a region by bicycle. .....snip ........ it is done for enjoyment and travel rather than sport and, as such, is a little bit like backpacking with the use of a bicycle.
but I find the poll cannot be answered unless both boxes are ticked:-

I am somewhat confused as to the terminology now.

Some tours start ( definition ) from home ( definition ).

Some need alternative transport ( definition)

maybe the poll needs to be reworded in order for the question to be answered.

What information do you wish to gather from the poll?

It has over 280 views and yet only 32 votes, maybe others feel the same way.

just an opinion

george