Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear derailleur problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear derailleur problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-07, 08:04 AM
gabiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, Specialized Stump Jumper, Soon to be Litespeed Solano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear derailleur problem

Hello everyone. I have a problem and have had for some time and I hope someone can help me. I have Dura Ace 10 speed shifters and rear dreailleur with a 12/27 cassette that sometimes hangs in the middle of the cassette when shifting up. I've had my LBS adjust it a friend and myself to know avail. It doesn't do it all of the time and nothing is worn out, but it is annoying especially for the quality of the components. Oh yeah the chain and derailleur are Ultegra.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old 05-18-07, 08:24 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
how many miles on the chain? could need a fresh cable and housing too.
Old 05-18-07, 08:32 AM
tool boy
fender bender

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite is to look at der hanger alignment. And I'm sure, to a bike, new cables and housing feels like putting on fresh socks after a long, wet ride.
Old 05-18-07, 08:47 AM
gabiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chain measures ok and the cable and housings were put on about last year this time and maybe have 2 or 3 thousand miles on them. I have thought about replacing the chain and I have not checked it real close to see if it is sticking. But I have had this problem with 2 different chains and cassettes.

Thanks...
Old 05-18-07, 09:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by tool boy
My favorite is to look at der hanger alignment.
+1. Dura Ace 10-speed. As the cassette cogs are spaced more closely together, derailleur hanger alignment becomes progressively more critical.
Old 05-18-07, 09:39 AM
gabiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll take a closer look at the hanger, but it is on a Litespeed with a Ti hanger. I know they'll bend but not quite as easy.

Thanks...
Old 05-18-07, 09:49 AM
vpiuva

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you checked your B-tension screw adjustment? (I'm assuming DA 10s has one) The LBS should have, but look again, or just screw it in a little and experiment.
Old 05-18-07, 10:00 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by gabiker
Hello everyone. I have a problem and have had for some time and I hope someone can help me. I have Dura Ace 10 speed shifters and rear dreailleur with a 12/27 cassette that sometimes hangs in the middle of the cassette when shifting up. I've had my LBS adjust it a friend and myself to know avail. It doesn't do it all of the time and nothing is worn out, but it is annoying especially for the quality of the components. Oh yeah the chain and derailleur are Ultegra.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
I recently had a very similar problem with my 105. I gave up trying to fix it myself and took it to the LBS; he couldn't fix it and although the chain had few miles on it I agreed to put on a new one. No change. He lubed the cables etc and the shifter and it improved a bit. I later squirted more silicone lube into the shifter and that seems to have fixed it. So try lube in the shifter/brifter.
Old 05-18-07, 10:32 AM
gabiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to lube the cables tonight, but I didn't think about the shifters. My LBS also mentioned to make sure there are no burs on the chain where the link was put in and broken off. Since I installed both chains this is a possibility.

Thanks...
Old 05-21-07, 11:26 AM
gabiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I found out what the culprit was during a 75 mile ride on Saturday. I was about 12 miles from the end when the cable snapped leaving me with 2 gears hard and harder. I took it to a different shop and he replaced the cable but noticed it still wasn't shifting right so he flipped the bike over and for some reason the cable was catching underneath the derailleur. He put a little washer on and then tightened the cable which did the trick. I really don't know how that happened other than I was working on it and broke the lipe off of the clamp and my LBS put another one on. It must have been off of a different derailleur and not as thick I assume.

Well the good news is it shift great now. Thanks for all of you suggestions.
Old 05-21-07, 11:56 AM
vpiuva

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gabiker
Well I found out what the culprit was during a 75 mile ride on Saturday. I was about 12 miles from the end when the cable snapped leaving me with 2 gears hard and harder. I took it to a different shop and he replaced the cable but noticed it still wasn't shifting right so he flipped the bike over and for some reason the cable was catching underneath the derailleur. He put a little washer on and then tightened the cable which did the trick. I really don't know how that happened other than I was working on it and broke the lipe off of the clamp and my LBS put another one on. It must have been off of a different derailleur and not as thick I assume.

Well the good news is it shift great now. Thanks for all of you suggestions.
An extra cable takes up very little room in the bag, but if this happens without one handy, you can always tighten your limit screw down to hold the RD in an easier gear. Glad you solved it.