Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

More riders in my group endorse Toasty Feet

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 09:51 PM
dekindy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am a new winter rider so I wanted to get more veteran opinions before I posted. I wore the Toasty Feet and thought they helped keep my feet warm on an evening when my feet would have been cold.

Two veteran cold weather riders got them for Christmas and tried them for the first time last night. They were impressed and told other riders in the group to get them. One of the riders put chemical warmers also and his feet got hot to the point of extreme discomfort, almost a hot foot.

I would encourage anyone to try these before investing in something more expensive. They felt that with these inserts they could ride in much colder temperatures before needing chemical warmers.

https://www.polarwrap.com/index.html
I would consult their dealer locater for Toasty Feet and call and verify they have them before making a special trip.
Old 01-04-07, 07:55 AM
GiantDave

Bikes: Giant OCR Touring/Schwinn Moab3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link--that warm air mask looks interesting.
'01 Giant Yukon
I choose the way to go, but the road won't set me free
Old 01-04-07, 09:30 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I put a set in my clipless shoes. They made a small difference IMHO. However, I am still unable to keep my feet warm after 1 to 1.5 hrs in sub freezing temps. My new set of wool socks made a far greater improvement. My next solution is a larger set of shoes or a set of winter clipless boots. ex: lake shoes
I've also used booties and found them almost worthless.
Old 01-04-07, 09:05 PM
dekindy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
I put a set in my clipless shoes. They made a small difference IMHO. However, I am still unable to keep my feet warm after 1 to 1.5 hrs in sub freezing temps. My new set of wool socks made a far greater improvement. My next solution is a larger set of shoes or a set of winter clipless boots. ex: lake shoes
Have you tried chemical warmer packs? A lot of people recommend the hand size as being plenty big. Riders in my group swear by them. And they obviously work great with the Toasty Feet.

If you use them, be sure to open them in advance and shake them and verify that they activate.
Old 01-06-07, 04:34 AM
G. Hoffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie

Get the boots.

This is my first winter riding, but I got a pair of Answer Kashmirs (basically a rip off of the Lake, but quite a lot cheaper), and my feet haven't been cold once since I bought them. Now, granted that our winter has not been all that cold yet, and the coldest I've had to ride in was about 17 degrees F, but I typically have cold feet just sitting around, so for me to have warm feet while riding is VERY cool, at least to me.

Of course, I ride in a leather jacket (it breaths like skin - since it IS skin - it is warm, wind proof, and water proof. The only problem is it's a bit heavy, but it works for me), so you might want to take what I say with a big grain of salt. Maybe even a block of salt.

Gabriel
Old 01-06-07, 10:16 AM
DataJunkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do not want the chemical warmers. I think it would be a bit too expensive to use everyday on my commute. I may spring for the boots but with my long commute and our recent snows I am taking the short route, if at all. My current setup is fine for 60-90 minutes. Plenty of time to make it to the train or bus.
Old 01-08-07, 07:19 AM
kokomo61

Bikes: Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
I got a pair of Toasty Feet a couple days ago, but it's been too warm to use them....As it gets colder, I'll be testing out some combinations and see about posting the results. I've got:

Performance road shoes (Look cleats - slippery as heck) - don't want to wear them by themselves below 45 degrees.
Lake Road shoes (better soles for walking - in the mail - not received yet)
Lake MTB shoes (SPD cleats) - good to about 40.
Pearl Izumi AmFib road covers - worn at 28 with the road shoes, but still pretty cold - also, they've started shredding around the cleats after only 6 weeks or so......
Gator neoprene MTB covers - worn down to 28, not as cold as the road shoes.
ToastyFeet inserts - not tested yet.
Pearl Izumi 'normal' cycling socks
SmartWool socks
Wigwam ski socks
Answer Kashmir boots (in the mail - not received yet)

I should probably pick up a set of SealSkinz socks to make the test complete.....

Now, I should also do the same thing with my glove setup....my fingers have been a lot more uncomfortable than my feet.....My PI shells/polypro inserts aren't doing much for me.....
'06 Kona Jake the Snake

Old 01-11-07, 04:02 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kokomo61
I got a pair of Toasty Feet a couple days ago, but it's been too warm to use them....As it gets colder, I'll be testing out some combinations and see about posting the results. I've got:

Performance road shoes (Look cleats - slippery as heck) - don't want to wear them by themselves below 45 degrees.
Lake Road shoes (better soles for walking - in the mail - not received yet)
Lake MTB shoes (SPD cleats) - good to about 40.
Pearl Izumi AmFib road covers - worn at 28 with the road shoes, but still pretty cold - also, they've started shredding around the cleats after only 6 weeks or so......
Gator neoprene MTB covers - worn down to 28, not as cold as the road shoes.
ToastyFeet inserts - not tested yet.
Pearl Izumi 'normal' cycling socks
SmartWool socks
Wigwam ski socks
Answer Kashmir boots (in the mail - not received yet)

I should probably pick up a set of SealSkinz socks to make the test complete.....

Now, I should also do the same thing with my glove setup....my fingers have been a lot more uncomfortable than my feet.....My PI shells/polypro inserts aren't doing much for me.....
I ride through Herndon - and went with Lake winter road shoes. We should compare notes.
Old 01-12-07, 09:57 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option is platforms! Your feet stay warmer.