Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Crotch

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-04, 08:38 PM
flyefisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crotch

I have the winter clothing thing sorted out with the exception of one issue. I use Pearl AmFib tights with shorts underneath. They are windblock tights. The only part of my body that gets cold is my, er, crotch. This happens below about 22 degrees. What can be added to this arsenal to give some more insulation to that area?
Old 01-07-04, 08:40 PM
temp1

Bikes: Cannondale R600, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a sock
Old 01-07-04, 10:02 PM
IowaParamedic
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, I thought it was only me that got cold.
Old 01-08-04, 07:16 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by flyefisher
I have the winter clothing thing sorted out with the exception of one issue. I use Pearl AmFib tights with shorts underneath.
What kind of shorts are you referring to? Cycling shorts, cycling underwear, or regular underwear?
What kind of temperatures are you talking about?

I've ridden in temperatures in the high 20s. Yeah I know that isn't THAT cold but for us Southern boys it is. I wear regular padded bib shorts under my tights. My crotch doesn't get cold, just my face and my toes. I think today will be a good day to try the toe covers I got for Christmas.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-08-04, 09:47 AM
Jay H
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe one of those chemical heat packs???

Jay
Old 01-08-04, 09:58 AM
flyefisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regular cycling shorts. The bibshorts do not have padding which is why I wear these.
Old 01-09-04, 09:18 AM
Limba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's normal at that temp.Maybe wear another pair of shorts on top of your tights?
Old 01-09-04, 11:20 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride at even much colder temperatures and don't suffer from this. I would simply add another wind blocking layer.

In cold temperatures, its not about fassion, its about survival and comfort.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 01-09-04, 01:19 PM
pinerider
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear lined nylon pants over my bike shorts, no problems in temps to around 5 degrees F.
Old 01-12-04, 02:14 PM
mtessmer
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by flyefisher
I have the winter clothing thing sorted out with the exception of one issue. I use Pearl AmFib tights with shorts underneath. They are windblock tights. The only part of my body that gets cold is my, er, crotch. This happens below about 22 degrees. What can be added to this arsenal to give some more insulation to that area?

Hey, singing soprano isn't so bad. Actually, if it's down below 20F I put on a pair of fleece long johns under my tights and that does the trick down to below zero.