Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub Bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 02:14 PM
mike_khad1
Commuter Animal

Bikes: 2006 Burley Hudson, 2008 Specialized Globe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hub Bearings

I know that sealed bearings require less maintenance then cup and cone loose bearings. However, since I do have the tools to maintain loose bearing hubs, should my next wheelset have sealed bearings or loose bearings? Is there any difference in performance between properly maintained loose bearings and good quality sealed bearings?
Old 10-07-07, 02:19 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Loose ball will always own cartridge bearings when properly adjusted - but the difference only really matters if you're racing.

If you're going to be doing all weather, around the year rides in crap conditions - do yourself a favour and **** the loose ball hubs. e.g commuting.
Old 10-07-07, 02:21 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
There are theoretical benefits to loose bearing hubs but the advantages are minor and have been debated endlessly. Shimano uses loose bearings in all of their hubs, including Dura Ace. Campy uses loose bearings in their high end hubs and is starting to use cartridge bearings in their lower lines if that means anything.
Old 10-07-07, 02:35 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mike_khad1
... However, since I do have the tools to maintain loose bearing hubs, should my next wheelset have sealed bearings or loose bearings?
I have both cartridge and loose bearing hubs. Cartridge bearings are virturally no maintenance and over the past 3-1/2 years on a mountain wheelset, I have zero issues with them. However, I love to wrench on my bikes and do miss the opportunity to sevice and adjust loose ball bearings. For some reason, knowing I packed the hubs and adjusted them just right, completes my entire riding experience. Yes, I am partial to the loose ball bearings.
Old 10-08-07, 04:17 AM
swifty
commuter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
I have both cartridge and loose bearing hubs. Cartridge bearings are virturally no maintenance and over the past 3-1/2 years on a mountain wheelset, I have zero issues with them. However, I love to wrench on my bikes and do miss the opportunity to sevice and adjust loose ball bearings. For some reason, knowing I packed the hubs and adjusted them just right, completes my entire riding experience. Yes, I am partial to the loose ball bearings.
You and me both. I really love to get the loose ball hubs just right. I get great satisfaction in the feeling of bearing play disappearing completely as I'm 1/3 rd from completely closing the QR

That said, I've run cup/cone bearings for 5000 km without any maintenance, and the hubs looked like new.
Old 10-08-07, 06:52 AM
well biked

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Shimano uses loose bearings in all of their hubs, including Dura Ace. Campy uses loose bearings in their high end hubs.........
Well, technically this isn't correct. Don't forget about the Dura Ace wheelsets and higher end Campy hubs we discussed not long ago that have the flexible, plastic bearing retainers. So these would be cup and cone, but not "loose."

To the OP, the term should really be "cartridge" bearings, not "sealed" bearings. Lots of cup and cone bearings are considered "sealed" (although some are better than others). I've got old hubs that are actually labeled "sealed bearing hubs" and they're simply cup and cone hubs with seals. Shimano's mtb hubs, which are of course cup and cone, are from my experience sealed very, very well-
Old 10-08-07, 08:12 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Well, technically this isn't correct. Don't forget about the Dura Ace wheelsets and higher end Campy hubs we discussed not long ago that have the flexible, plastic bearing retainers. So these would be cup and cone, but not "loose."
Difference duly noted but PLEASE, let's not open that topic again.
Old 10-08-07, 08:38 PM
well biked

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Difference duly noted but PLEASE, let's not open that topic again.

Agreed.
Old 10-09-07, 01:04 PM
mike_khad1
Commuter Animal

Bikes: 2006 Burley Hudson, 2008 Specialized Globe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone!!