Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Why ride a single speed?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why ride a single speed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 04:38 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why ride a single speed?

Hello,
I have a friend selling a KHS that he converted to a single speed, but before I do, I'm curious - what is the attraction to single speeds? I ride a geared road bike right now and love it, but I'd like to try a SS to see if it's for me... Why do you all ride them? Just for the simplicity? More challenging?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 07-10-07, 04:38 PM
babychris
sharkfin.

Bikes: davidson track. landshark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why not?
Old 07-10-07, 04:42 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When you have only one gear, you learn to focus more on the "engine" rather than the "transmission." That makes you faster. Having a fixed gear bike enhances this effect because when you can't coast you don't coast. And when you don't coast, you go faster.
Old 07-10-07, 04:42 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because gears make my life so much easier :-)
Old 07-10-07, 04:43 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
yeah, cause, in life, easy things are more satisfying.
Old 07-10-07, 04:55 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Face it, the #1 reason people ride fixed gear here because its the hipster thing to do.
Old 07-10-07, 04:57 PM
Dumpsterlife
is probably wrong

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC, Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Face it, the #1 reason people ride fixed gear here because its the hipster thing to do.
I'm surprised the thread lasted this long without it...
Old 07-10-07, 05:00 PM
zippered
Spazzy Member

Bikes: '05 marinoni delta, '86/87 bianchi sport s(e)x, ? kona ?, raleigh '71, specialized crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you only need one!

the rest just add cost/weight/maintenance/clutter/distraction.

i guess you don't have to worry so much about ice and snow however...
Old 07-10-07, 05:08 PM
dijos
Walks with a limp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's flat where I live. If I lived among crazy hills, I would ride geared.
Old 07-10-07, 05:13 PM
pedex
Banned

Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Sheot, if I didn't sling pkgs for a living I guarantee I wouldn't ride fixed or SS, why people wanna emulate us messengers I don't have a clue, but they do. If I worked in an arid climate I probably wouldn't ride fixed or SS either, but I work where it rains and snows so fixed is the best way to go for me anyway.

Last edited by pedex; 07-10-07 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 06:08 PM
moki

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
chixdiggit.
Old 07-10-07, 06:11 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to ride single speed bikes as a change up from my primary multi-speed bike. It provides some variety. That said, when I want to put on miles I go for derailleurs.
Old 07-10-07, 06:13 PM
Pfutz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fixed gears are for jerks and lesbians
Old 07-10-07, 06:13 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

i didn't know about "hipsters" when i got a fix. a guy i know had one, it seemed rad, i found sheldonbrown... so i bought a disgusting conversion and started biking a lot. what appealed to me was the simplicity - i come from the hammer and duct-tape school of bike mechanics - and the affordability. and i found it was way more fun and efficient than shifting all the time.

now, why somebody would exclusively ride fixed is another, and i think far more interesting question.
Old 07-10-07, 06:23 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it makes me feel like a big man
Old 07-10-07, 06:24 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

i like your style. can you swing a sack full of doorknobs?
Old 07-10-07, 06:27 PM
fetch
harrospokes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
it makes me feel like a big man
+1 keeping it real doesnt go wrong with a fixie
Old 07-10-07, 06:45 PM
eMwolB
Tri Fixed Road

Bikes: Litespeed, Kestrel, KHS, Pinarello, GT, Mustang, Giant

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm over 40 years old and have been riding all my life. I own several bikes. Road, mountain, hybrid, folding, etc.
About a year ago I saw an ad on Craigslist for a "track-bike". I said, "hey, I don't have one of these!"
I called the seller, hopped in a cab uptown, saw the bike, let him hold the cash while I took it on a ride up & down the block. (first time on a FG) I came back after the test ride, shook his hand and said "keep the cash, I'm riding this thing home."
I absolutely love the simplicity and control...I haven't touched the other bikes since.
I"ve ridden the bike to work in a suit on many occasions. Living in NYC, I have had the best time pulling along side messengers while ripping thru traffic on a fixed gear with my tie flapping in the air behind me...the looks are priceless!!!!!!!! And so is the grin on my face when I ride this thing.
Old 07-10-07, 06:54 PM
dblock
i read this at work

Bikes: IRO BFSSFG group buy, 2007 tommaso trascinare road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eMwolB
I'm over 40 years old and have been riding all my life. I own several bikes. Road, mountain, hybrid, folding, etc.
About a year ago I saw an ad on Craigslist for a "track-bike". I said, "hey, I don't have one of these!"
I called the seller, hopped in a cab uptown, saw the bike, let him hold the cash while I took it on a ride up & down the block. (first time on a FG) I came back after the test ride, shook his hand and said "keep the cash, I'm riding this thing home."
I absolutely love the simplicity and control...I haven't touched the other bikes since.
I"ve ridden the bike to work in a suit on many occasions. Living in NYC, I have had the best time pulling along side messengers while ripping thru traffic on a fixed gear with my tie flapping in the air behind me...the looks are priceless!!!!!!!! And so is the grin on my face when I ride this thing.

he wins.
Old 07-10-07, 06:54 PM
MIN 
big ring

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FIXED.

I ride it for training because my road bike is too easy to pedal around. Seriously, two weeks on the new fixed gear and I am stronger than ever. I did a roadie group ride yesterday and I was shocked how much stronger I was - especially on hills since I got used to pedalling a track gear setup.

I did about 100 miles/week for the last couple of weeks on the fixed with lots of hills, for your reference.
Old 07-10-07, 06:58 PM
buelito
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you gotta ask, you don't understand--

fixed is the way to go-

train safe-
Old 07-10-07, 07:23 PM
Moto-Velo
Seņor Member

Bikes: Rivendell Rambouillet, GT Lightning, Bridgestone RB-2, Johnny Coast Track, Sekine Medialle SHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned that there is a big difference between a single speed and a fixed? People are talking about both, but does the OP know the difference?
Old 07-10-07, 08:23 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah - the bike I'm looking at is a single speed... I'm just not "a big man" I guess, so no fixie for now. I have friends that ride fixies, but I'm not there yet.
Old 07-10-07, 09:10 PM
nexus6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eMwolB
DITTO... except I live elsewhere and don't wear a tie to work.
Old 07-10-07, 09:19 PM
jpearl
Rabbinic Authority

Bikes: Cannondale Cyclocross, Specialized Langster, Giant TCR-C2 Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's why I like my singlespeed:

- Riding in any weather, any conditions, and all I have to do at the end is towel dry the bike. Not having to worry about fouling up gears and cables allows me to relax and do the kind of "beat the hell outta the bike" that geared riders would be hesitant to do.

- There's not much that can compare to the silky-smooth pedal stroke that comes from a straight chainline.

- Great training and conditioning. Pedaling a singlespeed (not fixed) forces me to ride the gear that I'm in, to be creative and adaptive with my pedaling style and technique for different riding situations.

- The action-adventure-survival aspect of having to get through everything with just one gear; it adds a whole new dimension to riding.

- Chicks do in fact, dig it, or at least in my mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.