Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Commuter Advice

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New Commuter Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 04:07 PM
JandersUF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Commuter Advice

Hey all,
I am relatively new to cycling (about 6mo into it). I have a nice entry-level Specialized Allez that I love to ride when i get the chance. I've just moved, and now I'm looking to commute by bicycle. I'm looking for some advice on the type of bike I should get, and any suggestions to save cash (I'm a bit low for the next couple of months). Here are the facts:

(1) I'm living in Boston (specifically in Brookline). So I need something cold-snow ridable. I'm from Florida and I don't know anything about this cold stuff.
(2) My main commute to work is only about 2-3 miles each way(though occasionally I will ride about 6-7 to a different location... this will be rarely, less than 1mo out of the year). I would also like to be able to take the bike by the grocery or drug store etc on the way home. But probably no more of 10 miles total in one day. A short distance commuter... I know I could just walk, but I like riding bikes and it will save me a few precious minutes each day.
(3) Like I alluded to, I'd like to be able to cart home a few groceries or like-sized items on it.
(4) I'm quite comfortable and enjoy drop handle-bars and a roadbike geometry, but would be ok with anything.

Soo... all that considered.... what is my best bet? Should I go for a cheapish mountain bike and throw a rack/fenders on it? Keep perusing craigslist for an older road bike that is cheap? Find a hybrid somewhere? Any specific suggestions on quality-for-the-value racks/fenders?

Anyway, I know my question is a bit difficult to answer, but I thank you for any insight you can give!
Old 06-12-07, 04:24 PM
HoustonGal

Bikes: Liv Vall E+

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
My vote would be an older mountain bike with a solid front fork. You don't need a shock. It will probably be less squirrely than a road bike when fully loaded with groceries. Alternatively, if you can lay your hands on a nice older touring road bike that would be good too. But it will probably be easier for you to find an old mountain bike (e.g. a Specialized Rockhopper or a Trek 850). Put slicks on it if you want, and add any of the cheaper racks available from Nashbar (they're all rated to 40 lbs anyway) - SKS or Planet Bike fenders are reasonably priced and work fine.

If you have a bit more of a budget, the Kona Smoke is an awesome mountain bike based commuter for not a lot of cash.
Old 06-12-07, 04:31 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by HoustonGal
My vote would be an older mountain bike with a solid front fork. You don't need a shock. It will probably be less squirrely than a road bike when fully loaded with groceries. Alternatively, if you can lay your hands on a nice older touring road bike that would be good too. But it will probably be easier for you to find an old mountain bike (e.g. a Specialized Rockhopper or a Trek 850). Put slicks on it if you want, and add any of the cheaper racks available from Nashbar (they're all rated to 40 lbs anyway) - SKS or Planet Bike fenders are reasonably priced and work fine.

If you have a bit more of a budget, the Kona Smoke is an awesome mountain bike based commuter for not a lot of cash.
Seconded. Ride it around for a couple years, figure what you do/don't like, then get that for your next bike, if needed...
Old 06-12-07, 07:59 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Kona Smoke's a pretty decent value. For $500, you could get a cro-mo mtb frame outfitted for commuter duty w/ fenders, chainguard, light tread tires and a horn plus U and chain locks. Add on a rack, some baskets or panniers and you got a grocery hauler. Kickstand is extra.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 06-12-07, 08:25 PM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I rode in snow, I ran the most aggressive front time I could find. The rear was some sort of hybrid tire, whatever came with the bike IIRC. Not all that aggressive; but I didn't need much: I rode pretty much on the saddle, plus a few pounds of stuff on the back (see next) made for a light front end. I never got around to trying studded tires, figured the weather wasn't that bad.

I ran a large milk crate on the back of the bike. 6 gallon milk crate. Awesome for carrying stuff, it was like a pickup-bike. I recently weighed it, and it was 39lbs, with lock and all (although minus the cheap lights that I used to run). I couldn't stand biking with a backpack. Anyhow, large crate, easy to pack, although I recall a few times carrying groceries on the handle bars (not recommend btw). I had to use a 1x4 board under the crate, and zip ties to hold it together.

I tried using some heavy duty mittens, but found my fingers got too cold. I then took some old grocery bags--plastic--and put them over the bar ends, using nothing but electrical tape. Hard to explain, but I was copying something I saw once on a different bike. Basically, my hands slipped into the bag, which was taped over the handle bars. I necked down the bag, so my hands came in and out easily, but not so large as to defeat the purpose. I recall having to tape both on both sides of the handlebar grips. Oh, and I used Shop and Save bags, not the flimsy Walmart jobbies. All this to keep any and all airflow away from my hands, as I don't seem to have very good circulation to my fingers. After this, I could get my fingers to sweat using light gloves in 20F weather.

I did this on a non-suspension mountain bike. YMMV. Oh, and fenders are very nice to have.
Old 06-12-07, 10:11 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider a Breezer or similar bike (REI Novara or Electra Amsterdam are other common types). The bike is a utility style bike with a mountain bike heritage. It is comfy and great for shopping and carrying gear. Lights, fenders, wide tires, chainguard, and a fun, quick ride with internal gear hub transmission, which is perfect for city riding. I rode it all winter with studs and it worked great.

It is nice having a bike with high quality components design to fit the bike you have. Sometimes, the accessories you by to outfit it the way you want look a little out of place, if you know what I mean.

My commute is roughly 13 miles round trip per day, but varies from 9 to 18. It's no problem.
Old 06-13-07, 04:25 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Check out the Surly Cross Check. Those of us who use it for commuting universally love it. It has near road-bike geometry, but it can take a rack, fenders, and fat tires. I think the Cross Check Complete is still under $1K, but I'm not sure.

I think the best bang for the budget buck is a hard tail MTB. I commuted on one for years before I got m Surly. Shocks add weight, cost and complexity without enough benefit in return.
Old 06-13-07, 07:07 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JandersUF
Hey all,
I am relatively new to cycling (about 6mo into it). I have a nice entry-level Specialized Allez that I love to ride when i get the chance. I've just moved, and now I'm looking to commute by bicycle. I'm looking for some advice on the type of bike I should get, and any suggestions to save cash (I'm a bit low for the next couple of months). Here are the facts:

(1) I'm living in Boston (specifically in Brookline). So I need something cold-snow ridable. I'm from Florida and I don't know anything about this cold stuff.
(2) My main commute to work is only about 2-3 miles each way(though occasionally I will ride about 6-7 to a different location... this will be rarely, less than 1mo out of the year). I would also like to be able to take the bike by the grocery or drug store etc on the way home. But probably no more of 10 miles total in one day. A short distance commuter... I know I could just walk, but I like riding bikes and it will save me a few precious minutes each day.
(3) Like I alluded to, I'd like to be able to cart home a few groceries or like-sized items on it.
(4) I'm quite comfortable and enjoy drop handle-bars and a roadbike geometry, but would be ok with anything.

Soo... all that considered.... what is my best bet? Should I go for a cheapish mountain bike and throw a rack/fenders on it? Keep perusing craigslist for an older road bike that is cheap? Find a hybrid somewhere? Any specific suggestions on quality-for-the-value racks/fenders?

Anyway, I know my question is a bit difficult to answer, but I thank you for any insight you can give!
if you are on a budget, you can get a dawes lightning sport off of ebay... its a road bike but its a chro molly frame with 700x25c tires. look for a seller named "chicabike"...

she has quite a good feedback rating (including mine...)
Old 06-13-07, 08:43 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I don't like to commute on ice, but occasionally I've been caught in it. I certainly found my beater mountain bike with 2" knobbies to be far more secure on ice than my old tour bike with 1 1/4" tires. I won't take the tour bike out again if there's a risk of snow or freezing rain.

And I use platform pedals in winter so I can accomodate any footwear and have no worries about getting a foot down. You fall faster on ice than on pavement, since the bike skids out from under you rather than tipping over.
Old 06-13-07, 11:48 AM
beat.tk
weakling

Bikes: giant ocr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, a mountain bike with good brakes.
My main suggestion is to plan your route carefully to avoid dangerous traffic.
Cyclists die in Boston.
https://www.bostonnow.com/news/local/...yclist_deaths/
Also, bike theft is common, even in nice neighborhoods.

Last edited by beat.tk; 06-13-07 at 12:13 PM.