Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mounting Twist Grips on Road Bars

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 06:52 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Ok, so I've seen the bar-end thing that Harris has, but are there any other solutions?
Old 09-12-07, 12:26 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
I've seen a twist grip shifter mounted on the upright (vertical) part of the stem, over the headset; whether it'll fit, of course, depends... whether you'll like shifting that way, well... I didn't even bother trying it!

There are a variety of things you can mount to the handlebar that give you a place to put the shifter, sticking out perpendicular to the bar. I tried that for a while, and found I didn't like shifting that way, because I couldn't put the shifter someplace I wanted to put my hand (i.e. near a brake lever).

Here's something I've considered, but have not tried: make a doodad with the correct diameter that mounts to the handlebar, perpendicular to it, as above; mount the twist shifter on that, and mount a time trial brake lever at the end of it. You'd have the equivalent of a brake-lever-shifter-combo. If done right, it could be nice... if done wrong, it could be suicidal.
Old 09-12-07, 02:45 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm wondering about something which has a right angle, so that the shifter is parallel to the flats of the bars once it's mounted. I wondered whether those Minoura t bars for mounting lights etc might work....
Old 09-12-07, 04:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 1,601 Posts
What project are you doing? Context might help the creative juices flow.
Old 09-12-07, 08:47 PM
kickflipjr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could buy strait mtb bar ends and put them on the drops facing inward. Or you might be able to find the one type of road bar that curves inward after the drop.
Old 09-12-07, 09:58 PM
CaptainCool
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw some used drop bars at a bike shop around here that curved inward at the bottom. Never seen them before, but they seem to work like bar ends would.

Sheldon put twist shifters on Scott bars, but I'm guessing drops have tighter curves. https://sheldonbrown.com/scott.html#gripshift

The GMC Denali has two-part drops with twist shifters. Somehow I doubt there's a decent way to do this.
Old 09-13-07, 07:01 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
You could buy strait mtb bar ends and put them on the drops facing inward.
I tried that; MTB bars are thinner than "road" bars, and I couldn't get the MTB bar ends onto the drop bars at all. Maybe that was just the Profile bar ends I tried.
Old 09-13-07, 01:36 PM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have a specific project in mind. It's actually more that I think I have a good way of doing it (something like a bar end, but with a 90 degree bend so that you can clamp it near the stem, and have the twist grip aligned with, and parallel to, the flats), and I want to find out if such a thing is already in existence somewhere. If it is, it'd make a great addition to the lineup of my planned Utility focused OBS, and if it doesn't, I might need to look at getting it made.
Old 09-13-07, 02:00 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
a bit pricey - but should do it https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...15872ba42d333d
Old 09-14-07, 06:38 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thats just the sort of thing, though the Minoura ones are way cheaper, and I could get a more fit for purpose one made and still sell it WAY cheaper. Thanks for the link!
Old 09-14-07, 03:24 PM
johann

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here's another idea. Start with a MTB handlebar and add these:

https://www.endless-innovations.com/m...asp?ProdID=167
Old 09-14-07, 07:19 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about one of these things? I forgot what they were called until I remembered I had a photo saved. Did a quick search so you could get a name or a part number. I think they come in several sizes.

https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=35032
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
NobXL.jpg (27.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-17-07, 07:54 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Those could well work, specially if they were a bit longer.
Old 09-17-07, 02:12 PM
K6-III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I though Sachs used to make 8spd gripshift shifters for drops. Check ebay.