Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Redline Bicycles 925

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Redline Bicycles 925

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 12:28 PM
chivespa1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks cheap

Wow I'm thinking how glad I am that I bought a first run 925. I love my m'bars (I know I'm in the minority on that) so I'm sad to see those go. The paint looks terrible - in theory it could look good but yet again there are redline stickers all over everything and the font used on the white sections is too modern too look right on that paint scheme. I do like the chainring guard instead of the big chain guard that no one is using. Something I wish I had mentioned earlier in this thread was that the eyelets at the rear track end should be raised some or a second set added because you end up with a lot on a single bolt if you use both a rear rack (mine has a basket) and a mudguard. This is primarily an issue with the track ends and everything sort of getting in the way of each other.

Hopefully the hardware isn't insta-rust like the first run bikes and they upgraded the spokes.
Old 06-26-07, 11:08 PM
odie91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know what diameter seat post the 2007 model uses?
Old 06-27-07, 05:01 AM
mykrrrr
o harro buttercup

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Sting Ray Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chivespa1
Wow I'm thinking how glad I am that I bought a first run 925. I love my m'bars (I know I'm in the minority on that) so I'm sad to see those go. The paint looks terrible - in theory it could look good but yet again there are redline stickers all over everything and the font used on the white sections is too modern too look right on that paint scheme. I do like the chainring guard instead of the big chain guard that no one is using. Something I wish I had mentioned earlier in this thread was that the eyelets at the rear track end should be raised some or a second set added because you end up with a lot on a single bolt if you use both a rear rack (mine has a basket) and a mudguard. This is primarily an issue with the track ends and everything sort of getting in the way of each other.

Hopefully the hardware isn't insta-rust like the first run bikes and they upgraded the spokes.
MILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you'd be on this forum.

I like my 925 but I wish I would bought a true track frameset...
Old 07-10-07, 09:25 PM
distanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Utility, simplicity, broken spokes

Cost ultimately tipped the scale for my decision to buy my '07 925. Seems like a lot of great products are improved after the first couple years but priced higher. I think the 925 in current form has an excellent balance of features to price. It would be sad to see that go away for a bunch of cool new features. I love the utility of this bike.

That said, I too am experiencing wheel issues (with the supposed upgraded wheels since the '06). Blowing out spokes left and right. I wholeheartedly agree with the poster who summed up all the wheel comments. This is too critical a component leave in it's current state. Would people accept an automobile that fatally breaks down every couple weeks? I've been embarassed to tell my 'skeptical of bike commuting' co-workers that I've been late so much lately due to mechanical failures. If it's truly a 9 to 5 get to work machine the wheels need to survive more than a few hundred miles.

</rant>
Old 07-11-07, 01:51 AM
audioel
Always up to no good.

Bikes: 4 junkers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline Bicycle
It's hard for me to gauge this project... originally the 925 came from my inspirations when viewing https://www.fixedgeargallery.com/ and trying to duplicate what everyone was building up in their garages from scratch. I'm getting hit hard for a canti option, of which I'm leaning to, due to popular demand (even before this thread).... I myself like the clean looks of the sidepull (front only)....
The first time I saw a 925, I thought it was one of the most elegant, sweet-looking production bikes I'd seen. When I found out how much it was, I was pleasantly surprised. When I found a 60cm used for a great price locally, I didn't even blink - I just picked it up.

I've had it for about 7 months now. It was my first non-converted SS or fixed bike. I ride about 20-30mi a day with it for getting around town, and really cant fault it.

I'm a big guy - 6'4", 310lbs. I was 400lbs one year ago, and pretty much most of that weight came off riding the 925. It's the most comfortable bike I own. I tried many saddle upgrades, but ended going back to the redline saddle. I really didn't care for the moustache bars, so I ended up swapping them out for SOMA urban pursuit bars, with tektro TT levers.

The only negative experiences I had was that the BB the bike came with wore out VERY quickly. The other problem was prob more due to my weight - but I had a lot of spoke breakage.

I replaced the wheels with a set of 36h Formulas/DP-18s, and trued them up myself. THey've been bomb-proof for over 6mos now.

My critique with the moustache bars is that they offer a few mediocre hand positions, but not many really comfortable ones. I'd prefer drops, or bullhorns (as I have on mine).

I cant understand all the people that are complaining about how this makes a crappy Cross bike. Hello! It's NOT a cross bike! Keep the cantis off, keep the frame pretty much as is. Just replace the lower quality parts with some slightly better ones, and don't mess with success!

Although, I think you guys have enough demand probably to make a SS cross bike at this point. I recently picked up a 58cm 2001 Conquest, and built it up as a SS cross/commuter for a friend. Very different bike from the 925, but very nice in its own way. He loves it, and he gets a lot of inquiries about it while riding it around town.

Originally Posted by Redline Bicycle
Shouldn't the 925 stay dedicated 120mm spaced SS/ Fixie???
HELL YES.

And finally, I have to say that I have gotten nothing except prompt, friendly support from Redline as a company, with my numerous questions and issues. Even though I bought the bike used.

Oh, couple last things - offer a slightly larger frame (62cm), and use a surly constrictor for the seatpost clamp.
Old 07-13-07, 11:08 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any info on the new model in larger sizes? For the new 2007.5 Firebrick color I see they have 44, 48, 50, 52, 54, and 56cm sizes. These can't be all the sizes. I don't mind the parts quality, I was looking at selling all the parts off and replacing them. I tiried emailing and im'ing Craig already.
Old 08-03-07, 02:55 PM
distanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheel update

Sorry if this is too far off topic, but I feel I should follow up with the outcome. Both to clarify that Redline quickly replaced my wheel once the shop requested a warranty claim, and to question the quality of the dealer.

Before the warranty the shop charged parts and labor for the first repair, did the second no charge, and third no charge. I had to really press them to waive the charges each time, though.

When they swapped in the new wheel (fully built, but wouldn't let me do it myself with my own tools) they charged me labor again. I questioned how they could charge me labor for a warranty issue, and let them know I wasn't thrilled to be paying them for my inconvenience. They said "oh yeah, huh, that'll be $XX."

A friend bought another brand of bike from a different shop. He broke some spokes, brought it back to the dealer, and they replaced the wheel with a better one on the spot - no questions asked.

Anyways, I payed and decided rather than complaining any more, I would now take my money elsewhere. I've purchased three bikes and hundreds of dollars of gear etc. from them, and this is the only issue I've ever brought to them. Stupid business. Does Redline (or bike manufacturers in general) not compensate their dealers for warranty work - like auto manufacturers pay their dealers for warranty work? Or, did my dealer double collect: what they charged me plus Redline's warranty work compensation?
Old 08-03-07, 03:03 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't have paid them a thing - not on a warranty claim.
Old 08-03-07, 03:24 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the shop should eat the cost of a simple wheel swap on a warranty, or ask Redline for some credit for the amount they would charge you.

Also, I got an '07 925 a few days ago and love it.
Old 08-04-07, 09:33 AM
mykrrrr
o harro buttercup

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Sting Ray Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the first instance of being charged for warranty work, I'd have taken my mangled warranty pieces and gone elsewhere or asked to speak to the owner and/or have them set something up w/the RL rep (if they've got outside reps.)

Thinking back, I don't think we were ever paid for warranty work. We received replacements from the manufacturer but not $$$ for doing the actual work.
Old 09-04-07, 05:18 PM
bike_ema

Bikes: Cyclocross & Schwinn 10-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to see the bike with bullhorn bars and cantilever brakes. My LBS sold out of my size in this year's model... and I'm really bummed.
Old 09-04-07, 05:50 PM
theetruscan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by audioel
The only negative experiences I had was that the BB the bike came with wore out VERY quickly. The other problem was prob more due to my weight - but I had a lot of spoke breakage.

I replaced the wheels with a set of 36h Formulas/DP-18s, and trued them up myself. THey've been bomb-proof for over 6mos now.
The wheels are ****. You're a big guy, so you hammered them out faster, but mine are losing true every few weeks after just 11 months of 20-30 mile a day low-speed commuter use. Seems to be a common complaint.
Old 09-05-07, 02:32 PM
mchean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New 2008 Redline Catalog is available in pdf format on their website: https://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/index.html
This is the link to the News page, its the first item
Old 09-05-07, 06:49 PM
sgray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Redline comments

Congrats to you for asking for suggestions -- and good luck at keeping from being overwhelmed. It must be impossible to build a production bike to meet a variety of tastes, especially when you get into an area as individual as fixed gear. Assuming the primary market is the street rider/fixed enthusiast/utility rider, if I were trying to improve appeal of this model, I would suggest:

1) replace the mustache bar with a riser stem and comfortable drop bars. This is not to say the current bar is bad in any way but that more people would be swayed by a riser/drop set-up.

2) use whatever brakes afford the most clearance for the largest potential tire (other than a true cross tire) and fenders.

3) to me, losing the space under the top tube that might carry a frame pump is off-putting but not the end of the world. (Apparently, either for liability reasons or single-speed/cross use, a rear brake is included? I assume great majority ride fixed and would do away with the brake and would like to have the bike clean of cable routing to the rear. Not going to happen, right?)

4) Put on nice toe straps or consider offering the bike without pedals so those who want clipless can go that route and those who want something else can order them.

5) Biggest single upgrade other than the bar, to me, would be to try to allay fear of the grief that goes with a flat rear tire. Spec something like Continental Contacts, velox rim strips, etc.
Old 09-06-07, 09:28 AM
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2008 925 looks good, except the sloping top tube.
Old 09-10-07, 08:03 AM
bowlon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered one 2 weeks ago from my LBS and it was a 2007. I hadn't seen the 2008 yet, and now that i have, i'm glad i got a 2007. I'm changing out the handlebars to bullhorns this week, i just can't get comfortable on the mustaches. Other than that, i love it.

The paint job on the 2008 is a little too retro for my tastes, and has "Steal Me" written all over it.

Last edited by bowlon; 09-10-07 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-10-07, 10:25 PM
wallah
Junior Mint

Bikes: Redline 925

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 925 with cut down flat bars, rear rack, clipless pedals and a brooks saddle has 1500 miles on it so far and I love it. Initially the free wheel made some noise so I switched to fixed after 60 miles and never went back to free wheelin. I weigh 175 and have had no issues with my wheels. I agree with the suggestion to do something to allow larger tires while still utilizing the fenders. Great bike at a great price
Old 09-10-07, 11:03 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by odie91
Anyone know what diameter seat post the 2007 model uses?
In case you're still wondering, it's 27.0.
Old 09-19-07, 08:20 AM
SouthernGothic

Bikes: 1970Raleigh DL1

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I wanted a 925 when I first saw them online a year ago.
Now the 2008 models are out and here are my opinions.
Although I do think the moustache bars were cool looking, I feel bullhorns are much more functional and I probably would retain those. The integrated chainring guard(if i am seeing that right in the pics) is certainly acceptable though I prefer fuller chainguards. The paint scheme is hideous!
Of all the aspects of this bike, the paint would be the hardest to change for me and a bit ludicrous to do on a brand new bike. Perhaps I can run across an older model and modify it to my ends.
Now to complain a bit: the reason I have not bought one of these is my local Redline dealer responded to my inquiry of the 925, back in June 07, with "I think I've heard of them, but we've never seen one" and they didn't seem interested in continuing the conversation after that.

Last edited by SouthernGothic; 09-19-07 at 08:21 AM. Reason: use of profanity