Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting my first bike, need help/advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 01:32 AM
freefree113

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay,

I'm looking for a first road bike under $1500, one I could race at the collegiate level. The first bike the LBS put me on was a 2006 Allez Comp Triple, I loved it, but I think I might like a little too much because 1) the salesperson did a very nice job trying to sell it to me 2) it was the first bike I tried out. The Allez has an an E5 Aerotech frame with carbon fork/seat say and full 105. LBS wants $1399.

I went in to the LBS again today, tried out a 2007 Trek 1500 Stock (Ultegra/105 mix I think), felt okay, thought not as nice as the Allez. Store was asking $999 for it. I don't think I'm interested in the 1500, because I really would like the carbon seat stay. On the other hand, they had a 2007 Trek 2200 for the same price as the Allez, full Mostly ultegra (one 105 component), carbon seat stay/fork, and a 2007 Trek 2300 for only 50 bucks more, full ultegra. The salesperson said they had the same geometry as the 1500, but I didn't get the chance to ride them, so when I'm thinking about "fit" for these bikes I'm actually thinking about my ride on the 1500, which I believe is a slight downgrade from the Allez Comp. I would feel sort of bad asking the LBS to allow me to keep trying out these bikes, I think they are used to customers trying something once/twice/buying.

As for "Fit", well, the Allez and the 1500 felt different, but I didn't really feel like one was noticeably more comfortable than the other, and any difference could have just been a change in seat position. I'm pretty young (18), so I'm wondering if I can get away with a wider range of geometries? If not, what should I be looking for? Should I take a spin on the 2200 and 2300? I'd would really like to get the "perfect bike", and as someone living on a college student budget, I don't have the luxury of being an impulsive buyer.

Frankly, I think the Trek might be what I want. The salesperson seemed a bit too keen on getting the Allez out of the shop (possibly because '08s are coming out soon and they'd have to mark it down further?) The Trek 2200 and 2300 also look better on paper-- similar frame as the Allez, but with better components (Full/Near Full Ultegra vs. Full 105), only minus might be the wheels/bontrager parts.

Sorry for the length, but as you can see, I really want a bike ASAP, but have to fight off the urge of falling in love before I can get a more informed perspective. Thank you so much!
Old 07-11-07, 04:55 AM
float

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride as many bikes as you want. Who cares if the LBS is annoyed? It's about getting the right bike with the right fit. And they're gonna get your money either way, so every LBS I went to when looking for my first bike gladly let me ride whatever they had in my size and price range if i asked.
Old 07-11-07, 05:58 AM
wardie

Bikes: Giant OCR 3, Kubachi, Trek 820, Iron Horse Trail, 74 Schwinn LeTour, 95 Schwinn LeTour, Ross Euro Tour, Miayata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look at the Giant brand of bikes. Generally you get better groupo for the same amount of money as you would've with another brand. I just started last year and purchased a Giant OCR 3. I couldn't of been happier with my selection. That bike has done double centurys back to back, three road races, a 6 day tour and some overnight mini tours. This year I've upgraded to newer wheels, 9 speeds and a FSA Gossamer crank with Mega Exo bottom bracket. I still have a lot less money in the bike than if I would've purchased it new that way. Just my impression but I don't think I could've done better. Wardie
Old 07-11-07, 06:45 AM
beat.tk
weakling

Bikes: giant ocr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you need the bike ASAP?
Slow down, guy.
Are you in Boston?
Sounds like you've only been to one bike shop.
What about the other dozen bike shops?
If you really want the perfect bike, then you need to do some research.
What yr measurements are and all.
Just cuz you're young doesn't mean your body will flex to fit any old bike.
Are you new to road biking?
Rent a bike for a weekend or two so you have some idea what to look for in comfort.
And talk to people on the cycling team at yr school!

Oh whatever, just go buy that Trek 2200.
If you decide it's not really what you want, I'm sure you can sell it on craigslist.

Last edited by beat.tk; 07-11-07 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-11-07, 06:57 AM
dekindy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to RoadBikeReview.com and reviews selection and road bikes. Just start reading about bikes and educating yourself.
Old 07-11-07, 09:50 AM
Adgooroo

Bikes: 531 steel frame Peugeot (20 yrs old) and 2005 Tommaso AS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP - you've seen some great bikes - In this price range the competition is pretty keen, so the value among the big brand names is good. If you have established a price range, I think your main determiner should be fit.
Old 07-11-07, 09:57 AM
jschatz

Bikes: Trek 2300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a double crankset, not a triple, if you're planning on racing.