Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mythbusters Drafting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mythbusters Drafting

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 12:03 AM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mythbusters Drafting

Check out the Mythbusters front page. They did big rig myths. The one that didn't get on the show was cycle drafting. So they put it on the website.

https://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...thbusters.html
Old 06-07-07, 12:09 AM
FigBug

Bikes: Glacier Team Ice, Cannondale XR800, Rocky Mountain Hammer Race, Specialized Big Hit Comp, Fuji Track Pro, Burley Tosa, Fiori Roma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know drafting was a myth
Old 06-07-07, 12:10 AM
Indolent58
Queen of France

Bikes: Look 565, Trek 2120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FigBug
I hear that ice floats too.
Old 06-07-07, 12:11 AM
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woah! Who woulda thunkit?! The myth of air resistance is actually REAL!!!!!!!????!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING!

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
Old 06-07-07, 12:22 AM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah this was a pretty boring segment...I can see why it didn't make it to the air...All they needed to do was ask anyone who has ridden in a paceline or a pack to know drafting helps
Old 06-07-07, 12:27 AM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The myth they were bustin was how much fuel savings could be had and at what distance. They also did the Knight Rider one of whether a car would lose control trying to pull into a moving truck. Then they wanted to see whether a blowing rig tire could kill a person.

First myth saved fuel at 100, 50, up to 10 feet, lower at 2 feet due to the driver having to keep using the gas pedal to maintain distance. Car into truck works. Tire blow only worked when tire was thrown back into a person, not blowing next to them.
Old 06-07-07, 12:31 AM
Mach42

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660 Triple, 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like Tory is a masher and a neo-apocalyptic fred.
Old 06-07-07, 12:43 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach42
It looks like Tory is a masher and a neo-apocalyptic fred.
Did you ever see the one where he tried to bunny hop a wagon and didn't...quite...make it?
Old 06-07-07, 12:44 AM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like it should have garnered a confirmed rating rather than a plausible rating. It would be a hoot to have a rented 18-wheeler (with a cyclist at the helm) to accompany a fast club ride. Yowza, could you imagine the average speed for a group of physically-fit cyclists that night?!
Old 06-07-07, 12:47 AM
Mach42

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660 Triple, 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Jays
It seems like it should have garnered a confirmed rating rather than a plausible rating. It would be a hoot to have a rented 18-wheeler with a cyclist at the helm to accompany a fast club ride. Yowza, could you imagine the average speed for a group of physically-fit cyclists that night?!
Yea, they could probably spin out with a 53/11 on anything other than an incline even on a century ride.

Originally Posted by gcl8a
Did you ever see the one where he tried to bunny hop a wagon and didn't...quite...make it?
Nope, but I'd like to see that. Is it on youtube anywhere?

Edit: Found it...Oh my god...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmp8L0D5ro
Old 06-07-07, 02:17 AM
ratebeer
Not obese just overweight

Bikes: Trek 7500fx, Cervelo Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach42
Edit: Found it...Oh my god...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbmp8L0D5ro
Hilarious! Thanks for the clip.
Stupid human tricks gone bad that are recorded to video serve as a reminder to all young idiots not to express their stupidity in ways that are purposeless and likely to cause bodily harm.

Veho difficilis, ago facilis
Old 06-07-07, 02:32 AM
mcoomer
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like it should have garnered a confirmed rating rather than a plausible rating. It would be a hoot to have a rented 18-wheeler (with a cyclist at the helm) to accompany a fast club ride. Yowza, could you imagine the average speed for a group of physically-fit cyclists that night?!
There have been more than a couple of guys pull this trick with SUV's on our Tuesday night rides. You're hammering along and look over to see an SUV pass you pulling a rider or two behind. I guess that in the end it doesn't matter how you get back to the shop ahead of the pack, just that you do.
Old 06-07-07, 06:13 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems like they watched "Breaking Away" and wanted to prove if that was possible.

It'd be cooler to see if holding onto a taxi while riding a fixie in NYC made you faster.
Old 06-07-07, 06:39 AM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mcoomer, yup, I pulled this trick riding to our scheduled Saturday-morning ride last week. I was running a bit late and hopped behind a telephone company utility truck. The driver "coordinated" with me so well that I'm convinced he was a fellow bicycle rider! It was very early and not another moving vehicle was in sight...and he pulled me along at 35 m.p.h. for over two miles before turning with a wave. That nice guy definitely did me a favor.
Old 06-07-07, 07:33 AM
FixdGearHead
BMC Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratebeer
Hilarious! Thanks for the clip.
Stupid human tricks gone bad that are recorded to video serve as a reminder to all young idiots not to express their stupidity in ways that are purposeless and likely to cause bodily harm.
Face plant. heh

Really surprised the lawyers at Discovery allowed him to try that without a helmet...
Old 06-07-07, 07:36 AM
dave99ag

Bikes: KirkLee, Orbea Orca, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised they didn't go Mythbusters style and see how fast he could really go.

It looked like they were using one of the new Polar CS models. Maybe the CS400.
Old 06-07-07, 07:40 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
What a low tech setup. I can't believe they didn't use a power meter.
Old 06-07-07, 07:52 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 1,339 Times in 733 Posts
Originally Posted by EricDJ
Then they wanted to see whether a blowing rig tire could kill a person...Tire blow only worked when tire was thrown back into a person, not blowing next to them.

When I was an undergrad (this is going back nearly 30 years now) one of my professors had done a stint in the Army as a truck mechanic. He claimed that one of the more dangerous jobs in that line of work was mounting & inflating truck tires on the two-piece wheels that they used. Apparently the inner & outer half of the wheel are two separate pieces held together by the resistance provided by the inflated tire...and that if the two halves somehow become disengaged while the tire is up to full pressure, the results can be catastrophic. I don't know the details, so perhaps anyone familiar w/ truck wheels can elaborate.

But the thing he said that really caught my attention was this: That should that catastrophic wheel-separation-under-pressure occur, it would do so with such explosive force "that it could launch a 16lb bowling ball over 1 mile into the air." He stated this not as hyperbole, but as a literal consequence of the disaster.

To this day, when I think about that statement I have to wonder "How does he know?"

Now, based on the other folks I've met who spent time in the armed forces, I wouldn't put it past these guys to have come to this conclusion empirically. But if MythBusters ever runs out of things to debunk...
Old 06-07-07, 08:15 AM
GA_Roadbkr
niiiiice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plausible
Hmm, just like gravity is plausible.....
Old 06-07-07, 09:29 AM
probable556
pedal head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone else think drafting a truck would be fun? I catch drafts from cars sometimes, but that big truck can really pull.
Old 06-07-07, 09:44 AM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by probable556
Does anyone else think drafting a truck would be fun? I catch drafts from cars sometimes, but that big truck can really pull.
I've done it. I once destroyed my front wheel drafting a bus - There was a metal grate in the middle of the street that was raised about an inch or two above the ground. I couldn't see it until it was too late (since ya know, it was under the bus until right before I hit it). I didn't go down and managed to bang my wheel around until it was rideable again.

I DO NOT REGRETS IT!
Old 06-07-07, 10:13 AM
daz-o-matic

Bikes: 1997 Norco Nitro, 2007 Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was an undergrad (this is going back nearly 30 years now) one of my professors had done a stint in the Army as a truck mechanic. He claimed that one of the more dangerous jobs in that line of work was mounting & inflating truck tires on the two-piece wheels that they used. Apparently the inner & outer half of the wheel are two separate pieces held together by the resistance provided by the inflated tire...and that if the two halves somehow become disengaged while the tire is up to full pressure, the results can be catastrophic. I don't know the details, so perhaps anyone familiar w/ truck wheels can elaborate.
When I was a kid growing up in small-town Saskatchewan, my Dad owned/operated a small trucking company. The drivers used to repair thier own tires, and I can recall them securing a couple lengths of chain around the tire and rim when they inflated it - in case the split rim came apart.
I was in the shop with my Dad one day when one of the drivers decided to forego the safety chain - his reasoning was that "I do this all the time and they never blow apart". Well, Murphy's law prevailed...the split ring blew off the rim, hit the ceiling (left a perfect ring-sized dent) and landed back on the tire. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. Scared the crap out of the driver, and me being a little kid, I thought it was cool as hell.
After that, the safety chain became company policy rather than just a good idea That, and us kids got shooed out of the shop when the guys were fixing tires.

I've seen big, heavy tire-sized cages designed for this - if it comes apart while inflating, everything stays in the cage.
Old 06-07-07, 10:14 AM
DocRay

Originally Posted by FigBug
Air is a myth. I can't see it. It ain't there. Scientists collaborating with the Govment.

Old 06-07-07, 10:31 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by probable556
absolutely. I do it most chances I get. Got in behind a gravel truck yesterday. A little bit dangerous but a great workout. (sit in the draft at speed, then come out and pass the truck, repeat).
Old 06-07-07, 11:05 AM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone else not seeing the video? i can't see it when i click on the link.

EDIT: ok i dug a little more and found it

Last edited by krazyderek; 06-07-07 at 11:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.