Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Short Earbud

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Short Earbud

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-07, 07:39 AM
MIkej2244

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short Earbud

At the risk of starting yet another thread full of arguments over riding with music, I have a question. Yes, when I am riding on my own, without a group, I wear an ipod with only one earphone in on my outside ear. I can still hear traffic on my inside ear and do not feel it is dangerous. Lets try not to argue about that.

Anyhow, I was wondering is anyone has found a really short single earbud. My standard ipod earbuds are about 4 feet long and with my Ipod shuffle I clip it to my helmet in the back and all that extra cord is just in the way. I am looking for a 6 or 8 inch earbud. I had an extra one so I took it apart and tried to cut out a section but the wire was so fine I never could get a good solder on it to make it work. Was looking to just buy one if they make them.
Old 07-11-07, 07:41 AM
lvleph
Should be out Riding

Bikes: Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Try this place.
https://www.theistore.com/
Old 07-11-07, 07:57 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a nano and it has same insanely long cord. I wind it once around my nano on the armband I use. Don't know if the small shuffle can do the same.
Old 07-11-07, 08:08 AM
adam

Bikes: Cervelo, Pinarello, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
why not clip the shuffle to your sleeve, or bottom of your shirt, and run the bud cable under your jersey, keeping the slack tucked away?

that's what I do when i ride with my shuffle.
Moi aussi.

Attach shuffle to sleeve, run the wires under the jersey with a ear bud in the right ear. Allows you to change the volume and/or songs as well just be reaching over to your arm, rather than fiddling with anything on your helmet.
Old 07-11-07, 08:18 AM
tbdean

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adam
Attach shuffle to sleeve, run the wires under the jersey with a ear bud in the right ear. Allows you to change the volume and/or songs as well just be reaching over to your arm, rather than fiddling with anything on your helmet.
Exactly what I do. It'd still be nice to have a slightly shorter cable. I'd suggest finding a friend with better soldering skills then you.

Occasionally I get too little slack going from my jersey to my ear and I have to kinda pull up with my head. I'd thought about a wireless headphone, but it'd need to be: cheap, light, mono (not stereo), completely waterproof - like the current setup.
Old 07-11-07, 10:40 AM
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why not clip the shuffle to your sleeve, or bottom of your shirt, and run the bud cable under your jersey, keeping the slack tucked away?

+1
Old 07-11-07, 11:19 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,310 Times in 563 Posts
I attach my shuffle to my collar and feed the extra cord and extra bud down the back of the jersey. I loop the one bud I use once around the heltmet strap near my ear. Everything stays put pretty well.

Nice thing about looping the bud on the strap at the ear is that I can yank it out quickly if conditions get dicey, and the setup still stays in place.

I have bad hearing anyway (thank you industrial revolution), so one bud is for me. I listen to podcasts too instead of music so it's really just like riding along while having a conversation.

Old 07-11-07, 11:36 AM
fifthcircle
Huge Memeber

Bikes: Gary Fisher Cobia, Lemond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about a Bluetooth headset? Then plug the shuffle into the blurtooth adapter and stick it wherever you want
Old 07-11-07, 11:38 AM
Barca
Chelsea FC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's what I do. Until I accidently washed the jersey with ipod attached
Old 07-11-07, 11:54 AM
AGGRO
Mistadobalina

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept Flo wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I attach mine to my jersey zipper hole with a small wire. Works great just be sure you have a water proof one if you sweat a lot.