Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for the ladies

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question for the ladies

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07, 02:24 PM
blonduathlongrl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question for the ladies

Just wondering what kind of riding you ladies do and what your goals are for this year.We hear quite often about the men in here but rarely about us woman, so here goes.

How often do you get out there and what kind of milage do you put in? Have you accomplished your goals or getting close to it? what are your goals?

I ride just about everyday, anywhere from 25 to 50.

My goal was to do better in racing this year and so far I have!

Just want to stay healty and strong and Im happy to report that I have seem to have gotten stronger as I got older
Old 07-09-07, 02:33 PM
indygreg
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hoping for something more private or dirty in this thread.
Old 07-09-07, 02:37 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to do longer rides - under 50 miles isn't worth getting sweaty for! I might wanna try to do 4 centuries in September, including two over Labor Day weekend. (Did them last year and enjoyed both of them.) I just did Ride the Rockies for the third year, and a 120-mile ride the following weekend. Good stuff!

Edit: Make that 5 centuries in September: One Love, Share the Road, Wilson 100, Beautiful Backroads and 6-Gap. Fun!
Old 07-09-07, 02:38 PM
aprilm
Bring May Flowers

Bikes: '10 Kuota Kebel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey BDG! Seriously, I need to be working, but oh well.

I do mountain biking and road riding; just started this year, so my goals aren't too high... my goal is to ride 50 miles by the end of fall. I can easily put in 20 miles, and I went on my first group ride Saturday. I had a BLAST!!! And the time went by so quickly. I'm starting to think I should either change or add another goal in there regarding average speed or top speed that I can maintain on the flats (without a tailwind ). My average is pretty low, but I AM getting faster. I ride almost every day, normally around 15-20 miles, sometimes both my mtb and road bike in a day.
Old 07-09-07, 02:39 PM
aprilm
Bring May Flowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indygreg
We save that for the Women's forum.
Old 07-09-07, 02:43 PM
snowy
Beauty Everywhere

Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YIPPIE the ladies are in the house

I ride both road and mountain about 140+ miles a week.

I have my big, big ROAD RIDE on Saturday. Its the Triple By-Pass. Its 120road ride over 3 mountain passes.
This is what I have been training for since February. This year is the first year I have felt like SUPER A. on my bike HEE HEE.
Lost 15lbs and feeling pretty amazing!!! So yes, I have met my goals.

After my ride I'm headed to the hills for some camping and mountain biking in Crested Butte, Colorado for some much needed fun and relaxing.

Can't wait to hear about other adventures for the ladies

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.
dogpound
1 trick pony

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indygreg

hhhmm, and it's a surprise so few women are here.
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aprilm
We save that for the Women's forum.

sign me up. what's the fee?
Old 07-09-07, 02:47 PM
beat.tk
weakling

Bikes: giant ocr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides just wanting to feel strong and healthy!, my goal is to do a century in September.
I'm a lot closer to this goal than I was last week.
Since then, I have spent $200 on bike related stuff, and nothing motivates me quite like needing to justify a shopping spree.
Clandestinely, I am slowly working toward another goal.
To convince my boyfriend that road biking is a legitimate activity for men.

Last edited by beat.tk; 07-09-07 at 02:52 PM.
snowy
Beauty Everywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
I like to do longer rides - under 50 miles isn't worth getting sweaty for! I might wanna try to do 4 centuries in September, including two over Labor Day weekend. (Did them last year and enjoyed both of them.) I just did Ride the Rockies for the third year, and a 120-mile ride the following weekend. Good stuff!

Edit: Make that 5 centuries in September: One Love, Share the Road, Wilson 100, Beautiful Backroads and 6-Gap. Fun!

Hey Pedal Wench how was ride the rockies??

ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does one "join" the womens forum? What if I act feminine or something??
Old 07-09-07, 02:49 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I nominate Pedal Wench for the BF User Name of the Decade Trophy
Old 07-09-07, 02:49 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aprilm
Hey BDG! Seriously, I need to be working, but oh well.

I do mountain biking and road riding; just started this year, so my goals aren't too high... my goal is to ride 50 miles by the end of fall. I can easily put in 20 miles, and I went on my first group ride Saturday. I had a BLAST!!! And the time went by so quickly. I'm starting to think I should either change or add another goal in there regarding average speed or top speed that I can maintain on the flats (without a tailwind ). My average is pretty low, but I AM getting faster. I ride almost every day, normally around 15-20 miles, sometimes both my mtb and road bike in a day.

50 miles wont be a problem for you now. Keep it up.
Old 07-09-07, 02:55 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
I nominate Pedal Wench for the BF User Name of the Decade Trophy
Gee, thanks!

Ride The Rockies was incredible!!! Great route - first time up in the Steamboat/Craig part of the state. Liked it up there, but the highlights were the ride up Independence Pass and Turquoise Lake around Leadville. Loved it up there! Oh - our picture was in the Denver Post on Day 6! I was really worried since I was in that crash just two weeks before (pile-up in a group ride), but it wasn't much of a problem. Only hurt when I coughed. Or sneezed. Or laughed. Really not a problem at all!
Old 07-09-07, 02:57 PM
snowy
Beauty Everywhere

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
Gee, thanks!

Ride The Rockies was incredible!!! Great route - first time up in the Steamboat/Craig part of the state. Liked it up there, but the highlights were the ride up Independence Pass and Turquoise Lake around Leadville. Loved it up there! Oh - our picture was in the Denver Post on Day 6! I was really worried since I was in that crash just two weeks before (pile-up in a group ride), but it wasn't much of a problem. Only hurt when I coughed. Or sneezed. Or laughed. Really not a problem at all!

I didn't hear about the crash, wow sorry about that. Well I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. I'm always thinking about you when June rolls around

Old 07-09-07, 03:04 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,310 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by 55-11
It involves Dr. Pete, a cog wrench, a chain breaker, and some ProLink gold.

That's a price I'm not willing to pay....

Old 07-09-07, 03:05 PM
Pedal Wench

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Snowy! Yeah, we were in a rather organized double paceline, and a rider about 4 up from me missed an upcoming turn, ran into the wheel in front and went down. The four of us behind didn't stand a chance. Good news was that except for a derailleur cable, the bike was fine!

Let us all know how the Triple Bypass goes! Maybe next year I'll join ya!
Old 07-09-07, 03:28 PM
aprilm
Bring May Flowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55-11
Hmmm... what does a sex change go for these days?

Edit: damn, psimet beat me to the punch.
Old 07-09-07, 03:32 PM
aprilm
Bring May Flowers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigSean
50 miles wont be a problem for you now. Keep it up.
Thanks for the encouragement... when I started, I didn't think I'd be able to make that goal, but I'm pretty sure it's doable.
Old 07-09-07, 03:44 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am hoping to average 150-200mi / week by the end of the summer. Not too many big goals for this year. Maybe try one CX race in the fall.
Old 07-09-07, 03:58 PM
velomedieval
Spandex Disaster

Bikes: Scott Contessa CR1 (2006); Kona Dew Deluxe (2005); Roadmaster Little 500 SS (1997); Peugeot UO10 (1980)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm not doing the commuting/errand type of utilitarian cycling, I'm on a road bike. I'd like to be a stronger rider, but I'm also trying not to lose my love of riding by pushing myself to failure every single ride. I've lost the love a bit, but last week I put in 140 very enjoyable solo miles and wouldn't mind doing something similar this week. My goal for the year is 5,000 miles, but if I can do 4,000 I'll be content.
Old 07-09-07, 04:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
I posted these goals in the General Discussion forum back in January I believe. So I'll post them here with an update.

1) Super Randonneur series (200K, 300K, 400K, and 600K) -- DONE!
2) This year, I need to design local 400K and 600K routes to add to the Alberta Randonneur calendar. That should be interesting. There are some very specific rules to follow for route designing, and then there are many things which appear on most randonneurs' wish lists. -- DONE!
3) Paris-Brest-Paris ... https://www.audax-club-parisien.com/ -- This is in August so I haven't done it yet.
4) 10,000 kms or more -- Still working on this, not sure if I'm going to make it.
5) Centuries ... this one I'm still debating about. I may decide to do a third year of centuries each month, or I may decide to aim for a certain number of centuries for the year, or both. I'm also tempted by the idea of doing a non-stop century or perhaps a trainer century. -- I've done a whole heap of centuries this year (I've lost count, I'd have to check my log) but I decided I would not do a century each month. Still considering the other goals there though!
6) Touring ... I'd like to do a bit more touring in 2007 than I did in 2006. There's a local 3 day tour in the mountains in May which is one possibility. And if possible it would be great to do some touring in France and maybe other parts of Europe. -- I did the 3-day tour in May and plans have been made to do some touring in Europe in August.
7) More roads ... I've covered most, but not quite all, of the paved roads within about a 50 mile radius of where I live. I'd like to ride the rest of them, and then perhaps start exploring futher out. -- I've ridden a lot more roads, but just discovered another one a few days ago which I need to explore.
8) 24-hour race ... I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to afford the time and expense of getting to a 24-hour race this year, but I'd like to try. I wish there was a local one!! -- Sadly, I can't afford to do this.
9) Something different ... the UMCA has all sorts of challenges, one of which is a cross state or province challenge: https://www.ultracycling.com/ , then the Perimeter organization has around-the-state/city/island/whatever challenges https://www.pbaa.com/Home.html -- I haven't done anything like this yet, but it is still in the back of my mind.
10) And if I'm not working when they hold their rides this coming summer, I may try to do some riding with the local club ... I need motivation to add intensity to my rides. -- Well, I've done some riding with a not-so-local club and have really enjoyed it.

In addition to all of this, I've got an on-going goal of riding in all the provinces in Canada, all the states in Australia, all the states in the US, and as many other countries as possible. I've made quite a bit of progress on it. I'm halfway for Canada, over halfway for Australia, and nearly halfway for the US. I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen this year, but if all goes well, I might be able to add an extra US state, and possibly another country or two. -- I haven't added any new ones to my collection yet this year, but I did get to cycle on Vancouver Island in April which I have wanted to do for some time.
Old 07-09-07, 04:14 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Matchka, what happened to that 1k mile week you were talking about oh so long ago?...
Old 07-09-07, 04:32 PM
momof4greatkids

Bikes: Serotta Fierte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm impressed w/the goals attained!

My goals are more modest than many stated thus far, but this is my first year cycling. My aim was to ride 2500 miles for the year, and I met my goal in late June.

I am rewarding myself w/a new bike a Serotta Fierte, steel frame in "moto yellow".....unfortunately it's backordered until late August. Good things are worth waiting for, though.

Colleen
Old 07-09-07, 04:39 PM
valleygirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My yearly goal is coming up this weekend , the Death Ride. It takes place in the Sierras with lots of climbing and 125 miles. According to the statistics this will be my hardest ride yet. I'm worried, but I'm signed up for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.