Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

drive by cursing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

drive by cursing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 03:56 PM
dokie
Moto gp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drive by cursing

ok so im sure this has happed to everyone. your consentrating on your ride and as a car passes you they yell something. usually HS or college kids just being annoying but i was wondering if i got a licence plate # what could i do with it.....is that harasment maybe..? do they have to do it more than once to be harasement?..what if they buzz you while they do it..?

anyone have any info
Old 03-05-07, 03:58 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you REALLY in college?
Old 03-05-07, 04:03 PM
bruce19

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX, Guru steel & Guru Photon

Liked 1,429 Times in 835 Posts
Don't know where you live but some states have a concept known as "threatening" which is (theoretically) punishable by law. If your state does, and the definition includes the behavior you describe, you may have a claim. Whether it is enforceable given the "he said, she said" nature of the complaint is debatable.
Old 03-05-07, 04:06 PM
schu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't know if you've ever dealt with the police on anything. but for the most part it'll be a huge waste of your time. i personally don't have that much time to spare so i just keep riding and try to not let it get to me. and if it does i just push myself harder and take it out on my legs.
Old 03-05-07, 04:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
The worst thing you have hurled at you from a passing car is an unkind word?
Old 03-05-07, 04:08 PM
cbaronzzi
Bike!

Bikes: 2002 Cannondale R2000 Si Saeco, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, here in ohio, if you write down their license plate number, you can then use it to get a life! Its called free speech. Not everyone has to like looking at your spandex-clad *ss taking up their lane. Yell back at them. That is what you can do about it.
Old 03-05-07, 04:10 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile and wave. Keep moving. It's just a thang.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 03-05-07, 04:14 PM
botto 

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Big F'ing deal.

I got called the word banned in NYC last week by some little schmuck on the back of a scooter a couple of hours ago, when I was coming back from the supermarket on my city bike.

I just laughed at the kid - granted, it was pretty easy to do considering my ethnicity.
Old 03-05-07, 04:19 PM
dokie
Moto gp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was wondering what could be done not that i would stop and call the cops just curious.
Old 03-05-07, 04:21 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally, for words there is nothing at all you can do. Actions may well be another matter.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 03-05-07, 05:01 PM
ludeboy_77

Bikes: Schwinn Letour 1989, Shogun 300 198?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ignore it is the best thing you can do. Please view the Chappell Show on "when keepin' it real goes wrong" for more information.
Old 03-05-07, 05:03 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by cbaronzzi
Yell back at them. That is what you can do about it.

Unwise.

But alas, I live in MT. You may have free speech, but we have free "shoot it, gut it, eat it, stuff it, hang hats on it".
Old 03-05-07, 05:21 PM
G60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will make me go curl up in a corner and cry'

there's nothing you can do for being simply yelled at.

(well technically yeah it's illegal to yell threats of violence etc, but you know..)

if you get something thrown at you, or the driver makes a motion like he's trying to hit you or run you off the road, contacting the police might do something. usually if they get enough complaints about the same person/car they'll take it seriously.

look at it this way...at least it wasn't a run-by fruiting.
Old 03-05-07, 05:55 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,265 Times in 718 Posts
sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Not worth whining to the police about profanity or a buzz by. If they hit you with something or nick you with the car, that's assault or assault with a deadly weapon and might be worth doing something about.
Old 03-05-07, 06:01 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbaronzzi
Well, here in ohio, if you write down their license plate number, you can then use it to get a life! Its called free speech. Not everyone has to like looking at your spandex-clad *ss taking up their lane. Yell back at them. That is what you can do about it.
1.) Gave an opinion.
2.) Gave a fact.
3.) Gave a suggestion.
4.) Showed both sides of the equation.

+1

As far as I'm concerned, cbaronzzi is totally right.
Old 03-05-07, 06:24 PM
slacker00
Winter blues...

Bikes: 1997 Univega Superstrada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, someone seemed to shout "*******" at me yesterday, but I didn't even think about it until I opened this thread. Usually I think nothing about it. If they really had any balls, they'd stop and talk to me intelligently. Usually, yells from a car are unintelligible. Somehow I have faith that these same people will not feel compelled to run me over at some later time. The real ones I fear are drunk/impaired/stupid drivers. People with half a brain or any sense whatsoever will not cause physical harm or injury.
Old 03-05-07, 06:33 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dokie
i was wondering what could be done not that i would stop and call the cops just curious.
Smile, flip em the bird and keep on riding.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-05-07, 07:13 PM
vantassell
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can actually hear what they say? People usually pass by too fast too hear more than one vowel of one word in the sentence they're expecting me to hear....idiots
Old 03-05-07, 07:21 PM
iNewton

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride faster, all you'll hear is wind. Problem solved.
Old 03-05-07, 07:33 PM
Brycycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the only thing that bothers me is when being yelled at breaks my concentration. however, i have found that 'yelling' is often accompanied by projectiles and/or idiots swerving closer (as in encroaching to the point of clipping you) to ensure you can hear them...
Old 03-05-07, 07:36 PM
haimtoeg
Magnesium Dogmatic

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dokie
ok so im sure this has happed to everyone. your consentrating on your ride and as a car passes you they yell something. usually HS or college kids just being annoying but i was wondering if i got a licence plate # what could i do with it.....is that harasment maybe..? do they have to do it more than once to be harasement?..what if they buzz you while they do it..?

anyone have any info
They are idiots, just ignore them.
Old 03-05-07, 07:40 PM
ri_us

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to ingore these people but now I have more fun thinking of creative things to say:
1) Appropriate for use when driver is in an SUV, "Wow, your car is big. Your penis/boobs must be pretty small."
2) "I'm sorry you're out of shape."
3) Confuse the hell out of them by pointing at another car and saying, "People like _that_ take the fun out of flossing."
4) "Why don't you come back and we'll find out who works out more. Where are you going?"
Old 03-05-07, 09:19 PM
Punx

Bikes: 2008 Kink Transition with upgrades, 2007 Haro Thread 1 with upgrades.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey have you got your bike yet Dokie? Make a post with pictures and review please i would really love to know!
Old 03-05-07, 09:21 PM
Monkeybars
has been

Bikes: Current riders are Madone 5.9 SL and Rocky Mountain oxygen race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been yelled at countless times by people with nothing else to do. Just keep riding. Ride long enough and you will have the opportunity to be hit by some of those cars. I have been hit five times in the years of my riding.
Old 03-05-07, 09:29 PM
JRider
Small Member

Bikes: '03 Lemond Zurich, '85 Viner Special Professional, '89 Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Smile, flip em the bird and keep on riding.
+1

Someone yelled, "you suck!" out of their window at me yesterday and I didn't even have time to "keep up foreign relations."

I usually do that or give a smile and overenthusiastic/sarcastic wave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.