Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Race Report - West Japan Road Race

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 05:54 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3 x 12.3 km laps. Course profile:

Full (*but lengthy) report here: https://www.powerweenies.com (haha!)

If your DNS hasn't picked up the new domain name yet, you can go to:
https://www.cycleiwakuni.com/blog

My goals going into today:

1. Don't crash
2. Don't get dropped
3. Attack climbs, 1st lap - thin the pack
4. Conserve Energy - Lap 2
5. Attack at every chance, Lap 3

--------------------------

Goals accomplished:
1 - Didn't crash
- Crash behind me on lap 1, probably slowed down a good third of the pack out of a curvy descent

2 - Didn't get dropped (in fact, stuck with the breakaway)

3 - Attacked climb #1 and helped thin the pack on lap 1, as well as bridging the gap on lap #2 to complete the breakaway group of 8 which stuck to the end.

4 - Conserved energy for most of lap #2, until having to bridge the gap to the breakaway.

5 - Attacked on lap 3, on monster climb and 1.2 km from finish where I thought it could have been most beneficial. Didn't work out for me, but they were fun attacks.

So, I accomplished the training goals for the first race of the year.
---------------------------

Results: 8/75. Last member of the breakaway to come across. Next group to come through was a little over a minute back.

Learned:

a. Riding with a complete group of non-team, unaffiliated riders means no one wants to work. When a break goes, because no one has been working, everyone is fresh making the break almost impossible.

b. Turn the powertap on when the race starts, you don't lose 6km of data.

c. Don't think gapping the breakaway downhill into the wind is going to work, even though it's fun to try.

Ride safe!
Old 03-18-07, 06:40 AM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Way to go man, you got in the decisive break, and rolled the dice. Sometimes it works, sometimes not...but in any case you still beat out 67 other guys
Old 03-18-07, 06:51 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Old 03-18-07, 06:55 AM
TeamPlayers

Bikes: MBK Prospeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW

So, I accomplished the training goals for the first race of the year.
Sweet ride and always love hear goals met
Old 03-18-07, 07:21 AM
DrWJODonnell
Slow'n'Aero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great ride and report. Looking at the file you spend a LOT of time over 400 watts. LTHR around 176 for you?? Good think you were warm for that climb early on. And to me, that 8th place with a last ditch effort is a first place in my mind. You were the only one with the cojones to go for it. NICE JOB!!
Old 03-18-07, 07:27 AM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It felt like we were either descending, or doing huge wattage uphill. That's the nature of the course we rode.

Last LTHR was put at 177, so you're spot on. One of the greatest things about this race was the comfy feeling that I wasn't banking on winning, so anything I wanted to try I could and still go home happy.
Old 03-18-07, 09:20 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sounded great.

I liked your point b.
Reminded me of my first race.
I was soooooo freakin' neverous that I had put my front wheel on the wrong way and got no data from the computer for the entire race!
Old 03-20-07, 06:39 AM
zimbo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't believe I missed this report because I was watching for it. Does Japan have different racing categories or is everyone lumped in together? I ask because I would have thought you would decimate the "beginner" field given your power numbers and the hilly nature of the course. But, of course, any time you make the break and still have enough left to continue attacking, it's a very successful race.

--Steve
Old 03-20-07, 01:29 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not cat's by ability. It's cat's by affiliation. If you're riding with a JCF team, you're in a specific group (or actually, you get to choose which distance you want to ride). If you choose to ride unaffiliated, you ride the "B" races, which says absolutely nothing about ability. It's a very bizarre setup after knowing how the races in the states are done. Getting on a JCF licensed team wouldn't be worth it for the dozen or so races this year that I'll do, so I'll have fun doing the races I get to.

Next up is a 2.5km TT with a criterium on the same course later that day on 1 April. Pancake flat, a bunch of turns. Should be fun!
Old 03-20-07, 01:32 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's also great tactical practice riding with completely unaffiliated riders. It truly is every man for himself. And when you don't speak their language, it's hard to get them to work with you. Certainly complicates matters.
Old 03-20-07, 02:47 PM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NomadVW
It's also great tactical practice riding with completely unaffiliated riders. It truly is every man for himself. And when you don't speak their language, it's hard to get them to work with you. Certainly complicates matters.
Just throw them some Mr. Roboto and while they are trying to figure things out, go like hell.