Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Anybody hopped freight trains with your bike?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-07, 04:58 PM
newnoise

Bikes: Bridgestone Grand Velo Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kind of an odd question and only kind of bike related so I won't be surprised if I don't get any good answers or it gets moved or whatever.

I've been fascinated with traveling by hopping freight trains lately. I realized though that it would be nice to have a bike once I got to my destination. Has anybody tried hopping trains with your bike or is it just too much to deal with? It seems like it would probably be too difficult, but I know people who hop trains with their dogs and what not. Anyways, I figured there's probably a few 'shady characters' on here who have ridden trains at some point so I thought it would be worth asking.
Old 05-28-07, 05:01 PM
kjohnnytarr
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard of it being done. Do it with a folder, I'd guess.

Freight hopping is a super idea though. Certainly on my life-list. Read Duffy Littlejohn's book if you want to do it right (ie survive the experience)
Old 05-28-07, 05:38 PM
bward1028

try to find the movie "Who is Bozo Texino" (or something like that). it's a great doc about riding the rails. the director told us afterwards that after 9.11 the gov't put in infrared cameras and now it's super illegal, so be careful. other stuff to check out (if you haven't already) "Evasion" by Crimethinc, and "Hobo" by eddy cotton (?) i think.

Old 05-28-07, 05:42 PM
monsterkidz
monster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get your hands on a. I would think the bike would get in the way, especially if you have to hide from a bull or brakeman. But I could also see the bike as a great tool if you get tossed off in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by monsterkidz; 05-28-07 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 05:49 PM
refry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
please dont mention the cc onm the nets,,
crimethinc is bull*****
Old 05-28-07, 06:01 PM
nathbdp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hopping freights is illegal and dangerous. think of the train crews dealing with some dumb schmuck who decided it would be fun to play around thousands of tons of steel at 60mph and ended up in 5 pieces on the track.

stay away. i have many railroad workers in my family, past and present, and this is not something you want to play around with.

ride your bike instead.
Old 05-28-07, 06:11 PM
Morgie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a cousin who use to train hop frequently and he said that since 9-11 it's almost impossible
Old 05-28-07, 06:17 PM
biffstephens
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was waiting for a train once and did not want to wait any longer....I got my bike and decided to climb over....when I got up there the damn thing started to move.....

Everything ended good but in no time realized it was a stupid stunt....never again...
Old 05-28-07, 07:12 PM
griffin_
griffin_

Bikes: raliegh "too lazy to make my own" rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think there was actually a thread about this last year
Old 05-28-07, 07:14 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^heh, that happened during one pdx alleycat....

i've heard of trainhopping with bikes, but if you have to get off on the fly, you have to throw your bike. so a certain type of bike is necessary. might be hard to get some 48s...well, no, now that i'm thinking about it, it would be pretty damn easy.
Old 05-28-07, 07:21 PM
dustinlikewhat
Bow$$

Bikes: Surly Instigator '02, Schwinn Traveler fixed conversion, '02 Fuji Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ugh, evasion, the guide book for suburban white kid who wants to be a hobo... I've had plenty of experiences with crimethink, they're a bunch of people out of touch with reality. I've had plenty of friends who've hopped trains, all have had varying degree's of fun while doing it, be careful, and go with someone who's done it before.

I've also heard that the only place doing the infrared camera's are stations on the mexican and canadian borders. this comes from people who've hopped since 9/11.

but to address your question, a bike would probably be way too much luggage, find someone in the town you're currently squatting with an extra bike and become their friend.
Old 05-28-07, 07:54 PM
rustang
how i roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
squatter punks and train kids are disgusting. every spring a giant pack of the green, mossy, dirty little scum bags comes rolling into town. you can almost smell them before you can see them. then they sit around and beg for change and spread hepatitis everywhere, while getting drunk and throwing up all over the street. it's a bad time.

im sure there are people who hop who arent miserable pieces of ****, but since they're kind enough to not make a spectacle of themself i'd never know. i'd like to do it someday. i would not be bringing a bike. running to catch a train with a bike on your shoulder would make it much more difficult.
Old 05-28-07, 07:57 PM
fibergoldfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hopping with a full sized bike is really a bad idea, It will make you mor conspicous without a doubt. also since 9/11 hopping freights is a federal crime which will without a doubt get you put in jail for no less than 30 days. Hitchiking is faster, Evasion has its flaws but it isnt a guide book its the tale of a really nice kid doing things the way he wants, he has no delusions that people should be living with his book as a guide. and most of the people who are affiliated with crimethinc are super nice people with wonderful ideas that they act upon instead of whining about it on the internet like most privalaged kids, and neither "HOBO" or "EVASION" give practical advice for getting on trains.........

P.S. seconded on the dont mention the crew change guides on the interweb.....
Old 05-28-07, 08:00 PM
fibergoldfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
travel kids/travel punks are way different than the scum punks in your town......but I hate the scummy kids who invade tompkins square park all summer, all they do is get drunk vomit on the grass, break glass at some of the only open air shows in NYC and give people **** for being sorta clean.....they are jerks,
Old 05-28-07, 08:09 PM
dustinlikewhat
Bow$$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fibergoldfish
and most of the people who are affiliated with crimethinc are super nice people with wonderful ideas that they act upon instead of whining about it on the internet like most privalaged kids.........
I dunno, I guess if you consider it a wonderful idea when requiem played my home town, and then took it upon themselves to lead an in general protest against everything at 11 pm one night. well then yeah. I mean just because people have to get up in the morning for work doesn't give them the right to be mad about loud jack asses.
Old 05-28-07, 08:11 PM
fibergoldfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whatever I will never be able to hate on brian no matter how much a stupid disrespectufl Idea that is.....brian is great and when he hugs you, you feel like life will never suck again.
Old 05-28-07, 09:19 PM
bward1028

Originally Posted by dustinlikewhat
I dunno, I guess if you consider it a wonderful idea when requiem played my home town, and then took it upon themselves to lead an in general protest against everything at 11 pm one night. well then yeah. I mean just because people have to get up in the morning for work doesn't give them the right to be mad about loud jack asses.
i think i was at that show

Old 05-29-07, 04:45 AM
dustinlikewhat
Bow$$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in frederick maryland? if so I was the one asking them not to have the protest.
Old 05-29-07, 06:57 AM
bottom-bracket
Bike Honky

Bikes: KHS touring thing that's old, French? fixxie, 69 schwinn stingray show bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Evasion is crap. CC's are crap. Bikes are ok for rural lines.
Old 05-29-07, 07:37 AM
andypants
20-Something Desk Jockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're probably going to be way more likely to get caught because you will be way more conspicuous carrying a bike in a train yard.

Also, if you do hop trains, don't come through Tallahassee 'cause a lot of kids are sick of stinky crusties with dogs, especially because a lot of them were total jerks.
Old 05-29-07, 07:49 AM
bward1028

in frederick maryland? if so I was the one asking them not to have the protest.
that's the one, like a year ago?

Old 05-29-07, 07:55 AM
I Like Peeing

Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Catena Lusso / 1983 Pinarello Montello / Raleigh Marathon / Camel Cigarettes conversion / 1957 Worksman cruiser / Puch 140 / Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ugh, evasion, the guide book for suburban white kid who wants to be a hobo... I've had plenty of experiences with crimethink, they're a bunch of people out of touch with reality.
...Crimethinc is one guy.
Old 05-29-07, 08:00 AM
I Like Peeing

Bikes: 1985 Pinarello Catena Lusso / 1983 Pinarello Montello / Raleigh Marathon / Camel Cigarettes conversion / 1957 Worksman cruiser / Puch 140 / Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newnoise
Kind of an odd question and only kind of bike related so I won't be surprised if I don't get any good answers or it gets moved or whatever.

I've been fascinated with traveling by hopping freight trains lately. I realized though that it would be nice to have a bike once I got to my destination. Has anybody tried hopping trains with your bike or is it just too much to deal with? It seems like it would probably be too difficult, but I know people who hop trains with their dogs and what not. Anyways, I figured there's probably a few 'shady characters' on here who have ridden trains at some point so I thought it would be worth asking.
You can get away with it. However, when you have to jump off for whatever reason, on the fly or not, chances are good you'll really hate having your bike...climbing fences isn't as fun, either.
Old 05-29-07, 08:13 AM
kjohnnytarr
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you count in time spent waiting on trains, a good bike on a decent route might be just as fast. Depends on the geography, I guess. Rather than hop trains, riding long distances on a disused railbed might be ideal.

As in this:

https://railbike.com/photoalbum/pages/RRxing1_jpg.htm
Old 05-29-07, 08:59 AM
schwinn
$$$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm all for hopping trains, however if you need to ask about it on the internet its not for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.