Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Next level of supplements

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 06:40 PM
Rocky Mountain

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am going to start working out in the gym with the goal to gain muscle, and all workout routines recommend limited aerobic activity. I'm not going to stop cycling so I need something extra (other then steroids). Has or does anyone take supplements such as EAS Edurathon or Muscle Armor? I've looked into other products like MAN Body Octane, Cordygen5, and even No-Xplode.

I want to find something to improve my performance during my ride and help with recovery. I know if I go work out in the gym and then go out for a 1-2 hour ride, I won't gain an ounce of muscle. My main need is for a product to stop catabolism during a ride, so I don't loose the muscle mass I worked so hard for in the gym. The above mentioned products claim they do this, but I was hoping someone has been in the same situation.

thanks!
Old 04-08-07, 06:52 PM
Mcurrier1241

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to post this in the "Nutrition" forum, you might get better results their. Or feel free to go to my thread called "vitamins and supplements" you might find some info their.
Old 04-08-07, 06:53 PM
Barca
Chelsea FC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I go to the gym for upper body, but that's only after my training ride. Doesn't seem to help much when it comes to gaining weight so my coach told me to eat a lot of protein.
Old 04-08-07, 07:00 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to check with a professional cycling coach. I have done body building and ultramarathon training, just not both at the same time. As I understand it high intensity cycling both burns muscle proteins for fuel AND causes muscle tisue breakdown which creates demand for still more proteins. But then so does weight lifting. An expert trainer should be able to help you balance your activities. I just would not do both on the same day.
Old 04-08-07, 07:08 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
I'm going to strongly SuperPump over the N.O.-Explode. Both from the taste stand point and from experience with both. Consider stacking the superpump with SizeOn. Both are made by Gaspari nutrion. When I start taking the 2, I gained almost 15 pounds of lean muscle in 3 months while leaning out. And keep an eye on anything made by EAS as they sold out and now let Wal-Mart carry their stuff. They used to be a great, high end supplement manufacturer but, as with any other company like that :cough:schwinn:cough:, quality control goes downhill. And since you're looking to gain muscle, take a quality protein supplement. Take one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day, but spread it out through the day, at 40-45g. per serving. I recommend American Whey or Muscle Milk. MM gets a bad rap for the amount of fat in it, but what most don't realize is that it's a good fat that your body doesn't absorb.
Old 04-08-07, 07:22 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I lift as well, but mainly to burn additional calories and to not lose too much muscle while I lose weight.

My teenage son takes a popular NO supplement pre-workout, and it seems to work for him.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/xplode.html

More info here:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne35.htm
Old 04-08-07, 07:22 PM
3MTA3
★ ★ ★

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
epo. i want to try it.