Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question about installing cateye.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 06:35 PM
NameGoesHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Something doesn't seem right, exactly. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

Seriously though. The fork on this bike is so wedge shaped that I'm afraid that a) the sensor will slip down and b) will rotate easily and become very loose.

Anyone have good solutions for this situation?
Old 01-07-07, 06:41 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duct tape.

Ok, not really, but put some kind of adhesive on the back of the sensor. Maybe someone else can suggest one that is easy to clean off.
Old 01-07-07, 06:42 PM
Trevor98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rubbing alcohol to clean it
Old 01-07-07, 06:43 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like your bike has a laser attached.

It also looks like you need to adjust your brake pads a little bit.
Old 01-07-07, 06:43 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Install sensor on the front of the fork blade. It has a natural shape for the sensor mount. You'll hardly notice it there. My wireless sensor is mounted on the left front fork blade of my aero fork.

Last edited by roadfix; 01-07-07 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 06:48 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put a piece of clear tape on the fork, and then filled the space between the sensor and the fork with auto body putty. After it set, I peeled off the tape, sanded the putty smooth, spray painted it black to match the sensor, and mounted it with two tie wraps. Stopped the constant shifting of the sensor that was installed by the lbs at the time I bought the bike.
Old 01-07-07, 08:34 PM
zhefei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have mine attached with black electrical tape (black fork). no problems yet.
Old 01-07-07, 08:49 PM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NameGoesHere
...Seriously though. The fork on this bike is so wedge shaped that I'm afraid that a) the sensor will slip down and b) will rotate easily and become very loose.

Anyone have good solutions for this situation?
Click my sig pic. Like zhefei, I also attached mine with electrical tape.
Old 01-07-07, 08:54 PM
NameGoesHere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Like_Bike
Click my sig pic. Like zhefei, I also attached mine with electrical tape.
Being a visual learner, that helps a lot! Might not be able to tell from the pics, but mine is a Scott Speedster S1.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's help!
Old 01-11-07, 09:23 PM
NameGoesHere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I liked the electrical tape idea. I'm not sure I did the installation perfect, and I know ideally the sensor would go toward the back of the fork, but being a blade, I didn't see that as possible.

While on the topic of cyclocomputers... I don't see how the readings can be accurate unless the sensor/magnet are a specific distance from the hub. The tire size is set on the computer, sure, but I just don't get it. I think I'm overthinking it.
Old 01-11-07, 09:24 PM
NameGoesHere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
It also looks like you need to adjust your brake pads a little bit.
Please continue...
Old 01-11-07, 10:12 PM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I liked the electrical tape idea. I'm not sure I did the installation perfect, and I know ideally the sensor would go toward the back of the fork, but being a blade, I didn't see that as possible.

While on the topic of cyclocomputers... I don't see how the readings can be accurate unless the sensor/magnet are a specific distance from the hub. The tire size is set on the computer, sure, but I just don't get it. I think I'm overthinking it.
Looks okay to me!
I was wondering the same thing myself about measuring distance accurately. I rode in the Hope century this summer and finished the ride with only 92 miles. :/
I've used the same computer all summer, so I'm wondering how many miles I really rode this year and how long some of my favorite routes really are.

The post about your brake...it looks like the pad needs to be moved up a bit so that it's making full contact with the rim surface when engaged. It could just be the angle the photo was taken at though...

I like your bike!
Old 01-11-07, 10:12 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

It measures how many revolutions your tire makes. Each revolution is 1 "tick" that the sensor reads. You tell them how big your wheel/tires are, and it knows how much distance (circumference) it travels per revolution. So it really doesn't matter where the magnet is.
Old 01-11-07, 10:20 PM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Go to any local hobby store that sells R/C cars, planes, boats etc... Tell them you want some double sided servo tape. A small role of it cost about $3-$4. You can use an Exacto knife or scissors to cut it to the shape of the sensor mount. Then use two zip ties to secure it to the fork. This type of double sided tape is very high grade, won't harm your paint on the fork and will hold the sensor to the fork by itself without the tie wraps. The tie wraps should certainly still be used, but your sensor will never move an inch with this tape and the tie wraps using this method.

Good luck.
Old 01-11-07, 10:38 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Also, you always always want to mount the sensor on the front side of the fork. As a wheel turns the top side of the wheel is moving forward, if the sensor was on the backside and made contact with the wheel then there is a chance that the sensor will get pulled into the spokes. Possibly causing the wheel to suddenly stop and we all know where that usually leads.
Old 01-11-07, 10:59 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
This reminds me of a grat Calvin and Hobbes strip where his dad explains that the two points on a record have the same angular velocity, but cover different distances....anyone able to dig that one up somewhere...?

EDIT: Found it...

Old 01-11-07, 11:26 PM
hanny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you want actual speed you just take the wheel circumference times the angular velocity (rpm). The wheel circumference is programed into the computer, and the sensor measures rpm. The rpm reading would be the same at any distance from the hub. the velocity would be different, higher further from the hub, but that is not what you are measuring. You want the velocity of the very outside of the wheel, which you can get if you know the circumference and the rpm.
Old 01-12-07, 07:24 AM
NameGoesHere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-12-07, 08:29 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I once used a small dab of clear silicon on the forks where I wanted to mount the sensor. After about 7 years when I removed it there was no mark on the forks. Worked a dream.
Old 01-13-07, 01:25 AM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a rubber stick on strip from the LBS, cut it down to go around the fork. stuck the sensor over it and wire tied it down. Never slips, and safe for the carbon fork.