Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Flat bar road bikes for commuting -Bianchi Camaleonte vs Scott Speedster S60 FB

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 03:29 PM
Fulci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you think of this type of bikes for commuting. They're full road bikes but with a flat bar and cost between €600 and €750.

Has anyone rid any of these?

Bianchi Camaleonte II Sora (I want it in black, not celeste blue - beautiful!)
https://www.bianchi.com/en/products2008/Sport_Y8BB2.aspx

Scott Speedster S60 FB
https://www.scottusa.com

And also, what do you think of the Scott Sub 20?
Old 11-03-07, 06:12 AM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, no one has an opinion on these?
Old 11-03-07, 10:23 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I like the Bianchi, but in Celeste. If you have the money, go with the Camaleonte 4 with 105 components. Alternatively, buy a used road bike and get a flat bar, Deore shifters and basic mtn brake levers.
Old 11-03-07, 10:49 AM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for you answer... I can't go for the Camaleonte IV. It's too expensive. My budget is around €600 but I could go for the €750 of the Camaleonte II if it's really worth the diference.
It's hard to get good used bikes around here, specially road bikes.

I do have an old and heavy steel mountain bike, but I'm not in the mood to spend a small fortune to make it anything good. I'd rather get a new one, and the in a couple of years change what is needed.

I'm almost definitely going for the Scott SUB 20, but I'm still considering those other two.
Plus, no one stocks these bike in my country, so they're just available through ordering, so I can't try them out to see what fits me the best and most confortable.
Old 11-03-07, 12:21 PM
gulfcoast
THE NEW EVOLUTION

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite, 2008 Masi Speciale CX, 1997 Giant Yukon (4130 Steel)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bianchi looks nice. Have you checked out the Jamis Coda series bikes; Very fast, well designed, steel frame, comfortable riding bikes and a good value.
Old 11-03-07, 01:01 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
+1 on what Gulfcoast said ' bout the Jamis.
Of your choices, I like the Bianchi too.
Old 11-03-07, 08:32 PM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
+2........look a Jamis Coda if you can......other wise the Bianchi

Old 11-04-07, 06:02 AM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's very difficult to get Jamis around Portugal. I have looked but didn't found any seller. The importer is in Spain, so it's hard to get them. The Bianchi's are also hard, but I found a store selling them in 50km from here.

But what do you think of flat bar road bikes as commuters? Is it better to get a goat horn road bike or a hybrid than these?
Old 11-04-07, 10:09 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fulci
It's very difficult to get Jamis around Portugal. I have looked but didn't found any seller. The importer is in Spain, so it's hard to get them. The Bianchi's are also hard, but I found a store selling them in 50km from here.

But what do you think of flat bar road bikes as commuters? Is it better to get a goat horn road bike or a hybrid than these?

How far is your commute? I would put at least a barend or a trekking bar for added hand position option. If its less than 10mi, then a straight handlebar would probably be okay.

My hybrid commuter;

A flat bar road bike would be a lot zippier than a hybrid bike for sure.

Last edited by DVC45; 11-04-07 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-04-07, 11:00 AM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 to 30 min. It's only 4 or 5 miles but it's on a hill, so it's always climbing, so it takes a little longer...

The Bianchi already comes with the bar extensions but anyway, it only costs €20 or 30 for the Scott ones...
Old 11-04-07, 11:51 AM
stormchaser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't add anything other than this; when I first saw the title of your thread I thought 'What manufacturer is naming their bike ********?'
Old 11-04-07, 04:32 PM
Coronado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here my Sub20, very fast and very light. Although without racks I don't use it so offen to commute.
Old 11-05-07, 06:34 AM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm probably going for the SUB20... What else did you change besides the handlebar?

Last edited by Fulci; 11-05-07 at 06:41 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 11:48 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Beware with caliper-brake versions such as the Speedster. If they use std sizr racing calipets you wont have enough tyre clearance for practical use. If the frame is designed around long drop calipers you can fit 32mm + fenders which is enough for bad roads in wet conditions.
Some flat-bar road bikes do away with rack and fender eyelets altogether.
Old 11-05-07, 01:26 PM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the Bianchi comes with a pair of 28's and I don't know if it has any place to put the fenders and rack. I don't know about the Speedster either, but the tires come in 28. The fork doesn't seem to have any eyelets on any of the bikes though, but my only concern is for the rack, as I won't probably be riding much often on rainy days.

The SUB20 comes with a 32's, but it's the 26'' version as there isn't any site specifying the 700's, but this has the eyelets for fender and rack, as Scott sells a kit for €60 with both of them, plus a stand or holder or whatever it's name. This bike was made for this anyway. I just want to take a look at the Bianchi and then I'll decide it, but I'm going almost definitely going for the SUB20. It looks pretty cool and it's only around 24lbs.
Old 11-07-07, 11:28 AM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.orbea.com/caste/interior....=39&modelo=114

What about this one, the Orbea Aneto? Does anyone have one or knows anything about her?
It's beautiful, mostly Tiagra, carbon fork...
Old 11-08-07, 12:45 AM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.orbea.com/caste/interior....=39&modelo=114

What about this one, the Orbea Aneto? Does anyone have one or knows anything about her?
It's beautiful, mostly Tiagra, carbon fork...
Very pretty, as are all the Orbea's. The wheels are pretty low spoke-count, and that cassette isn't going to give you a very wide gear range. Those factors, to me, speak to it being more of a speedster than a commuter.

I've ridden both the Scotts -- we sell Scott at the shop I work at. The Sub 20 is more suitable as a commuter, IMO. However, I'm not crazy about either one for this purpose. I've never ridden the Bianchi.

I suppose these flat-bar road bikes hit a certain target audience, but I'm not a fan, especially for a commuting application. Like hybrid bikes in general, the flat-bar road bikes try to strike a balance but really just end up leaving you wanting. For a true commuter, I think you want something with a little more beef -- these flat-bar road bikes (especially as you go toward the higher performance end) are a bit too delicate to carry a load and take the pounding. Conversely, as a road bike, they fall short because I think you really want a drop bar on a serious road bike for the efficient riding position and the ability to vary your hand position. About the only people I really feel right about putting on these flat-bar road bikes are the people that want a performance road bike, but can't ride one because they have some physical limitation from a prior neck or back injury that prevents them from riding the drop-bar position.
Old 11-08-07, 02:16 AM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The flat bar road bike setup is ideal for commuting, provided the components are robust and not flimsy lightweight stuff. The flat bar gives good control on all surfaces and speeds, and you get solid trigger or grip shifters and brake levers instead of the stupid wobbly brifters that drop bars come with. Don't know about the particular models mentioned above. Both frame and fork should have anchors for mounting fenders and rack, but it's not hard to make your own mounting points if absolutely necessary.

Last edited by bkrownd; 11-08-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-08-07, 06:27 AM
Coronado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm probably going for the SUB20... What else did you change besides the handlebar?
I bought frame and fork, and then I choose the rest of the components. I was using the Tiagra triple crank in another bike, so I bought some LX shifters, levers and with some more parts I had around I finished it.

I wish I had cyclocross bikes or frames around here, but it's not even known here! That's a shame...
Old 11-08-07, 09:04 AM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah... That's the problem here too... There is no commuting tradition here in Portugal, even the road laws are against the cyclists, so there is no market for any of these. If I want one of these bikes, I have to order them, so there's no way I can try them on before buying. There is no cyclocross nor urban nor hybrid nor anything. If you want a bike, you get a mountain bike because it's all there is for sale here. Most people probably don't even know there are bikes other than mountain bikes. That's why all we see on the streets are off road bikes. Anyway, thanks for the help and opinions.

The Orbea looks pretty cool, though it comes with an aluminum fork, which must be painful to ride. It's goes for €616. The Scott has a new price for the 2008 model, costing €700! Too expensive for me.

I just don't know if the Orbea has the eyelets for the rack.
Old 11-08-07, 09:08 AM
Fulci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.orbea.com/caste/interior....=39&modelo=115

I'm sorry... this is the one that costs €616, the Anayet. The Aneto goes for €750! It's a mix of Sora and Tiagra, but pretty cool too.
Old 11-08-07, 12:51 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I want one of these bikes, I have to order them, so there's no way I can try them on before buying.
That's unfortunate, since you want to find a comfortable configuration for your purpose. There's a lot of difference in how "hybrid", touring, flat-bar, road racing and mountain bikes feel in when used in different conditions. Also, when you buy a bike from a dealer you can swap components to get it configured and sized the way you like - tires, stems, saddles, etc...

Last edited by bkrownd; 11-08-07 at 01:03 PM.