Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is a good Indoor Trainer ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 07:21 PM
jnlabay

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200, GT Aggressor Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for a Indoor Trainer to ride when the weather is bad and when its to late to ride at night because it can get pretty dangerous here at nice to ride. I am new to trainers and I am trying to stay away from rollers for now but might try those laters. I would like some advice on what kind to get it but I am trying to stay below $200.oo Total Thanks for the advice...
Old 01-04-07, 08:01 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure how long the cold or dark keeps you from cycling outside but I'll just share what I've learned from my own experience. Skip the fluid trainer and get a set of rollers. Much more fun then a fluid trainer.
Performance alloy rollers, $129.95
Old 01-04-07, 08:02 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I can not ride rollers. Get rollers if you like the joy of broken collar bones without having to go outside. I like my cycleops magnetic trainer.
Old 01-04-07, 08:03 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I had rollers for a while and switched to a trainer so I could zone out a little while riding indoors. The Cycleops Fluid2 is a great unit, and CycleOps/Saris customer service is top-notch. If you search the forum I had a thread a while back about my customer service experience with them.
Old 01-04-07, 08:44 PM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use both rollers and a trainer. I bought the Kurt Kinetic and think it's about the best around. It's also "leak-proof", as no seals to leak. Each as it's place. I use the trainer for intervals and building muscle, and the rollers for form and cardio.
Old 01-04-07, 08:52 PM
branman1986
Eternal Cat3 Rookie

Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR2 Composite & 2006 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I had rollers for a while and switched to a trainer so I could zone out a little while riding indoors.
+1 I'm fine on rollers until my mind starts wandering a bit, then I break furniture.
Old 01-04-07, 10:11 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had rollers for a while and switched to a trainer so I could zone out a little while riding indoors. The Cyclops Fluid is a great unit, and CycleOps/Saris customer service is top-notch. If you search the forum I had a thread a while back about my customer service experience with them.
I have the opposite problem, my mind starts to wonder on a fluid trainer and have a tough time staying on the thing for more then a half hour.
Old 01-04-07, 10:28 PM
Scooped

Bikes: Guru new steel Lotus converted fixed Jamis sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the cycleops fluid2. last year it was making a weird noise after it gotr warmed up and told me to send the head back and sent me a new one the next week
Old 01-04-07, 10:51 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any tricks or hints on the Fluid² trainer Pete? Wife got me one from aound town but I returned it to get a new 07 from ebay since the deals are good and come with lots of extra goodies. Wondering how bad the thing burns through tires. Was thinking of buying some budget rear wheel and a dedicated tire. I saw the Conti tire made for trainers.
Old 01-05-07, 10:37 AM
pilrider

Bikes: Cannondale R700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kurt kinetic pro & Rock N Roll?

Has anyone tried the Kurt Kinetic Rock N Roll Pro trainer? I'm seriously considering a Kurt Kinetic trainer and I see they have a new model called th Rock N Roll which apparently allows for side to side motion also. How well does it work? What are advantages/disadvantages to this type of trainer?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-07, 11:40 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by EricDJ
Any tricks or hints on the Fluid² trainer Pete? Wife got me one from aound town but I returned it to get a new 07 from ebay since the deals are good and come with lots of extra goodies. Wondering how bad the thing burns through tires. Was thinking of buying some budget rear wheel and a dedicated tire. I saw the Conti tire made for trainers.

I'd guestimate that the tire wear with a Fluid2 trainer is about twice that of on the road. If your riding the trainer a lot during the winter a cheap rear tire might be worthwhile. Personally I don't bother. Probably costs me a few dollars, but one less hassle.
Old 01-05-07, 12:30 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've had really good luck with my usual training tire, the Michelin Krylion Carbon. The Fluid2 doesn't seem to burn through those too badly at all, and it saves me the headache of switching between outdoor/indoor days. I just leave the CycleOps skewer on the bike and slap it in the trainer when I need it.
Old 01-05-07, 12:32 PM
bbp
hooray for spring

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Fluid2 trainer. Selling mine now since I got a better trainer but it is great for its price.
Old 01-05-07, 12:40 PM
matthew_deaner

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also have a fluid 2. Got it on e-bay for 229 shipped. It's quiet, has a very road-like resistance feel. Comes with a Carmichael time trial video. You can't beat it for the price.
Old 01-05-07, 12:45 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I've had really good luck with my usual training tire, the Michelin Krylion Carbon. The Fluid2 doesn't seem to burn through those too badly at all, and it saves me the headache of switching between outdoor/indoor days. I just leave the CycleOps skewer on the bike and slap it in the trainer when I need it.

My Blackburn Ultra trainer destroyed my Carbon tire. Chunks of rubber all over the floor, the smell of burnt tire in the air. That was after one hour.

At least now I can go buy some Michelin ProRace 2 tires for the road. And a dedicated trainer tire.

Other than destroying the tire, I enjoyed my time on the trainer. Smooth, quieter than the cycleops at the LBS, and watching "Hell on Wheels" helped, too. I found myself "sprinting" along with the riders on the screen. You know those riders had made it to the big time when you see the trainer getting their shorts ready by rubbing in the chamois butter.

Last edited by bbattle; 01-05-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-05-07, 12:47 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
>>What is a good Indoor Trainer <<

Excellent for clogging up attics.
Old 01-05-07, 02:00 PM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the same thing with my trainer. The old wheels and tires are now what I switch out to use the trainer so no wear on my actual roadie tires. I even bought a cassette for the trainer wheels so no having to exhange that as well.
Old 01-05-07, 06:32 PM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
CycleOps Magneto