Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Monster Track, *****es

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Monster Track, *****es

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-07, 07:42 AM
Gordiep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CF4L
You know whats a good indication on the quality of a thread here? going to bed and it not existing yet, and then when you check here in the morning its already up to 4 (soon to be 5) pages.

Things I have learned from this thread:

1) Everyone hates Gordiep
2) Gordiep wants to commit vehicular homicide on everyone (including Baby Jesus and puppies)
3) Reading arguments on the internet is a great way to kill time at work
4) Falling on an icy bridge with cars chasing you at 35 mph does not mean you will die.
Well...I don't think that's fair.

I actually like puppies. But Baby Jesus...yeah, he's done for.

Originally Posted by cc700
gezus you people are like goldfish that think they're piranhas.
I've always thought of myself more as a sturgeon or something...

Originally Posted by 12XU
Ohio will tentatively be making the trek for Monster Track, a race for those with youthful, cock-out, wild abandon. For the rest of you titty babies, enjoy sipping your yerba mate.
I'm allergic to yerba. I have to drink filtered water from a hypo-allergenic sippy cup, while my private nurse massages my temples after one of my 'spells.'

Oh, you vicious brutes, why won't you leave me alone...

Last edited by Gordiep; 10-03-07 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 07:44 AM
12XU
Dismount Run Remount etc.

Bikes: A couple customs and some beaters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so I'm glad none of these responses have anything to do with the topic at hand. Ohio will tentatively be making the trek for Monster Track, a race for those with youthful, cock-out, wild abandon. For the rest of you titty babies, enjoy sipping your yerba mate.
Old 10-03-07, 07:50 AM
dudeman

Bikes: level, 78' shimano team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CF4L
4) Falling on an icy bridge with cars chasing you at 35 mph does not mean you will NOT die.
fixed
Old 10-03-07, 07:51 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
let's talk more about that awesome bag that had the ghosts on it.

and the audio track... wtf was up with that? was it sampled from the actual speech or was it recreated? it sounded lame and fake(the sample).
Old 10-03-07, 07:52 AM
kjohnnytarr
Instigator at best

Bikes: Motobecane Jury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did Gordiep respond to a post that came after his? (Witch! Burn the witch!)
Old 10-03-07, 07:52 AM
Gordiep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tinydr
So, who is this great gritty mass of honorable workers you're speaking of?
Does it matter? I think we've sufficiently demonstrated our idiocy in this thread, though I have something of a lead on the rest of you.

If you really want to continue the debate about messengering, PM me.
Old 10-03-07, 07:55 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kjohnnytarr
Witch! Burn the witch!
lawl!

that skitching fall was seriously some black magik stuff. how did he not get squeezed like a zit?
Old 10-03-07, 07:59 AM
1fluffhead

Bikes: Pake Track; Bianchi XL EV2 El Reparto Corse, Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some people here come from really small gene pools.
Old 10-03-07, 08:01 AM
Gyeswho
Utilitarian Boy

Bikes: Check the sig to find out

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
lawl!

that skitching fall was seriously some black magik stuff. how did he not get squeezed like a zit?
timing was all it was about with that. 1st time I saw it I was so scared for him. If a car were right behind the taxi or a little closer on the side of it...it would have not been pretty
Old 10-03-07, 08:09 AM
pino pomo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Affordable digital media and high bandwidth data transfer: God's special gift to the vain.
Old 10-03-07, 08:10 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
lol it's so true.

that dude who missed the shot of the 666 writing because he was fiddling with his speedlight.... ha!
Old 10-03-07, 08:18 AM
tinydr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by 1fluffhead
Some people here come from really small gene pools.
I come from a really big gene pool, I attribute everything to multiple head injuries.

Anyway, this has been a hoot, but if I don't brief for contracts I'm totally going to get called on, and she can be mean.

Old 10-03-07, 08:44 AM
awormiscoming
brokenblackhole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hahaha, it's true, so true
Old 10-03-07, 08:50 AM
sorsha6

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Madison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the riders were awesome and that the video was great.
However, I do own a car and I know that if a cyclist cut in front of me that close and I almost hit them I'd be damn angry. And upset, that I almost hit him.
So yes, it was awesome, but no, they're certainly not winning any points for the reputation of cyclists.
Old 10-03-07, 09:03 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tinydr
I was aware of their old-timey racing heritage.

An excellent point about off-season training, I forgot about that. Clearly they made some appearances on BMX freestyle bikes as well.

On the otherhand, I have my doubts that the popularity of fixed-gears sprung from offseason race-training... or BMX. But whatever, it was just a comment, it's entirely possible that fixed-gears could have reached their faddish popularity through any # of routes.
I have a great C+ article about the history of hill climbing time trials in the UK. Since the hills there are small and steep, the races are too. Just about every pic (they are mostly from the 50s and 60s) shows a guy on a fixed gear with a single front brake.

I met an old guy of British extraction who rode a brakeless (sometimes front braked) track bike on the road in the Greater Vancouver area from the 70s to the 90s, for commuting, road rides and touring. He picked up the habit from his dad, an even older british guy.

Basically, fixed road riding has deep UK roots. Sure though, i agree that the current fad is largely due to messengers.
Old 10-03-07, 09:06 AM
mander

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sorsha6
I think the riders were awesome and that the video was great.
However, I do own a car and I know that if a cyclist cut in front of me that close and I almost hit them I'd be damn angry. And upset, that I almost hit him.
So yes, it was awesome, but no, they're certainly not winning any points for the reputation of cyclists.
... that's a good point, people sometimes argue that because idiot cyclists only put themselves at risk that makes it OK. Seriously hurting or killing some young person, even if it's their fault and you don't get hurt yourself, is a big deal. it's something that will stay with most people for a really long time.
Old 10-03-07, 09:19 AM
V-Rock
Bean Counter

Bikes: Two old old road bikes (unsure of brand), my old Giant Iguana mountain bike, and my Mercier fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the sig Gordiep!!! I had been looking for something FUNNY with a touch of rhetorical irony. It fits me perfect. I have a "real job" too. How do you like yours? Do you feel like a sell out too? I kinda hate mine sometimes. But hell, I just love all this disposable income.

Bring on the new era of yuppie fixies.

EDIT: Apparently all that higher education can't teach you how to add a signature. But this is what it will be when it comes...
" I know that you guys like to glamorize what you do, but for the rest of the country, you're a joke. Go and work a real job, with people who don't have the privilege of spending their idle time dodging around in traffic, then you'll see what grit and balls really are."
Old 10-03-07, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked the video
Old 10-03-07, 09:33 AM
skelly
anarchy burger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordiep
If you think that messengers are working-class, then you've never understood the term. Messengers deliver packages for a living-- they're UPS guys on bikes. They perform a non-essential service. Anybody with the time and inclination to horse around like in that video isn't working class, fellah.

I know that you guys like to glamorize what you do, but for the rest of the country, you're a joke. Go and work a real job, with people who don't have the privilege of spending their idle time dodging around in traffic, then you'll see what grit and balls really are.
what part of nowhere do you live? most messengers ride mountain bikes and don't give a **** about alleycats. their fenders are made out of plastic and duct tape and they certainly don't glamorize what they do.
Old 10-03-07, 10:02 AM
toddistic
i'm importlandt

Bikes: conversion fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how i love pissing contests on the internet. provides a much needed relief from the daily drudgery of work.
Old 10-03-07, 10:04 AM
Negative Force
supervillain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skelly is correct.

And I'm not a messenger; haven't been in a couple years.

Still, it's disappointing that after actually taking the time to lay out points in an intelligent way, Gordiep's only response was to call me "fellah," argue a point that I never put forward, and then regress back into his tantrum-throwing. I never glorified messengers and, in fact, I never argued that they weren't "middle class" (even though the vast, vast majority of messengers are not).

I only questioned the colloquial label, implying that these are the same people as the ones you see driving their parents' cars and going to frat parties, rather than people who ride in this kind of traffic as a full time job, for upwards of ten hours a day.

Do you care to form a legitimate thought in response to what I did write, Gordiep? Or have you made yourself all worn out from your crusading against things and people you admit to not even having a faint understanding of.

Last edited by Negative Force; 10-03-07 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-03-07, 10:10 AM
Negative Force
supervillain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And by the way, isn't it charming that after I finally cleared up the definition of "rhetorical irony" for Gordeip, who had been waving it around like a flag-symbol of his "education," his response is to tell me to "get a real job?"

You seem like a relatively smart guy, Gordeip. This must be very hard for you.
Old 10-03-07, 10:12 AM
Mr. Samsa

Bikes: schwinn / converted fixed gear, Bianchi Pista , Miyata 10 speed( build up) and Giordana track bicycle(campy components included)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh..
The video was okay. I agree with everyone else saying it wasnt great Because:the editing was too much, the dual screen shots were not needed and the muisc or voice soundtracks was annoying. It looked like fun but wasnt a great" great" video. Lucas Brunelle vid's are my favorite..simple and nice.

I got in to work about an hour ago and there is way to much testosteron for me about Gordiep.
so all I can say about that is

thus
Old 10-03-07, 10:13 AM
shants
roll'em high

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 12XU
Ok so I'm glad none of these responses have anything to do with the topic at hand. Ohio will tentatively be making the trek for Monster Track, a race for those with youthful, cock-out, wild abandon. For the rest of you titty babies, enjoy sipping your yerba mate.
**** yeah, son.
Old 10-03-07, 10:22 AM
fischer, max
pajama jammy jam

Bikes: 2016 Ritte ACE (11s Record), 1991 Cinelli Supercorsa (10s Record), 1991 Merckx Grand Prix (11s Record), 1984 Guerciotti Pista (Record Pista)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you think that messengers are working-class, then you've never understood the term. Messengers deliver packages for a living-- they're UPS guys on bikes. They perform a non-essential service. Anybody with the time and inclination to horse around like in that video isn't working class, fellah.

I know that you guys like to glamorize what you do, but for the rest of the country, you're a joke. Go and work a real job, with people who don't have the privilege of spending their idle time dodging around in traffic, then you'll see what grit and balls really are.
this is just incredibly ignorant. most messengers are just scraping by to survive, performing manual labor for very little money, and being shat upon by the wealthy ******bags who exploit them. some are trust-fund kids doing it for the cool-factor, but most are not, which is something you should consider before claiming that all messengers aren't working-class and that they don't have what you deem a "real" job.

I've worked pretty ******** hard for my education, and I'm not going to holster it because you folks fancy yourself a bunch of plain-speaking regular guys. Don't like the terms I'm using? Challenge them. But I've got a suspicion, Mr. Fischer, that your supposed distaste for 'pseudo-intellectualism' has a more profound cause than my few comments.
yeah, well, you're not the only educated person on this board, nor are you the only one who has worked hard to become one. i'm not sure to what "profound cause" you are referring, but my distaste for your language comes from the fact that you sound like a wank, plain and simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.