Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Limited Budget Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Limited Budget Touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 05:19 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Bikes: Trek 920 Fashioned into a Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EDITED!
Do I have it right? All I need to worry about when packing is:

Bike
Tent
Tools
Sleeping Bag + Sleeping Mat
Food + Water
Clothing
First Aid Kit

SOUNDS EASY TO PACK LIGHT

How easy is it to live off a stove? It sounds messy.

Last edited by DavidARayJaxNC; 01-03-07 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 07:45 PM
ernok1923
jon bon stovie

Bikes: bridgestone 400 fixed gear conversion, dawes touring bike (model unknown)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidARayJaxNC
Bike Tent
Tools Sleeping Bag
Food + Water Clothing
First Aid Kit

lay out everything that you plan on bringing so far. then weigh it. write down this number somewhere. no live off of only what you plan to bring for at least one week. set up your tent every night and sleep in your sleeping bag (you didn't pack a bed, remember?). cook on a camp stove only (unless you plan on purchasing all your meals, then be sure to go buy everything.) add in the weight of all your food and water too.

after your week goes by: did you need anything else? weigh it and add it in.

even packing light can very easily get out of control. i used this experiment at home and was amazed at how quickly the weight adds up, even though i included hardly any "creature comforts."
Old 01-04-07, 07:48 AM
Nigeyy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll give it a go:

1. when buying any cycling equipment online or offline, google for a coupon code (you'd be surprized how much money you can save). Obviously look for sales. Nashbar can be much maligned, but they do have some good stuff cheap. Before you buy any cycle related stuff, checkout bestbikebuys.com or qbike.com for a simple check.

2. As someone else posted, get to be knowledgeable about your bike to save maintenance costs. Unfortunately this isn't as easy as it sounds because you will need to invest in some good tools and a book or similar. However, if you need some work done at your bike store, balance this against the cost of doing it yourself plus the cost of tools. You might be surprized how quickly you can recoup costs.

3. clothing -I don't like what and how Walmart does things, but you will almost certainly find some very cheap coolmax tops there.

4. Craigslist can be your friend (if you only look locally you can save on shipping costs plus find bargains -the downside is that people on craigslist in my experience tend to be remarkably unreliable) -sometimes (but it seems rarely now) Ebay can help too. If you do not have a touring bike already, you may be able to find an older model mtb very cheaply. I've seen Trek 930's -they can make great touring machines -for less than $150 in apparently great condition. I've often seen panniers cheap too.

5. Food -oatmeal, raisins, bananas are all pretty cheap. I'd be tempted to buy fresh fruit and vegetables as much as possible, but of course this can only really be done if you are at the end of the day and near a store as opposed to lugging around 10lbs of potatoes in your pannier bags all day long. As other people have mentioned, pulses, beans, etc are good as well. I've used rice mixes as well (got to be careful, some aren't that great though). I'm a vegetarian, and soy based products are great for protein. I've never carried eggs as I try to eat less eggs rather than more, but I'd think they would be a great idea as well, particularly for breakfast. For just pure calories, Ramen noodles are very cheap as well. Another thought: I've not done it, but I would think a potato chopped up into a soup mix could be very filling as well as incredibly cheap too. Downside would have to be the cooking time before hand, but I'd guess if you chopped the potato up relatively finely, that could be mitigated, but I'd think it would still be messy ( I might try this on my next tour if I make a vegetable stew!). Just had another thought -what about instant mashed potato mix? Not the greatest tasting but would be quick and filling. My personal favourite by far: if I was in the UK, I'd *heartily* recommend BeanFeasts, but I don't know of similar stuff over in the USA.

Good luck and pass on what works for you in the tips section!

Originally Posted by Jay_Polisak
I'm looking for ideas of how to cut down the costs of touring, specifically on food, but anything else too. I'm pretty sure i'll do some stealth camping to save money, but anything else that you think would help, i'm up for, even if the food is bad .

Thanks;
Jay Polisak
Old 01-04-07, 11:32 AM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigeyy
Another thought: I've not done it, but I would think a potato chopped up into a soup mix could be very filling as well as incredibly cheap too. Downside would have to be the cooking time before hand, but I'd guess if you chopped the potato up relatively finely, that could be mitigated, but I'd think it would still be messy ( I might try this on my next tour if I make a vegetable stew!).
Potatoes are a much-forgotten staple that do indeed fill out a stew. Sliced thinly, they can be used to thicken a stew because they cook quickly and start to break down so the starch does its bit with the hot liquid. I generally buy one or two of the smallest potatoes on display per person per meal -- one of the advantages buying unpackaged. They also keep pretty well. Same with carrots. I am not so keen on instant mashed potato, however... I could never really take to the taste.
Old 01-04-07, 01:36 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what is a good lightweight stove and pot for cooking stews on camping. Is it as messy as I think it is?
Old 01-04-07, 01:47 PM
Rowan

Hehehehe... you've heard of Brooks versus the rest, Campy versus Shimano, bike paths versus vehicular cycling? Try cooking versis non-cooking, and gas versus propane versus meths as the new debates in cycling!!

And N-o-o-o-o-o.... cooking in camp is not messy at all. I mean, how messy do you get at home when cooking?

I'll sort of dip out on this one... but guys, please don't make me post again pictures of the pancake and beef-and-veggie stew all cooked on a Trangia!!
Old 01-04-07, 03:27 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i know that when I goto the field an dI try to cook my own food, the pot never gets clean... you have to tow around detergent, a scrubber... is it worth it?
Old 01-04-07, 03:33 PM
Nigeyy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an MSR Whisperlite/Internationale (can't remember exact model). It can run on almost any kind of fuel, though in hindsight I've always had access to white gas so perhaps it was a bit of overkill. Anyway, it's handy to know that I can run it on gasoline in an emergency. It's small, light weight and perfect for what I want. I have a pot collection (I think it's an official MSR one, though they are made in Thailand strangely) that packs up like those Russian dolls, with the stove being able to easily fit inside the smallest pot. Since I once had a bad experience with "waterproof" matches that weren't, I've since always carried a Zippo lighter with the stove, knowing I should be able to get a light of some kind, and sure enough it's never failed.

Is it messy? Well yes it is, particularly if you forget to bring a scouring pad or some kind of soap and don't have good access to water. I know people say you can use sand to clean a pan, but luckily I've never had to do that. Pretty much the problem (at least for my setup) is that I'm limited to just one cooking heat source and 2-3 pans, so you really have to be efficient or smush up all your food together (which depending on how far you've cycled or how hungry you are can be distinctly unappetizing). The lack of pots and multiple heatsources can cause you to rethink your planned food. I love cooked separated vegetables and gravy for example, but I just can't see myself doing that given the aggravation involved.

Lastly, cutlery can be easy -I just take a spoon from my cutlery drawer at home -no plastic utensils for fear of melting them. The handle can double as a knife for spreading stuff, and I don't usually have foods that require severe cutting anyway. Perhaps a spatula for flipping eggs would be nice (though I've never done eggs yet on the stove).

You can try Campmor.com for camping stoves, and if you were really resourceful perhaps you could even use a campfire rather than a stove, but that sounds much more romantic than practical in my opinion (yeah, that would work after a couple of days rain!). I'd guess that small firestarters could also suffice, but again, I wonder how really easy they are, and in any case you'd probably spend as much in firestarters as a good stove sooner or later anyway. My best guess is to get a good quality stove. I'd recommend the MSR line as mine seems pretty good.

what is a good lightweight stove and pot for cooking stews on camping. Is it as messy as I think it is?
Old 01-04-07, 04:03 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The MOST expensive part of touring (I'm talking, long, cross-country types) is the lost income from not working for months. If you have a mortgage to pay, that really hits you.

So...... in the planning phase of the trip, remember to reduce your income tax withholding. Your income for that year will be much less, so your overall tax burden is also less. Better to bank that money before the trip in savings than to get a big refund well after you are back from the trip.

The most expensive parts of the actual tour are; food, lodging and transportation to and from the start / finish points;

Food has been really well covered so far and Losligato addressed cycling in cheaper parts of the world (But expensive to travel to). Although no one mentioned the old trick of buying a bag of frozen veggies and some meat (or your favorite perishable protein source) at what ever grocery that is available during the day. Wrap them together in a towel and they will keep all day till dinner.

Lodging is a big variable, parks in California are $3.00, in parts of Michigan they run over $30.00, stealth is free for the most part (If you like hiding in the woods sitting on the ground, (sorry stealthers, just my opinion there)) Try to budget for a couple motel nights when weather gets really bad.

Start and / or finish your tour from home or at a friends house that is willing to drive you home, that's the only way I can think of to really lower travel costs.
Old 01-05-07, 10:36 AM
RiotBoi
bificurated

Bikes: Cannondale 3.0 Criterium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you look on the last page of the tips and tricks thread I've linked to a book that is ALL about the cheap and varied cook for backpacking, which is even easier on a bike cuz you can carry more. Enjoy.
Old 01-05-07, 11:13 AM
David in PA

Bikes: Cannondale C400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
And almost twice the price per weight than the canned version..

The oil packed canned tuna variety adds calories.

Beans are a cheap source of protein.
You can get foil-packed tuna for only $.96 at Walmart Supercenters.
Old 01-05-07, 02:02 PM
MarkCoatsworth

Bikes: Renegade Midnite 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you really want to save some money and don't mind getting your hands dirty... go dumpster diving! My friend Ida rode across Canada in 2002 and spent barely any money on food the whole way. Her daily budget was $3. Of course, in the best interest of staying healthy, you could combine this with some store-bought food get the needed protein, iron, fibre, etc.
Old 01-05-07, 02:05 PM
BostonFixed
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by David in PA
You can get foil-packed tuna for only $.96 at Walmart Supercenters.
How much do the cans cost? $.50?
Old 01-05-07, 08:51 PM
Rowan

well i know that when I goto the field an dI try to cook my own food, the pot never gets clean... you have to tow around detergent, a scrubber... is it worth it?
You need to improve your cooking routines and heat control.

I tote around a small stainless steel scourer, but rarely use it these days because my cooking doesn't allow food to catch on the bottom of pots, I always use margarine (or olive oil) on pots before cooking anything that requires searing (plus it is integral to thickening), and I put water straight into the pot to keep scrapings moist and easier to remove.

Plus I wash as soon as the meal is done, rather than leaving it till later when the scrapings have hardened. And the wash can range from a wipeout with a paper towel (I carry a few packs of facial tissures) to swishing a small amount of water and using my fingers. I don't even use detergent these days.

If you are short of a scourer, use sand or fine dirt to scour, then rinse off.
Old 01-05-07, 09:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Sand works.
Old 01-05-07, 09:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
EDITED!

Bike
Tent
Tools
Food + Water
Clothing
First Aid Kit

Yeah .... you've got the basic categories there.

Now for some detail under those categories: https://www.machka.net/packinglist.htm
Old 01-06-07, 03:03 AM
wheel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
National Forrests have free dispersed camping.
Blm land is Free in AZ CA
If on the interstate try some stealth camping hard to argue you not being on the road at night time.
Ask people to sleep in their backyard.
I heard cemeteries on here.

No campfires
dired fruit can you say apricots
Trail mix My last one had raisins, cranberries, raspberries, almonds,sunflowers, choclate chip, soy nuts, penauts, apples.
bagels or tortillas err bread
cereral bars
Use c rations fuel tablets to warm water for me
Those microwave precooked meals easy to open which can be used as spoon eat cold though. Plus know you have a bowl.
Buy soup or something at the gas station and microwave.
Ask people at random if they are cooking dinner.

Campfires
Potatoes I just throw umm in by the fire.
Pop can to heat water
eat with a branch
Hot dogs
starter tablets in case of wet wood.
eat from a plastic bag for a plate or bowl ( you just dig a bowl/plate shape in the ground and double cover)
You should not try to save money on food. This what keeps you going.
Plus you can use the reciept for toliet paper

I would thow out Tent, pad, eating untesils, stoves, dishes
You might want to add cell phone, rain gear, personal stuff, a trap and twine or hammock,
Old 01-06-07, 08:03 AM
!!Comatoa$ted
Senor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the best way to tour is the cheapest way as well. This means you get to be self-sufficient and don't rely on anybody but yourself.

For food I always carry flat-breads, peanut butter, and dates that I can eat while I am on the road. When I get into camp I like to start a cooking fire, yeah I know it may give your location away, but it means not having to carry a stove and fuel, or at least minimising the amount of fuel carried.

I buy my food as I go, at grocery stores and the like. I buy dried packaged pasta sauces, summer sausage (the type that does not need refrigeration), and spaghetti or some other type of pasta that does not contain large air spaces. Then in camp I can make a massive spaghetti dinner with the summer sausage added in to make a meat sauce. If you are camping close to town you can buy yourself a fancier supper.

The bonus of an open fire is that you can always have a pot of water heating. With this you can have warm water to wash yourself before bed, or boil something up if you get hungry later, unless you decided to wash yourself with the water.

For me stealth camping is the best choice, of course the open fire will give you away, but around here I am not worried about visitors.

Have any of you tried the wood burning stoves like the Zip, or Stratus stove? This seems like a great way to cook but not have to carry fuel with you. Once you buy the stove all you would need is the AA battery, I imagine that this would be cheaper and easier than carrying the fuel with you. As well, the waste created by a dead battery is smaller than that of a fuel canister, which could be reduced to almost zero by carrying rechargeables.
Old 01-06-07, 08:37 AM
ryanparrish
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GORP and Bagels is a good way to non cook and summer sausage. If you check out freezerbagcooking.com they will have a lot of reciepes to pack with you mountainhouse has freeze dried food that is usually tasty. The tent and sleeping bag is easy but it can also be difficult on the budget especially if you want to go UL. Also make sure to bring comfort items like say a travel pillow. The reason being if you can convince your self to stay out in the "brush" instead of a hostel or hotel will help you. I belive you can find some stuff on sourcetosea.com about traveling inexpencively. Also if you are rocking gears I would wouldn't hesitate bringing a teinsoner. It might not be a good UL item to bring and the idea of gears going screwy to the point you cant use them is extremley low on the road I would bring it because the consequences of a completely non function derailer are horrible. Make sure to bring lubes for the body and the bike because both can be prone to chafing. Golite.com has some UL tents and sleeping bags if you are traveling in a summer location that is prone to being hot I wouldn't hesitate and just bring a fleece liner thats about it matchka has some good lists to look at
Old 01-07-07, 09:42 PM
MrPolak
Just ride it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two words... POLSKA KIELBASA!

Two more ... BACON! The salted-slab kind, not the sliced kind.

Mix it up with ramen noodles and you have a cheap meal.

Just don't eat too much or it will clog your arteries before you end the tour, but remember that fat is a dense source of energy.

And... don't forget the fiber: BEANZ!
Old 01-08-07, 10:12 AM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkCoatsworth
If you really want to save some money and don't mind getting your hands dirty... go dumpster diving! My friend Ida rode across Canada in 2002 and spent barely any money on food the whole way. Her daily budget was $3. Of course, in the best interest of staying healthy, you could combine this with some store-bought food get the needed protein, iron, fibre, etc.
https://www.supertopo.com/climbing/th...opic_id=303547
https://spectrum.troy.edu/~grgill/On_Dumpster_Diving.htm
Old 01-08-07, 03:16 PM
theacox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to the dollar store today to scope out what could be done while on touring. I was really surprised. Several kinds of sardines, tuna and salmon. Salmon was around $1.50/lb can, tuna around $.50 and such. Sardines and chicken in cans were similar.

Combine that with 10 packs of ramen for a $1, pasta for $.50 a box, some vegetables, spices and such. Not bad.

Tim
Old 01-08-07, 03:57 PM
gqsmoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A great way to cut on food costs is to dumpster dive. I know, initially many/most people automatically recoil in disgust at the thought of getting food out of a dumpster. However, the results can be astounding. I don't know where you're touring. If it's in the southeast US I would highly recommend Food Lion stores. Most other stores in the southeast have compactors making the food inaccessible.
Many of the regular items that you can find in a grocery store dumpster are: bananas, lettuce (all types usually), peppers, oranges, and bread (hit up bakeries as well). The occassional finds consist of: damaged canned goods, boxes of cereal, pasta, and candy. I often see meat in dumpsters, I'm vegan so I don't take it. Even when I did it meat and dairy products I never took the meat and very rarely would I take the dairy products. (Unless it was blocks of cheese!).

please feel free to PM me if you have more questions, I'd love to help.
Old 01-08-07, 04:37 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
A big cost drain while touring are gas/convenience stores. Drink enough cold drinks and eat enough candy bars from them and it will drain your wallet dry. If you drink powered drinks to mix with your water, make them half-strength. Avoiding restaurants will save you a boatload of dough also. Loaf of bread is 2,000 calories and cost under a buck. For a buck, you can buy a pound of Fig newtons or cookies at the Dollar store... 1,600 calories.. For protein, buy a pound of bologna at Walmart for under a $1. Buy a buck worth of bananas. That's nearly 6,000 calories for 4 dollars.

I also recommend a mini tour before the big one if you have never toured before. That way you can test out your equipment/food to find out what you want... or don't want. You should also practice at least once setting up your tent/gear in the rain.

EDITED!

Bike
Tent
Tools
Food + Water
Clothing
First Aid Kit

Add:

Flashlight - get a headlamp that doubles into this or a lightweight LCD headlamp
Cooking gear - you can always eat straight from the can cold if you don't want to carry this.
Can opener/spoon/fork/ - you can always borrow some plastic forks and spoons from conv stores
knife
duct tape (trust me, you'll want it, wrap it around your water bottle to save space)
A QUALITY air pump (don't skimp on this)
Batteries for anything you need.
Radio - either AM/FM or Weather radio (preferred, YOU WILL want to know the weather)
Maps or alternative like a GPS
Toilet paper...
If you shave... add those items
a towel
Extra tubes
Sunblock and lipbalm

They are now making wind up LCD flashlight/AM/FM radio combos that take no batteries.
Old 02-06-07, 10:30 PM
wheelin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all contributors. I don't cook on cycle tour, but the stuffs on this thread make enjoyable reading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.