Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Why are so many riders getting caught this year?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 02:55 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To the doping experts. It seems we are getting a lot of positive test this year. Are riders getting dumber, or are the test becoming more accurate. I haven't read of any testing advancements.

Richard
Old 07-30-07, 03:19 PM
USAZorro
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Liked 1,142 Times in 667 Posts
If they've made testing advances, not publicizing them might be part of the strategy.
Old 07-30-07, 05:14 PM
San Rensho 

Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Because now, apparently, you don't even have to test positive to be convicted and sentenced for doping. Rasmussen did not fail any drug tests, his crime was to allegedly lie about where he was for a few days when he missed some out of race doping tests. The failure to show for the tests was not enough for him to be in violation of any doping rules, but his team, caught up in the anti-doping hysteria and whitch hunt, canned him.

Sentence first, trial later. Off with his head!

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-30-07, 05:16 PM
reef58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is not what I was referring to. There have been several positive test this year.

Richard

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Because now, apparently, you don't even have to test positive to be convicted and sentenced for doping. Rasmussen did not fail any drug tests, his crime was to allegedly lie about where he was for a few days when he missed some out of race doping tests. The failure to show for the tests was not enough for him to be in violation of any doping rules, but his team, caught up in the anti-doping hysteria and whitch hunt, canned him.

Old 07-30-07, 05:37 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Lance Effect.
He's no longer the center of their drama, now doping is.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 07-30-07, 05:41 PM
reef58

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all due respect I don't see how the absence of Lance increases the number of positive test. Are you saying the testers were so caught up in Lance they were not testing samples?

Richard

Originally Posted by CastIron
The Lance Effect.
He's no longer the center of their drama, now doping is.
Old 07-30-07, 05:45 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Right. He missed his 4 team-mandated tests because he was painting homes for Habitat for Humanity.

Last time I checked the sponsors don't care about whether an argument stands up in court.
Old 07-30-07, 06:09 PM
jqnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where in the Wide World of Sports has Smoothie gone? Never learned so much about this topic from anybody but him. Why the sympathy for Rass? HE KNEW THE RULES! One honest mistake.......yeah. But four tests prior to the biggest race of the year and clearly lying. OJ is more believable than this stick figure. If you want to feel bad for someone, how about Boogerd. His busted hump should smother the chicken!
Old 07-30-07, 09:52 PM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very simple: the expert, Dr. Fuentes' operation was shut down. Everyone had to look elsewhere and they had to do it fast (in time to make the TDF training schedule). They were stuck with people who were not experts.
Old 07-31-07, 06:26 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPete
Right. He missed his 4 team-mandated tests because he was painting homes for Habitat for Humanity.

Last time I checked the sponsors don't care about whether an argument stands up in court.
...you keep this up with the new avatars and you'll be right up there with blonde utah girl!

I have no sympathy for Rass....he knew the rules....he broke them. His team took action.

I say let the flushing of the aquarium water continue....out with the old school idiots that think they can continue with the old way...in with the clean new young breed of lions.
Old 07-31-07, 06:38 AM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
...you keep this up with the new avatars and you'll be right up there with blonde utah girl!

I have no sympathy for Rass....he knew the rules....he broke them. His team took action.

I say let the flushing of the aquarium water continue....out with the old school idiots that think they can continue with the old way...in with the clean new young breed of lions.
You sure about this?

So Contador beat the crap out of all these guys doping to the nines...sure!!!
Old 07-31-07, 07:05 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
^^^^ who did he beat the crap out of? he was 3 plus minutes down to the Chicken prior to his departure and won by less then 30 seconds. later.
Old 07-31-07, 07:42 AM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
^^^^ who did he beat the crap out of? he was 3 plus minutes down to the Chicken prior to his departure and won by less then 30 seconds. later.
Rasmussen on two mountain stages, Vino, Moreni, Mayo...
Old 07-31-07, 07:45 AM
San Rensho 

Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete

This is what I mean. Because of the anti-doping hysteria, everyone has already convicted him and assumes he did something before all the facts are in.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 07-31-07, 07:52 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is what I mean. Because of the anti-doping hysteria, everyone has already convicted him and assumes he did something before all the facts are in.
...but I guess my point would be that he thumbed his nose at the rules. He paid a price for that, whatever the motivation for the punishment by the team was. The rules are the rules.

Now, do I believe he was involved in something else that lead him to lying about where he was....sure I do, but that's speculation at this time. But if he wasn't, then why the lies?
Old 07-31-07, 09:35 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
...but I guess my point would be that he thumbed his nose at the rules. He paid a price for that, whatever the motivation for the punishment by the team was. The rules are the rules.

Now, do I believe he was involved in something else that lead him to lying about where he was....sure I do, but that's speculation at this time. But if he wasn't, then why the lies?
i agree. he broke the rules in a sport where just thinking about breaking the rules is a no no. who knows if he doped or not, but these actions do not help his case.

later.
Old 07-31-07, 01:36 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reef58
With all due respect I don't see how the absence of Lance increases the number of positive test. Are you saying the testers were so caught up in Lance they were not testing samples?

Richard
I'm not saying that. I was, in fact, blowing smoke out my ass.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.