Old 02-03-07, 07:27 AM
fitmiss

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tucson - After the Ride Advise

About 25 of us from my bike club in NJ are going to Tucson early March. I've seen some great information on the forum for different ride options with cue sheets. How about some practical information for after we're done riding? We will be there about a week.

Are there any "Must-See" places of interests that you can recommend? Any good inexpensive to moderate restaurants that we should know about? I think the area in which we are staying is known as Flaghills? We would certainly like to get a "feel' for Tucson while we are there.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-03-07, 08:32 AM
KRS
Ground Gears

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Restaurant; Better Than Bread; located at the SW corner of Speedway and Wilmot.

I don't know much about Tucson... but I am very aware of that place. My cousin is a firefighter in tucson and when I was in town for a business meeting he shared that place with me.... excellent sandwiches, crispy bread... excellent.
Old 02-04-07, 01:30 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Flaghills? Bet you meant 'the Foothills' . . . an upscale area just out of town.
After getting used to the elevation ( +/- 2500') and some of the nice 'hills', time off the bike will be eating in 'lots' of real Mexican restaurants (we're not talking Taco Bell). La Parilla Suiza comes to mind (there's 3 of 'em in town), Macayos, Chuy's (several in town) + a hundred others; Non-Hispanic: Beyond Bread, Blue Willow, Five 'n Diner or L'il Anthony's Diner (50's style), Roma Caffe. Fom American to Mexican/Italian/Thai/ Chinese/Japanese, even Indian and Ethiopian; and yes, some real $teakhou$e$: Lil' Abners, Lariat, Pinnacle Peak, Daisy Mae's.

Must see: the Desert Museum (NOT a museum, but great natural setting/zoo with all kinds of desert animals: mt. sheep, cougars, raptors and a huge humming bird aviary. Also Old Tucson (old movie set/amusement); Tohono Chul Park to see desert flaura /exhibits + a great little tearoom/restaurant. Do some biking/hiking in either of the 2 Saguaro National Parks (small entry fee) and climb Mt. Lemmon by bike . . . a 20-some mile ascent to the 9,000 ft.level going from desert to conifers. Eat at the town of Summer Haven (great pies!) when you hit the top of 'the Lemmon'.
More riding/climbing, or drive, up Kitt Peak Observatory (about 7500') outside of the city. And then there's the Biosphere II about 30 miles north of town . . . yes, you can bike there, up Oracle Road/Hwy 77. . . eat in town of Catalina at Claire's Cafe on the way back.
That ought to hold you for about a week!
Enjoy!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 02-08-07, 12:47 PM
arie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warming up in Tucson

Well Rudy and Kay I also picked up some of your ideas for when I'm in Tucson begin of April to do the warming up for a ride to Albuquerque.
Va Grand Canyon (a bit cooling down).
Arie
Old 02-09-07, 10:52 PM
azmanxman
azmanxman

Bikes: Giant TCR Carbon, Giant NRS2, Vintage Olmo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of riding?

There's tons of both road and mountain biking that should be on your "must ride" list.
Road.
Mount Lemon, Gates Pass, Old Spanish Trail & the Saguaro National Monument East.
Mountain.
Fantasy Island, Star Pass, Arizona Trail, Chivo Falls (or Chiva Falls if you prefer that pronunciation), lots of stuff on mount Lemon.

You're going to want to stay longer!
Old 02-09-07, 10:56 PM
KRS
Ground Gears

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by azmanxman
There's tons of both road and mountain biking that should be on your "must ride" list.
Road.
Mount Lemon, Gates Pass, Old Spanish Trail & the Saguaro National Monument East.
Mountain.
Fantasy Island, Star Pass, Arizona Trail, Chivo Falls (or Chiva Falls if you prefer that pronunciation), lots of stuff on mount Lemon.

You should've invited the large group to stay in your home...... maybe not
Old 02-11-07, 07:31 PM
fitmiss

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.0

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azmanxman
Road.
Mountain.

Do you have any favorite cue sheets? We've seen a bunch on line but if you have something else to share, it will be appreciated.