Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front Rack Questions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Front Rack Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 07:53 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Bikes: Trek 920 Fashioned into a Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front Rack Questions

My 920 fork has a hold on either side near the axel mount. It also has a hole at the top of the wheel, for fenders, at least that is where I put the fenders. What kind of dront rack do I need to look for? Does anyone have a similar problem?
Old 01-06-07, 08:12 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at the NASHBAR front rack that mounts to my v-Brake bolts. Has anyone used this?
I also need one with an enclose top, so I could mount my tent there If I need to, I do not plan on using panniers on the rack.
Old 01-06-07, 08:47 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old Man Mountain attaches to the brake studs. You can slide the wheel skewers through the bottom mounts or you can screw them to the threaded holes in the dropouts. The top plate is solid. These were the first racks that could be used with suspension. I have a rear one and it is very good. I've used it on the back of a dual suspension mountain bike.
I think it is safer using the skewers. If you think about it theres a lot depending on those tiny screws in the dropouts.

Last edited by GeoKrpan; 01-06-07 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-06-07, 09:32 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i have my light touring bike set up with a brake bolt rack but they are only rated for about 10 pounds or less. even though that's the max, I wouldn't strap a tent on it, its small, would'nt take a tent sized roll, it's sized for more like a raincoat, your coffeemug and a couple of snack bars.

I 'd recommend a 'trad' front rack, (surly nice front, jannd expedition front, Bor Yueh front, old stock Blackburn mtn front (very nice if you can find one!) etc....) that mounts to the fender braze ons at the bottom of the fork ,and the mid fork bolt thrus, if you want to be carrying around a tent on the front all the time.

edited to add P-clamps or the Tubus 'adaptor' system for mid fork, if your fork doesn't have midfork bolt thrus. the Bor Yueh fronts don't use the mid mounts. you can use the p-clamps or tubus adaptors to mount any of the racks that usually go midfork, no brand exclusivity/incompatability there.

Last edited by Bekologist; 01-06-07 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-06-07, 10:03 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I gather that you don't have a mid-fork braze on, i.e. a bolt hole in the middle of the fork.

Apart from fancy platforms that attach only to the top and are mostly designed to hold the bottom of a traditional handlebar bag, I would suggest this:

– A Blackburn-compatible low rider rack, such as the one from MEC. It uses a U-bolt around the fork. Never had any problem with the one on my single bike, but I had a fatigue failure on the one I had on my tandem. There are many similar offerings available.

– Old Man Mountain has one or two models which use the eyelets at the bottom and either the cantilever brake bosses or a U-bolt around the fork.

– Tubus Tara, with the clamps (Lowrider Adaptors). It is steel and it is sturdy; I was weary I could scratch my legs on it, especially when I commute or ride with an empty rack.

– Bruce Gordon. It uses P-clamps around the forks. Also a steel rack and very sturdy. I have two of them and I can tell you the bags don't wiggle at all, even on the tandem.
Old 01-07-07, 09:38 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can mount a rear rack on front using the fender eyelets by the fork dropouts and the caliper brake hole at the top where the fender would mount. You will need to make an adaptor from round aluminum bar stock to fit the attachment hardware used for mounting the rack to the seat stays. Just cut the bar stock to a length that will accommodate the width of the rack hardware. Drill and tap holes in both ends. I use a #7 drill and1/4-20 tap, as this hardware is very common here in the USA. Drill a second hole the appropriate size so you can run a long bolt through the fork hole and your adaptor. Now you can easily mount a rear rack to your front forks. Look closely and you will note a rear rack mounted on the front of my bike.
Old 01-07-07, 04:37 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Old Man Mountain Cold Springs front rack costs $120, has a weight limit of 50 lbs, and weighs 490 grams, a little over 1 pound
The Old Man Mountain Sherpa front rack costs $90, has a weight limit of 40 lbs, and weighs 450 grams, less than 1 pound.
These racks have an incredible load carrying capacity AND they are super light.
I like that they are not low riders. The pannier hangs higher giving more ground clearance and I think the rack looks better than low riders when the panniers are not installed.
The skewer mounting system has got to be many times more strong than the little screw in the dropout mounting method. Also, the brake boss mounting arrangement is stronger than the mid fork braze on or clamping methods.
That's a good idea about using a rear rack as a front rack. You could use a rack designed for a road bike with dual pivot calipers and short chainstays. However, it would be a little flimsey with only one strut the upper mounting.
Old 01-07-07, 05:41 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
For road touring you want the bags low. My current tour bike has a shelf rack with lowriders installed on it. Bruce Gordon has a good selection of racks. I put a fair amount of my weight in the front panniers when traveling fully loaded. And I have strapped stuff on the rack including my small one man tent. Blackburn used to make front mountain racks that would take a lowrider too. I have one and am not about to part with it. It is on my "expedition" bike

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-07-07, 07:32 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't use lowriders it's probably a good idea to pack your front panniers more lightly.
That way you would still have good ground clearance.
Old 01-08-07, 06:43 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I said that I do not plan on using front panniers. I just need a flat top rack so I can place stuff on it
Old 01-08-07, 08:51 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I used the OMM Coldsprings front rack on a recent tour. I didn't use front panniers, but I but all my heavy stuff in a small backpack I attached to the rack platform. My LHT handled great like this and I'll use that system on future tours. In my rear panniers I carried light but bulky stuff like sleeping bag & clothes. My tent went on top of my rear panniers.

The QR skewer attachment is a bit more of a PITA than a standard front rack, but the whole OMM rack is totally bomber and I would not have any worries that it would break - except in a crash.

Surly makes a front rack that is really cool, but I lifted one at my LBS and that sucker is heavy. If you are going to run heavily loaded front panniers that might be worth looking into, but if not I wouldn't bother.
Old 01-08-07, 09:09 PM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea that coldsprings one looks great, but $119.00 is a bit too heavy. I think I will look into getting it. Thanks.

Does anyone use the NASHBAR front rack. It mounts to the brake bosses and the hole in the crown. I dont think it will hold up, but I dont know.
Old 01-08-07, 09:19 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i've got a nashbar brakeboss rack and have it on my light touring/cyclocross bike, and i think i was just awnsering questions about it in a little higher up on this thread....

It isn't big enough for a tent unless your tent rolls up the size of a raincoat. if you want to get a tent on the front rack, you need a trad sized front rack, or a rear rack mounted bastard style on the front.
Old 01-14-07, 10:24 AM
DavidARayJaxNC
DavidARay@gmail.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
i've got a nashbar brakeboss rack and have it on my light touring/cyclocross bike, and i think i was just awnsering questions about it in a little higher up on this thread....

It isn't big enough for a tent unless your tent rolls up the size of a raincoat. if you want to get a tent on the front rack, you need a trad sized front rack, or a rear rack mounted bastard style on the front.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to bastardize a rear rack to get what I want.