Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

This should be a felony crime.......

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 10:12 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Hit & run drivers......

https://wcco.com/local/local_story_093221247.html

A$$holes.......

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-05-07, 10:15 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Tightwad
This should be a felony crime
It is a felony crime.

Tim
Old 04-05-07, 10:30 AM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
It is a felony crime.

Tim
+1, it is in MI anyway. The irony being that if the person wasn't drunk they would have probably gotten off with a ticket.
Old 04-05-07, 10:46 AM
Recumbomatic

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole incident is shameful!

The rider apparently was doing everything right. Hit from behind. Nobody stopped to help. Other cars didn't bother avoiding the wrecked bike.

I hope at least someone comes forward with a vehicle description.
Old 04-05-07, 11:13 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
They set up a relief fund for the poor guy. I hope people help him get a new bike, if he's able to ride after he rehabs from the injuries.

Chris Zito Fund
C/O TCF Bank
801 Marquette Avenue 001-01-J
Minneapolis, MN 55402-9984

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-05-07, 01:03 PM
LandLuger
bicyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's @#*t like this that keeps half the people I know slaves to the automobile and afraid of the bicycle. The President might want to consider putting his energies into getting more cops on the streets and give less lip service to pie-in-the-sky energy gimmicks. But no money in that, huh W?
Old 04-05-07, 03:14 PM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LandLuger
It's @#*t like this that keeps half the people I know slaves to the automobile and afraid of the bicycle. The President might want to consider putting his energies into getting more cops on the streets and give less lip service to pie-in-the-sky energy gimmicks. But no money in that, huh W?
Police and State law enforcement is not a federal government issue. This is something the Governor of the State and the Mayors of the towns and cities are responsible for. So why are you bringing W. into this?
Old 04-05-07, 03:52 PM
LandLuger
bicyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Pres has the Bully Pulpit; the means to set the agenda. While I realize that his poor poll numbers limits his present effectiveness, I would like to see something more than inspecting a few electric cars on the WH lawn towards furthering the goal of foreign energy independence for our country. Don't assume that I'm some "Kool-aid" drinker looking to bash the pres, I'm just as disappointed in the congress. Furthermore, there have been federal bills passed providing federal funds toward getting more cops on the street. As I've written before, get one person out of the car and it's like getting five people into hybrid electric/gas automobiles. However, so few will take the risk on our roadways that's why I have to come to BF for CF advice. It's ridiculous out on the roads these days; people get away with almost anything and the speed limit isn't a maximum its become a minimum. The few cops that we have left in our city can't be expected to cover a small fraction of the area that is demanded of them. Our department has lost many to the reserves in our nation's effort in the ME. The precious remaining officers are spending more time than ever before dealing with the gangs that migrated north to our city from New Orleans following Katrina.

Sorry to get off on a rant, but I'm just fed up.

Last edited by LandLuger; 04-05-07 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 04:05 PM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ok..so W. can say a few words. That aint going to change a thing.

You would be much better served by contacting your state legislative representatives and trying to get them to do more as far as money for law enforcement. Contact the mayor of your city and your city council, people in the local governement can do far more than GWB.

IMO, part of the problem in the US now is that too many people are looking to the Feds to be the answer to all the problems. The US is not set up that way. In fact, the Federal Government should probably be 10% or less of the governance that we fall under, instead, its something closer to 90% of our governance. The problems we all deal with each and every day are local issues, and I for one do not want some yahoo in DC who knows nothing of my lifestyle trying to govern it from afar.

Ok..my rant is over.

And it really sucks what happened to this guy. I hope they find the person who hit him, and the people who passed by without offering assistance. If the second group can't be charged with a crime, well their names can be published so their neighbors know what scum they are.
Old 04-05-07, 06:05 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deputyjones
+1, it is in MI anyway. The irony being that if the person wasn't drunk they would have probably gotten off with a ticket.
In Oregon we often call it "$242 hunting licenses".
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 04-05-07, 06:18 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a saying that goes if you want to get away with murder, either take your victim hunting or catch him riding a bicycle. Don't remember where I heard that, maybe it was even from this sub forum.
Old 04-06-07, 05:28 AM
ellenDSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll admit that my thinking may be stretching it a bit but the "every man/woman for himself/herself mentality is what has gotten this country/planet into the mess we are currently in. Basic human decency has become the exception.
Old 04-06-07, 07:01 AM
filtersweep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is crazy- Hiawatha is practically a freeway-- I am sure he wasn't just bumped.
Old 04-06-07, 08:53 PM
WishYouWasMe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LandLuger
The Pres has the Bully Pulpit; the means to set the agenda. While I realize that his poor poll numbers limits his present effectiveness, I would like to see something more than inspecting a few electric cars on the WH lawn towards furthering the goal of foreign energy independence for our country. Don't assume that I'm some "Kool-aid" drinker looking to bash the pres, I'm just as disappointed in the congress. Furthermore, there have been federal bills passed providing federal funds toward getting more cops on the street. As I've written before, get one person out of the car and it's like getting five people into hybrid electric/gas automobiles. However, so few will take the risk on our roadways that's why I have to come to BF for CF advice. It's ridiculous out on the roads these days; people get away with almost anything and the speed limit isn't a maximum its become a minimum. The few cops that we have left in our city can't be expected to cover a small fraction of the area that is demanded of them. Our department has lost many to the reserves in our nation's effort in the ME. The precious remaining officers are spending more time than ever before dealing with the gangs that migrated north to our city from New Orleans following Katrina.

Sorry to get off on a rant, but I'm just fed up.
I've never heard of people who bash the president being called "kool-aid" drinkers...where does that come from? Anyway I think hybrids are legitimate..and we should think about finding alternative energy sources.
Old 04-06-07, 09:26 PM
LandLuger
bicyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...oolaid+Drinker
Old 04-07-07, 01:32 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by deputyjones
He might have gotten off even if he was drunk.

A friend of mine was hit by a drunk driver. As they were waiting for the police to arrive, the guy went in a nearby liquor store, bought a fifth of booze and started chugging it down in front of a lot of witnesses. When the cops arrived, he told them to go ahead and do a breathalyzer. He said it would only prove that he had been drinking after the accident! The cops arrested him anyway, but he did beat the drunk driving charge in court. It turned out that he was an attorney who specialized in drink driving cases. I encouraged my friend to go after his license to practice law, but he didn't want to mess with it.

"Think Outside the Cage"