Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

wheel component suggestions

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 02:37 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I trashed the wheels on my hybrid bike playing bike polo, so I'm replacing them. Actually, I found out that a bike shop in St. Louis has a wheel building clinic, so I've decided to build my own. So you know, I use this bike as a commuter, and at 285 lbs, the wheels have to be super tough.

I think I'm going to go with the following components:
- Alex Adventurer 36-spoke rims
- 14 ga. straight-gauge spokes
- Shimano XT hubs

What do you all think about that? I'm trying not to break the bank on these wheels, but I don't want to have to replace them again in a few thousand miles. Any advice is very welcome!

Thanks,
Tony
Old 08-14-07, 03:59 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds like a good setup to me. Similar to what stocks on the Surly LHT complete, IIRC. Should be a good, sturdy pair of wheels for you.

If I might make a suggestion, though:
Different bikes for commuting and polo. Your commuting rig will last a lot longer that way!
Old 08-14-07, 04:01 PM
Halthane

Bikes: 2001 Giant OCR w/105-10spd, Schwinn High-Plains Built for Commute plus 3 Others in Various Stages of Rebuild/Repair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those will be decent wheels. But I would switch to double butted spokes instead of the straight gauge.

Be cautious of Alex rims, you can probably get better rims for about the same price from sun or velocity.

Paul
Old 08-14-07, 04:29 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Sounds like a good setup to me. Similar to what stocks on the Surly LHT complete, IIRC. Should be a good, sturdy pair of wheels for you.

If I might make a suggestion, though:
Different bikes for commuting and polo. Your commuting rig will last a lot longer that way!
Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way Honestly, I don't think there is a bike that can hold up to bike polo, so I'll probably just find a "whatever's cheapest" special to use.
Old 08-14-07, 04:31 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halthane
Those will be decent wheels. But I would switch to double butted spokes instead of the straight gauge.

Be cautious of Alex rims, you can probably get better rims for about the same price from sun or velocity.

Paul
The reason I went with straight gauge is because they are stronger. Since I'm bigger, stronger = better, no?

Have you had bad results with the Alex rims? I've heard lots of good things about them, but honestly, not much on the bad side.
Old 08-14-07, 05:14 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Liked 1,892 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by trich
The reason I went with straight gauge is because they are stronger. Since I'm bigger, stronger = better, no?

Have you had bad results with the Alex rims? I've heard lots of good things about them, but honestly, not much on the bad side.
My Alex Rim, albeit low end, pulled through in 2 places. If you are going to buy the rim, why not get a set of Velocity or Mavic Open Pros or a version of the Mavic CXP's.

Old 08-14-07, 06:20 PM
Halthane

Bikes: 2001 Giant OCR w/105-10spd, Schwinn High-Plains Built for Commute plus 3 Others in Various Stages of Rebuild/Repair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Straight Gauge is not stronger. In a direct sense they are to a degree, but under the kinds of stresses relative to wheel longevity, primarily repetitive fatigue stresses, the butted spokes will last longer.

Reference:

https://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html a couple paragraphs down where he talks about the kinds of spokes.

Also search through the mechanics forum about butted spokes.
Old 08-14-07, 06:38 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nm!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 08-14-07 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-15-07, 12:31 PM
trich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halthane
Straight Gauge is not stronger. In a direct sense they are to a degree, but under the kinds of stresses relative to wheel longevity, primarily repetitive fatigue stresses, the butted spokes will last longer.

Reference:

https://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html a couple paragraphs down where he talks about the kinds of spokes.

Also search through the mechanics forum about butted spokes.
That Sheldon Brown link was very useful - thanks for passing it along... Now, if I can call and adjust my order in time...
Old 08-15-07, 06:53 PM
Halthane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Sheldon Brown link was very useful - thanks for passing it along... Now, if I can call and adjust my order in time...
No problem. Not sure how experienced you are as a cyclist, but sheldon's ENTIRE website is well worth the time to read.