Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Purchased riding shoes

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 07:27 PM
KRS
Ground Gears

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Purchased riding shoes

I can't believe the improvement in riding comfort!

I thought I needed wider pedals, but it was my athletic shoes (wide base) that were causing me the problems.

I bought some Answer Paladade shoes and love 'em. I'll probably step up to pedals with some cleats. These shoes have the mounting area on the bottom, so they should just bolt right onto some cleat style pedals.

$50 well spent.

KRS
Old 02-09-07, 08:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 1,861 Times in 1,059 Posts
It's amazing how wearing stuff designed for cycling can help improve your rides

Old 02-09-07, 11:00 PM
KRS
Ground Gears

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who would have thought such a thing
Old 02-10-07, 03:10 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wait until he discovers the shorts.
Old 02-10-07, 09:42 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 1,861 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Took me 3 months for that one and it was one of the best days in my life. Who new riding a bike in the south in summer could be fun and not come back 5 pounds heavier from all the sweat in the cotton t-shirt, shorts, socks and underwear.

Old 02-10-07, 10:21 AM
wneumann
Weapons grade stupidity

Bikes: Univega Sportour & Cadillac RLE 1.8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselDan
Honestly, I've only found minimal difference between cycling shorts and regular shorts/track pants with a pair of compression shorts underneath. Ditto for cycling jerseys over other shirts designed for athletic use (the Champion section at target and hitting the racks for Kappa soccer gear at Burlington Coat Factory are my favorites -- with prices about 20-33% of most cycling jerseys).
Old 02-10-07, 01:25 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wneumann
Honestly, I've only found minimal difference between cycling shorts and regular shorts/track pants with a pair of compression shorts underneath. Ditto for cycling jerseys over other shirts designed for athletic use (the Champion section at target and hitting the racks for Kappa soccer gear at Burlington Coat Factory are my favorites -- with prices about 20-33% of most cycling jerseys).
I used to ride "Iron Butt", but as I got older, I've found I NEED that chamois! Heck, after 50 or more miles into a ride, I really have learned to appreciate the joys of padded shorts!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-10-07, 02:16 PM
wneumann
Weapons grade stupidity

Bikes: Univega Sportour & Cadillac RLE 1.8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
I used to ride "Iron Butt", but as I got older, I've found I NEED that chamois! Heck, after 50 or more miles into a ride, I really have learned to appreciate the joys of padded shorts!
Sure, they do make a larger difference on longer rides. For me, about 40 miles is my break-even point, where the cost of the chamois is justified.
But for my daily commute, it's really not needed.
Old 02-10-07, 02:24 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wneumann
Sure, they do make a larger difference on longer rides. For me, about 40 miles is my break-even point, where the cost of the chamois is justified.
But for my daily commute, it's really not needed.
Understood, but an average ride for me starts at 50 miles and thus far, my peak is 167 miles in 11 1/2 hrs.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-10-07, 04:01 PM
bloodhound
...there I was...

Location: ...I left Hawaii for this? This is frickin cold!...

Bikes: ...Surly LHT - blue...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shorts next

I agree with the above... you need some tight black padded biking shorts next. It really does make a huge difference. Less chafing (read: none), they keep things out of the way, and you feel faster!

...sometimes I even wear them while riding my bike...
Old 02-10-07, 06:35 PM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shorts

For rides under 50 miles and temperatures under 75 degrees I've found it doesn't make much difference what type of shorts I use. On my recumbent I can ride in levis with no problems, on the upright its very important to choose shorts that work and a saddle that breaths and fits. I like my old school leather Brooks saddles but will be trying a Sella An-atomica soon, since I think they are the best in every way, based on what I've researched and the testimonials from experienced riders.
Old 02-11-07, 10:50 PM
KRS
Ground Gears

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bloodhound
...sometimes I even wear them while riding my bike...
Well there's a mental image

Padded shorts 'eh?

I was going to try some compression shorts (Underarmor) over the next three days while riding and see what I thought.

My cousin is also sending me an extra set of clipless pedals from his MTB he pulled off and put a different brand on.

Good advice all !