Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

when I grow up I can be just like you

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

when I grow up I can be just like you

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-07, 02:53 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winter76
I don't wear fancy cycling clothes and I take no greater pleasure on my bike than catching up to and passing poser roadies all glamed up with matching tight tops and shorts, shaved legs riding at 15mph.
Roadies with shaved legs in spandex at 15 mph? I don't pass them. I coast behind them and ogle.

Oh, you meant *guys*? Ewww.
Old 08-30-07, 03:07 PM
divergence
del dot

Bikes: Tour Easy

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbarros
That being said, I was polite, and didn't insinuate that they could work up to commuting if they kept at it.
Probably for the best. They may not have what it takes; don't wanna give 'em false hope.
Old 08-30-07, 03:55 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are cool enuff to be rolling on a Van-D straight 7, the journeyman
roadie isnt even the same stratosphere as you
He really should consider loosening his helmet straps...........
Old 08-30-07, 04:25 PM
syn0n
livin' the nightmare

Bikes: '81 Centurion SS coversion, other ****

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Winter76
I don't wear fancy cycling clothes and I take no greater pleasure on my bike than catching up to and passing poser roadies all glamed up with matching tight tops and shorts, shaved legs riding at 15mph.
I also enjoy this activity greatly, but I think it's even more insulting to be passed by a punk-looking teenager on a BMX. They sometimes seem irritated, too.
Old 08-30-07, 05:54 PM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is the inevitable course any thread in this forum takes after mentioning the word roadie.

At this point I could really care less what anyone else thinks about how I dress, what I ride, or who I ride with. The anti roadie crowd has their own set of issues to deal with. IMHO

As long as it has 1 to 3 wheels it is cool with me.

Last edited by DataJunkie; 08-31-07 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-30-07, 07:14 PM
DVC45

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by swwhite
Age has made me more tolerant of others since I see more clearly my own faults. I would smile and thank them for their kind words, secure with the knowlege that the probably aren't riding their bikes to work in the rain, cold or snow, carrying many pounds of stuff. If they never find out the truth, who cares, and if they do, that makes my humility all the more satisfying.
My thoughts too.
Old 08-30-07, 08:54 PM
voileauciel
Wildman in the Sky

Bikes: Bianchi Bergamo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of this highfalutin BS is exactly why I eschew any and all bicycling magazines, club rides and most roadies when I see them: I am not a racer, nor will I ever be; I don't need to be Armstrong or Coppi, I don't want a full carbon Trek Madone that requires me to take out a mortgage on what's left of my soul just to insure the bloody thing, and most unequivocally, I DO NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, wish to be condescended to!

I see this balderdash all the time at the local cycling club: I show up, see someone new, all garbed up in their "team wear" though it's quite obvious that they're either so incredibly OCD that all they do is clean their bike, or they never actually ride it! Then, when I say, "Hey, how ya' doin? Nice bike!" their response is something akin to "Who are you, why are you looking at my precious toy, and why are you talking to me if you can't even dress up like a 'serious' roadie."

GRRRRRR!!! I'm getting so pissed right now!!! I AM SO SICK OF THIS ASININE, INSULTING AND MINDLESS RHETORIC that if I'm not "the EPITOME of perfection" in how I corner, how I pedal, or how I eat, that I'm not "fully experiencing" the pulchritudinous sensation of being Lance bloody Armstrong!

As far as I'm concerned, had I been in the OP's shoes, what that snooty little git said would have been an immediate call for me to lash out in ways I dare not describe...

Good day, ladies and gentlemen, I will now proceed to go and vomit until I pass out...
Old 08-30-07, 10:04 PM
specq
King of the Ramsey Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
You could have said (as you rode beside them) "you are where I am right now."
Followed immediately by an over-the-shoulder "you are where I used to be!"
Old 08-30-07, 10:32 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
My latest retort to these guys is "you must have left your cape in the phone booth super friend."
Old 08-30-07, 10:37 PM
voileauciel
Wildman in the Sky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Such witty remarks are no longer good enough for me. I'm seriously thinking of carrying a broom handle with me and jamming it into their wheels when they get too cocky. Maybe then they'll learn some humility...
Old 08-30-07, 11:58 PM
BCgoFHS
I like pie!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voileauciel
Such witty remarks are no longer good enough for me. I'm seriously thinking of carrying a broom handle with me and jamming it into their wheels when they get too cocky. Maybe then they'll learn some humility...
Ooo Mr. Internet tough guy, so scary.
Old 08-31-07, 12:13 AM
bad_mojo
The Loneliest Domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, isn't that something that Italians racing in Indiana might do?

As a roadie and a commuter, I'm struggling with self-esteem issues as I read these posts. Each half of me wants to hate the other half. What am I to do?
Old 08-31-07, 12:36 AM
barlows
It's just bikes...

Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '07 Trek T1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got to admit, I also don't get the whole "hate the roadie" thing. Sure, what that guy said to the OP was a stupid comment, I totally agree with that.

But what is it about road bikes that make them such a bad thing? I'm actually asking this as a serious question. I'm a noob, so I don't really know the answer. I commute on a road bike. I bought it cause I thought it was cool, I can admit that. It doesn't make me think I'm better than anyone. But I also don't think I should have to apologize for commuting on a road bike either. So what gives?

Steve
Old 08-31-07, 01:08 AM
BCgoFHS
I like pie!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bad_mojo

As a roadie and a commuter, I'm struggling with self-esteem issues as I read these posts. Each half of me wants to hate the other half. What am I to do?
Develop split personality disorder. I hear it's all the rage in France now.
Old 08-31-07, 01:08 AM
BCgoFHS
I like pie!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barlows
I've got to admit, I also don't get the whole "hate the roadie" thing. Sure, what that guy said to the OP was a stupid comment, I totally agree with that.

But what is it about road bikes that make them such a bad thing? I'm actually asking this as a serious question. I'm a noob, so I don't really know the answer. I commute on a road bike. I bought it cause I thought it was cool, I can admit that. It doesn't make me think I'm better than anyone. But I also don't think I should have to apologize for commuting on a road bike either. So what gives?

Steve
Personal insecurities is a wonderful thing!
Old 08-31-07, 04:58 AM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my first group ride the other night. A roadie, a couple of mountain bikers, and me on my cross bike (with skinny tires). We all got along!
Old 08-31-07, 06:21 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But what is it about road bikes that make them such a bad thing? I'm actually asking this as a serious question.
I'm with BCgoFHS: I think it's insecurity/an inferiority complex. People who are like this will read all kinds of insults and personal attacks into someone else's choice of clothing. Therapy: stand in front of a mirror every day reciting, "IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT ME." Repeat until it sinks in.
Old 08-31-07, 06:24 AM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve
You're right, there's nothing wrong with a road bike. Also, by 'roadies', this thread is referring to people riding $2000+ bikes. Even then, nothing wrong with that if it's something that you need, or just get a lot of enjoyment out of (and not at others' expense).

But to some, expensive bikes are just another status symbol. Think about the joker who buys the $75k sports car when the mid-life crisis clock went off, then acts like a condescending (wind) bag to anyone within shouting distance.

If I could sum it up - or try - expensive road bikes are kind of like unleashed dogs. Nothing inherently wrong with the dog - it's the annoying owner I can't stand.
Old 08-31-07, 06:47 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I hate people that look down on me for no reason, but it doesn't seem to happen bike-wise. I see roadies, and they either ignore/don't notice me (fine with me - they're involved in something focussed), or they nod, say hello, ask questions about whatever bike I'm riding. I've never had any snark, except for here on bikeforums! Indeed, in a curious incident on the day before the Tour Prologue in London, Alberto Contador walked into the room where I was training local government employees, lost on his way to a publicity photoshoot. He speaks so little English that I can't be sure, but I didn't get the impression that he was looking down on me for the fact that I was wearing cords and a button down shirt, and only riding a chair. Perhaps things would've been different if he'd seen me arrive on my battered Raleigh 20.....
Old 08-31-07, 07:13 AM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Dirt Hill
I think I would have smarted off to the guy...then wished I hadn't.
Don't feel bad, I'd have done the same. Some flippant remark would have escaped, then when I got to work and my heart rate dropped, I'd be thinking to myself that I stooped pretty low back there.

Anyhow, congrats on your mileage. I surprised myself with how many miles I've managed to squeeze in this year, but I still try to remain humble about it. There are people that just did the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200k brevet successfully who logged almost 750 miles in one event under the 90-hour time limit. That's 100 more miles than I've ever logged in a month, crammed into the span of less than 4 days. That alone should keep even some of the most hardcore roadies you encounter from bragging too much.

I agree, though. He was trying to encourage you, and he probably felt sorry for your "inferior" bicycle. Truth be known, my mountain bike-turned hybrid is pretty much the same speed as my road bike when I commute on it. 14 miles each way with a workbound average speed of about 19 MPH when I push either one of them pretty hard.

Take comfort in the fact that the engine is the one component that makes the most difference on a bike. Smile and wave to the elitist roadies, and know that there's a good chance you're putting more miles on than most of the ones you encounter who may ride more in a sitting than you, but only one or two days per week.
Old 08-31-07, 07:21 AM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Steve
I commute on a road bike, too. But it's been commuter-ized and most roadies look at it like it's some kind of cut-up contraption. Truth be told it's a purpose-built commuter bicycle complete with too many lights (2 fore, 2 aft), too many bottle cages (2), a rack (for the panniers when I'm commuting) and double-sided mountain bike clipless pedals, because I don't need the ground clearance for the extra 8-degrees of lean for those high speed canyon curves.

I also don't like the whole "hate the roadie" thing, however they are often elitist pricks that need to be put in place. That usually means keeping up with (on a stagger, no wheelsucking!) or dropping them on whatever contraption I happen to be riding. If they can keep up with me or pass me, they're obviously in better shape than I'm in (round is a shape, right?) and I'm in no position to teach them anything.

I hate the attitude instead of hating the person. Fortunately, I've learned to just brush it off.

Honestly, I think some COMMUTERS are just as elitist as the roadies that they piss and moan about. "*I* use my bicycle for transportation, not just as a weekend toy!"

If everyone would just get over themselves (including motorists), the world would be a better place.

Maybe I should stencil this onto the fronts and backs of my t-shirts:
YOU ARE NOT A BIG DEAL.
GET OVER IT.
Old 08-31-07, 07:30 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ax0n

Honestly, I think some COMMUTERS are just as elitist as the roadies that they piss and moan about. "*I* use my bicycle for transportation, not just as a weekend toy!"

If everyone would just get over themselves (including motorists), the world would be a better place.

QFT
Old 08-31-07, 07:33 AM
u1st

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of this highfalutin BS is exactly why I eschew any and all bicycling magazines, club rides and most roadies when I see them: I am not a racer, nor will I ever be; I don't need to be Armstrong or Coppi, I don't want a full carbon Trek Madone that requires me to take out a mortgage on what's left of my soul just to insure the bloody thing, and most unequivocally, I DO NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, wish to be condescended to!

I see this balderdash all the time at the local cycling club: I show up, see someone new, all garbed up in their "team wear" though it's quite obvious that they're either so incredibly OCD that all they do is clean their bike, or they never actually ride it! Then, when I say, "Hey, how ya' doin? Nice bike!" their response is something akin to "Who are you, why are you looking at my precious toy, and why are you talking to me if you can't even dress up like a 'serious' roadie."

GRRRRRR!!! I'm getting so pissed right now!!! I AM SO SICK OF THIS ASININE, INSULTING AND MINDLESS RHETORIC that if I'm not "the EPITOME of perfection" in how I corner, how I pedal, or how I eat, that I'm not "fully experiencing" the pulchritudinous sensation of being Lance bloody Armstrong!

As far as I'm concerned, had I been in the OP's shoes, what that snooty little git said would have been an immediate call for me to lash out in ways I dare not describe...

Good day, ladies and gentlemen, I will now proceed to go and vomit until I pass out...
Wow!

I was with you for the first part of the first paragraph, but then you had to go all "Travis Bickle" on us and now I'm a little scared.

If people really are comfortable with who they are and what they're riding or wearing, it shouldn't matter what another rider says. If it really does bother you(general), it probably means you have some latent self-esteem issues.

- just relax -

There's always going to be someone:
Who is faster. Or slower.
Whose bike is more expensive. Or less.
Who rides for fun. Or out of necessity.
etc., etc., and everything in between.

What's really funny is the folks who get so wrapped up in their 'anti-roadiness', that they become as insufferable as the riders they claim to despise. Hearing how someone 'blew by some roadies', while riding their Schwinn Collegiate and wearing wooden clogs and a hair shirt, is about as ridiculous as listening to a roadie explain why his carbon fiber bike is laterally stiff, yet vertically compliant.
Old 08-31-07, 09:05 AM
voileauciel
Wildman in the Sky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bad_mojo

Well, I am Italian, and I do occasionally ride to Indiana...so, yes, yes we do.

I had a really bad falling out with the group the other day, of a lot of ridiculous ****. I'm just through with poseurs...
Old 08-31-07, 10:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,651 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnwalker
The other side of the coin. Its possible that the roadies are doing 18mph on their recovery or warmup. You weren't huffing and puffing were you? Anyways I've met some really cool roadies who are OCP poster boys but can backup their looks with sheer power and speed. I'm just saying.

Anyways, you should have dialed it up to 400 watts and made them eat your dust.
Not me. I'd prefer to continue at my normal pace and take a long drink from the cold beverage in my hand; or maybe dismount and pick up a discarded deposit soda pop can. Either way I don't care what the few roadies I see when commuting, say or do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.